Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jun 22, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #7,156 of 9,690
This was experience lol. All I listen to wired now are pretty much TOTL, wireless is a different story but I think I’ve landed on a few higher end ones which covers all genres pretty well. I wish Sony would do a TOTL wireless similar to the Z1R.

Getting a second pair is a good idea, if they ever go on a deep sale I think I’ll do that. Alternatively, extra pads and a band would cost me about 450AUD - I guess it’s unlikely the drivers would ever give in.
any idea what the price for a new headband is? i see that as the main weakness of the mdr-z1r.. noticing some crumpling on mine. Wondering if this is maybe something that got reinforced later in production.. mine is in the 400 serial number range.. also does anybody know just how many of these are produced? what is the highest serial number seen in the wild?

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #7,157 of 9,690
Jun 22, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #7,158 of 9,690
Regarding serial numbers..
I found a review dating from one month ago on sony.com where a guy showcased his with serial number 10941

Jun 23, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #7,161 of 9,690
I find it hard to believe there is a better silver cable out there than the Draug Silver
Yeah I never thought I would outgrow the Silver Draug on the Z1R. But now compared to stock though it is much more detailed and resolving I find the highs and leading edges too prominent and detracts from relaxed listening, so I went back to stock. Am about to order an Axios CU.

Jun 23, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #7,163 of 9,690
That’s very interesting! But the difference is marginal in plugged mode! That’s a lot of coin for just slightly better results, with both plugged in!

I bet you could still clean the power to the DMP-Z1, plugged-in?

I always wanted to know what the MDR-Z1R would do with simply more power than the TA was capable of? But your saying even plugged in both are very close to the same? I thought (just guessing) that the damping factor would clean up the lower midrange just slightly over the TA? I mean I owned the TA for years and didn’t know about the possibility of what better a more powerful amp could do? Actually I didn’t even hear an issue? (At first) I still don’t know if there really is a small damping issue with the TA? I do need to try a DMP-Z1.

The other thing that’s happening is I have the WA5 LE showing up in about year. I will go TA DAC out to the WA5 LE and see if the extra damping does anything? The WA5 LE is one of my first amps but it has been in storage, forever! It can even run the Susvara.
what I mean marginal is that it is not day and night difference. But there is a big difference when I listen DMP-Z1 in battery mode. That is the reason the designer of DMP-Z1, Sato san suggested to listen it in battery mode.

Some owners of DMP-Z1 said that there is a 15% improvement (as compared to battery mode) if using a LPSU.

Jun 23, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #7,164 of 9,690
Having gone through my fair share of gaming headphones, then some mid-fi ones and now this sure made me realize what the differences are between the tiers.
Feels pretty good to not have the desire to try anything new in the headphone arena. Just gotta get the tazh1es now and call it a day..

Even second hand the TOTL Sony gear was beyond what I was comfortable spending so I was always trying achieve the best bang for buck, which was often great sounding and could be excellent value but always left me wanting to go to the next level. Also following the Sony threads it is hard not to want to share the experience of the top tier gear.
I got an absolute bargain for my MDR-Z1R second hand which was my first taste of TOTL, then I reassessed what's important to me decided to go all the way with the IER-Z1R and TA-ZH1ES (second hand).
The step up in quality is alone worth what I spent, but the peace it has given me not wanting the next step up is of equal value.

Bought my cans used for slightly above half of retail. Very good value and it is not like the price will depreciate any further.. bang for buck has always been a thing for me as well. Will probably try to get a used TAZH1ES for about the same. Most of those who sell these things take good care of them anyways so its not like one is taking a risk financially as with hyped over-advertised gear that is new to the market and might flop.
Finding a setup one is satisfied with and not longing for anything else is valuable indeed because judging by a lot of the forum activity it could become a costly obsession, always searching for something better. Glad i am not stuck in "mid-fi hell" anymore.
In a wild way it’s thrifty........ as you don’t have to buy anything else. You save as no more curiosity or compulsive spending! Of course you could wonder about the DMP-Z1? Still the TA is pretty good, it does it for me with the MDR-Z1R and IER-Z1R.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #7,165 of 9,690
In a wild way it’s thrifty........ as you don’t have to buy anything else. You save as no more curiosity or compulsive spending! Of course you could wonder about the DMP-Z1? Still the TA is pretty good, it does it for me with the MDR-Z1R and IER-Z1R.
It’s the best to be. I’m proof positive of that

Jun 23, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #7,166 of 9,690
Yeah I never thought I would outgrow the Silver Draug on the Z1R. But now compared to stock though it is much more detailed and resolving I find the highs and leading edges too prominent and detracts from relaxed listening, so I went back to stock. Am about to order an Axios CU.
Instead of the AXIOS Cu I would suggest the DHC Complement C https://doublehelixcables.com/product/complementc/

Jun 23, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #7,167 of 9,690
Of course you could wonder about the DMP-Z1?
Well, of course i do because that piece of equipment is sexay, but i don't have eff off money until my plans of becoming an international super crook comes into fruition.

Jun 23, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #7,169 of 9,690
Well, of course i do because that piece of equipment is sexay, but i don't have eff off money until my plans of becoming an international super crook comes into fruition.
You'd be better off forming an international super crook team, I'm in.
Price and availability make the DMP-Z1 a bit of a unicorn for most of us. The TA-ZH1ES is a satisfying step up from my WM1A and will be my endgame amp, I hope, mock me later.

Jun 23, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #7,170 of 9,690
Norne Audio also has all copper option w/c is slightly larger guage than the DHC and awaiting for quote. Not sure I wish to deal w/ long unpredictable wait times of DHC but they do make outstanding cables.
DHC wait time is now down to 2 weeks according to their website. On my last order it was less than 2 weeks from order to delivery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back