Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jul 31, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #5,416 of 9,746
Does Lavri Cable make any pure copper cable? I could only seem to see silver on the website. I definitely prefer cooper.
Lavricables only makes silver cables with different thicknesses/cores. I’m going back and forth between copper and silver cables and which one I prefer more with the Z1R’s. Silver cables do bring out some welcomed improvements with then Z1R’s, I can’t deny that.

Jul 31, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #5,417 of 9,746
You don’t find the cable to bright sounding? From what I’m hearing with the Z1R’s, a copper cable would be the better choice.
A high quality pure silver cable will not sound bright. It will transmit everything from the source to the headphone and resolve every detail.

A silver plated cable like the stock one can make the highs sound harsh due as it will attenuate the highs. People recommend an all copper cable for the Z1R over the stock for this very reason. Very few will recommend pure silver due to its cost.

I would love the AXIOS Ag but not at $3,662.50. I am thinking about either a DoubleHelix or Norme pure silver that can range from $800-$2000 as an alternative.

Jul 31, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #5,418 of 9,746
A high quality pure silver cable will not sound bright. It will transmit everything from the source to the headphone and resolve every detail.

A silver plated cable like the stock one can make the highs sound harsh due as it will attenuate the highs. People recommend an all copper cable for the Z1R over the stock for this very reason. Very few will recommend pure silver due to its cost.

I would love the AXIOS Ag but not at $3,662.50. I am thinking about either a DoubleHelix or Norme pure silver that can range from $800-$2000 as an alternative.
Why not the Lavricables? It's half that price , i'm seriously considering giving it a go, just deciding between 1.5m and 3m.And no dac yet so no point in ordering it to use with a Mojo, just feels wrong LOL.

Jul 31, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #5,419 of 9,746
Why not the Lavricables? It's half that price , i'm seriously considering giving it a go, just deciding between 1.5m and 3m.And no dac yet so no point in ordering it to use with a Mojo, just feels wrong LOL.
I haven't heard much about them versus the other two. I also have no idea where they are located and I like to know where a company is located before buying from them.

I have purchased DoubleHelix cables for my Campfire IEMs and vouch for them. I've been looking at Norne as an alternative to try.

Jul 31, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #5,420 of 9,746
Being european and no import fees is enough for me. In theory better conductivity should be better ( if everything else being the same) . A silver cable should only make a headphone sound overly bright if there is some brightness to enhance instead of subdue (like the copper cables do).
For example i'm a bit worried that adding the M-scaler to the Dave apparently introduces some RF noise that causes brightness/digital glare. Not sure how overblown it is , but it's enough to make some people not want to use it.
In that case the copper cable could help , but it's more a case of..2 wrongs don't make a right. A better way to do it would be to solve the RF noise issue using ferrites and use a silver cable . That would be the most transparent solution in theory , even if the results might be similar. Also a lot more expensive.
So i'd guess if there was a brightness issue that needed to be subdued the source would probably be somewhere else.

Like *cough* dac/amps with bad psu design and dirty power *cough*

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #5,421 of 9,746
i'm a bit worried that adding the M-scaler to the Dave apparently introduces some RF noise that causes brightness/digital glare.

A bit off-topic here, but this is not true. If anything, it reduces digital glare. Ask in the M Scaler thread for more details though.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #5,422 of 9,746
A bit off-topic here, but this is not true. If anything, it reduces digital glare. As in the M Scaler thread for more details though.
Haven't you followed the Dave thread these last few days? The whole Wave BNC Cables company was basically founded on this , and even Rob Watts uses them (1.5k cables..lol) so that's as much of an admission as we're going to get.

Jul 31, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #5,423 of 9,746
I haven't heard much about them versus the other two. I also have no idea where they are located and I like to know where a company is located before buying from them.

I have purchased DoubleHelix cables for my Campfire IEMs and vouch for them. I've been looking at Norne as an alternative to try.
Yes I like that audio sensibility is in Toronto, my home town. I try to buy Canadian where I can, hence the bryston stuff.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #5,424 of 9,746
They're essentially 100 euro bnc cables with ferrites on them being sold for 10 times the price because they "target the frequency of the RF that the M-scaler generates "

Jul 31, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #5,427 of 9,746
Jul 31, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #5,429 of 9,746

I agree. The stock SPC sounds ok, but there is some harshness and the Z1R has peaky highs with this cable. The next up the price line seems to be the Sony/Kimber copper cable. This removes the harshness and high peaks to a great degree, and is affordable. I found this to be pretty good bang for the buck.

Going up the line is thicker (and/or more pure) copper, and silver cables. They can provide a little further refinement, at a significant cost increase. It just depends how much you are willing to spend. Some folks are fine spending $500+ to get the last bit of improvement from the Z1R. I figured if I was going to spend that much on a cable to improve the Z1R, maybe I should take that money and improve my amp. For those willing to add $500+ to this Z1R investment, there are lots of options going cable improvement, or headphone improvement, or other chain improvements.

None of these choices are wrong, that's the fun part of this hobby. By buying a Sony/Kimber cable to get rid on the major harshness and peaky highs, I had some $$$ left over for other improvements. It's all trade-offs and system synergy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back