Sony Xperia Z5 Range - Audio Quality
Nov 9, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #241 of 407
Has anyone tried Audio-Technica IM70 and Xiaomi Pistons with these? How do they sound and is there hissing?

Also, how loud are they with something like the ATH-M50x?

Nov 9, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #242 of 407
  Just got my Sony Xperia Z5 today. 
I have been using a meridian explorer with my Samsung Galaxy S4 for years now. 
My DAC is not recognized by the new Z5 I don't know yet if that is because the phone is under powered for the supply to the dac compared to the S4 yet because my OTG does not have a outside source power connection. 

I will have to make a new OTG cable with the outside power capability and try this again. 
If that is the case it's going to suck to have to also carry a power bank with my DAC and Z5 now.

Just created the powered OTG cable and verified that no my Meridian Explorer does not work with the New Sony Xperia Z5. The new Cable works with my Samsung G4 still which it did from day 1. So I am not sure if this is Sony's brand blocking my Meridan from being recognized or if it is the new Android 5. 

Anyone else have this same experience?

Nov 10, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #243 of 407
  Just created the powered OTG cable and verified that no my Meridian Explorer does not work with the New Sony Xperia Z5. The new Cable works with my Samsung G4 still which it did from day 1. So I am not sure if this is Sony's brand blocking my Meridan from being recognized or if it is the new Android 5. 

Anyone else have this same experience?

I don't own a Z5, but according to GSMArena:

"USB host functionality is present, but requires a little more work than simply plugging in a device. There is a special menu under Xperia Connectivity in the setting that allows you to "discover" a plugged USB device. It still works as expected, but it requires some extra legwork. This is most likely related to the aforementioned coverless USB that might be vulnerable to shortages under water."

Source: http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z5-review-1326p3.php

So maybe you just need to adjust the settings on your phone?

Nov 11, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #244 of 407
Sound quality is very good with IEMs, using my Westone 2s. These are very efficient.. However it  is underpowered for cans, even my ATH M50 are too much. (still sounds good but not loud enough even indoors with no background noise).

I was tossing up between this and HTC M9 mainly from an audio perspective. If i wanted to use it with headphones Sony would be off the list.

For me I made the right choice as with the Westones it goes way loud enough..and the trademark Sony sound gets tamed a little with the slightly dark nature of the Westones..i love it. Great phone, 

Nov 15, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #246 of 407
did anyone compare the xperia z5 with the xperia z5 premium 

also how does the xperia z5 compare to lgv10 or note 5

Nov 15, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #248 of 407
Lg v10 is the only phone that has dedicated audio codec right now out of those 3 you listed

so what's the high res then in z5 that sony is talking about

Nov 15, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #249 of 407
Sony considers Redbook and up to be Hi-res.

Nov 15, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #250 of 407
Nov 15, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #251 of 407
Well, Sony's definition of Hi-Res is CD quality audio (44.1 kHz sample rate and 16 bit depth) and higher.

Nov 17, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #252 of 407
Nov 17, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #253 of 407
  what dac does the sony have

so does it support 192/24 bit?

I don't think so.
This is what i found on Sony's site, it is about the Z3 but audio wise i don't think a lot has changed:

"The secret is Sony’s DSEE HX (Digital Sound Enhancement Engine) technology, which refines and restores heavily compressed MP3 and AAC files, upscaling your low-res songs to near high-resolution sound quality."

That does not sound very convincing.
ph34r.gif

Guys like Withigear dug deep into the audio specs of the experia range, maybe they can come up with some answers.

Nov 19, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #255 of 407
  what dac does the sony have

so does it support 192/24 bit?

We know that the Sony Xperia Z3 / Z3 Compact use Qualcomm Audio Codec and two TFA9890 chips. We could say that nothing changed on the Z5 range because they have almost the same audio quality compared to the previous Z3 range.

I also tested the new Z5 and Z5C demo terminals with the older Z3 one, all in one time at the shopping center with my MDR-EX450... and the result was: "lol, just the same?"

Now I'm waiting for the Z5 Premium demo comes in Italian shopping centers; I'll try that device too with same IEM's and up to date this post with my impressions. So stay tuned :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back