Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Dec 6, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #8,791 of 9,690
I have not tried the EQ setting (on 1AM2) since it does not have an exact 10khz setting but currently, I have 2 things to reduce this peak: dekoni hybrid pads and tube amplification (BA300s and MT-604). The vinyl processing does affect to this peak a little bit too :smile_phones:
Thanks for the suggestions, good to have some other approaches than the Sony Kimber + TA.
I've always wanted to try the BA300s and liked the idea of the portability but talked myself out of it as I didn't want to add any more to the already hefy 1Z. I'd always had my mind set on a TA.

Dec 6, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #8,792 of 9,690
Thanks for the suggestions, good to have some other approaches than the Sony Kimber + TA.
I've always wanted to try the BA300s and liked the idea of the portability but talked myself out of it as I didn't want to add any more to the already hefy 1Z. I'd always had my mind set on a TA.
So you should try dekoni pads

Dec 7, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #8,794 of 9,690
My IER-Z1R have always been my go to for music. To help justify buying these again I intend to use mostly daily for TV and movies. Forgetting about physical sizing factors, does anyone who owns both the MDR-Z1R and MDR-Z7 actually prefer the Z7 for movies purely for sound?

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #8,795 of 9,690
My IER-Z1R have always been my go to for music. To help justify buying these again I intend to use daily for TV and movies. Does anyone who owns both actually prefer the Z7 for movies purely for sound, forgetting about the physical sizing factors?
I had a Z7M2 and I prefer the Z7M2 for watching the movie since its big dynamic driver make everything sound more lively, another advantage is wearing it for 2-3 hours is more comfortable than the IER

Dec 7, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #8,796 of 9,690
I had a Z7M2 and I prefer the Z7M2 for watching the movie since its big dynamic driver make everything sound more lively, another advantage is wearing it for 2-3 hours is more comfortable than the IER
I just realised my post was not clear, I meant between the MDR-Z1R and Z7 (M2).

Dec 7, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #8,797 of 9,690
I just realised my post was not clear, I meant between the MDR-Z1R and Z7 (M2).
Z1R, its soundstage is really good for movies, but the Z7M2 has more bass quantity :smile_phones:

Dec 8, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #8,798 of 9,690
So you should try dekoni pads
Yeah, i second this. I've changed the OG pads for the Dekoni sheepskin and it really improved the presentation for me. There's less bass boominess and the rest of the frequencies have more space and they come upfront, it also adds more detail retrieval, since the bass it tamed a bit.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #8,801 of 9,690
I will soon be able to tell you, because I have a pair of Z7M2 heading my way :xf_cool:
I was rereading this thread to upsell myself on owning these again and came across one of your posts about seeing yourself in the mirror and how dorky they look. That is one of my concerns as I have an S sized mens head and I recently saw in old picture my partner took of our cat with me in the back wearing them and suddenly felt very self conscious. I'll only ever wear them at home but...

Dec 8, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #8,802 of 9,690
Dec 8, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #8,803 of 9,690
I was rereading this thread to upsell myself on owning these again and came across one of your posts about seeing yourself in the mirror and how dorky they look. That is one of my concerns as I have an S sized mens head and I recently saw in old picture my partner took of our cat with me in the back wearing them and suddenly felt very self conscious. I'll only ever wear them at home but...
If appearance on the head is a big issue, Z7M2 wins there. It's significantly smaller. I know that just from my experience with the Mark 1.

But I'll be comparing a bit more than that. :wink:

Dec 8, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #8,804 of 9,690
If appearance on the head is a big issue, Z7M2 wins there. It's significantly smaller. I know that just from my experience with the Mark 1.

But I'll be comparing a bit more than that. :wink:
Yes, the Z7 has the same dimensions and offer a pleasant wearing experience.
What are your reasons for the Z7M2 purchase? Need a more portable set or a different flavour?
I wanted to demo the M2 in Japan but the store was busy and had a 6.3mm cable connected to an amp so I could try with my Walkman. I ended up with a good priced Z7 for movies, which do the job, but for music they are a very hit and miss, hence the idea of returning to the Z1R.

Dec 8, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #8,805 of 9,690
And they still look better than wearing a pair of 1266! :beyersmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back