Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Dec 20, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #2,056 of 2,298
both are very good, n3 is a bit more lively with more bass presence and high freq energy and the fit is better for me, but for everything else i prefer the m9. i tend to think i enjoy the tuning/sound sig of the n3 more since it has better subbass and what not, but the m9 is just too good. to briefly clarify, it is very detailed, but smooth, easy to listen to, sounds very natural and coherent. if there's any complaint i'd have is that i wish it had a touch more bass, but with long listening sessions i barely even notice that and just lose myself to the music which i think is the goal at the end of the day.
Thank you - I was thinking of getting the M9 imported as Sony have chosen not to make them available in Switzerland. However from simply that sentence I know that the M9 probably wouldn't suit me as I already find the N3 to be just a bit too polite in the upper registers, giving it a feeling of being a touch too smooth - despite that it's still the best IEM I've heard so far in the sub $1000 category.

Dec 20, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #2,057 of 2,298
Dec 21, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #2,058 of 2,298
For those that have the 4.4 balanced cable for N3, when volume matched, much difference vs SE?

Dec 22, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #2,059 of 2,298
Do they still sell the N3 brand new? Like on Amazon JP?

As time goes on, it'll be more and more difficult to get them new since Sony discontinued them. Therefore, if you want to get a set, don't wait for too long since they're already not available anymore from most sellers that used to stock them.

Dec 22, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #2,060 of 2,298
As time goes on, it'll be more and more difficult to get them new since Sony discontinued them. Therefore, if you want to get a set, don't wait for too long since they're already not available anymore from most sellers that used to stock them.
Is it confirmed that Sony has discontinued them? There are still new units on accessoryjack and amazon.jp

Dec 22, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #2,061 of 2,298
Is it confirmed that Sony has discontinued them? There are still new units on accessoryjack and amazon.jp

I don't think that any official statement has been made, however everything unfortunately hints into that direction. All of the other major stores that I know that used to stock them don't carry them anymore (listed as not available or soon available again (the latter, however, since last year, so "soon" doesn't seem to be the case)). They're listed as "not available" on the official Sony website web store. Sony has never really been known for carrying their current line of headphones/IEMs for a longer time (see the XBA-X and XBA-X0 or XBA-X00 series as an example - all have had a comparatively short production time before they were discontinued).

Dec 22, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #2,062 of 2,298
I don't think that any official statement has been made, however everything unfortunately hints into that direction. All of the other major stores that I know that used to stock them don't carry them anymore (listed as not available or soon available again (the latter, however, since last year, so "soon" doesn't seem to be the case)). They're listed as "not available" on the official Sony website web store. Sony has never really been known for carrying their current line of headphones/IEMs for a longer time (see the XBA-X and XBA-X0 or XBA-X00 series as an example - all have had a comparatively short production time before they were discontinued).
Yeah, I have seen those hints for sure. Just that I have no clue where Accessoryjack or amazon.jp gets all their new units. I did actually remember seeing that accessoryjack sold out their units on the N3AP, then later on, they suddenly had it back in stock (although at 350 usd instead of 280 usd (when I bought it)).

Dec 22, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #2,063 of 2,298
Yeah, I have seen those hints for sure. Just that I have no clue where Accessoryjack or amazon.jp gets all their new units. I did actually remember seeing that accessoryjack sold out their units on the N3AP, then later on, they suddenly had it back in stock (although at 350 usd instead of 280 usd (when I bought it)).

I guess it's new old stock from Japan. I generally observed that when a product is discontinued, Japan is usually the last place from where they're available before being gone for good. AccessoryJack probably got a bunch of them from some Japanese seller (or imported a bunch from Amazon).

Dec 23, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #2,064 of 2,298
Evening Ladies & Gents.

Hope this finds you all well with Xmas coming round so quickly!!!!

I have a pair of brand new XBA-N3AP which I was keeping until my current IEMs went pop, but they haven't....I have taken them out of its box to check them out but that is all. So all original packaging in excellent condition!!

So the million dollar question is what is considered the next level up IEM focused for any type of dance, house, uplifting trance, drum and bass... music of all flavour, female vocals and filthy drops IEMs?

I could sell the new pair of IEMs and use that money to invest in the next level up of EDM paradise?

Also, as these seem to be hard to come by, any idea of a fair price to ask?

Really appreciate any and all feedback!

Cheers 😀

Dec 23, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #2,065 of 2,298
Evening Ladies & Gents.

Hope this finds you all well with Xmas coming round so quickly!!!!

I have a pair of brand new XBA-N3AP which I was keeping until my current IEMs went pop, but they haven't....I have taken them out of its box to check them out but that is all. So all original packaging in excellent condition!!

So the million dollar question is what is considered the next level up IEM focused for any type of dance, house, uplifting trance, drum and bass... music of all flavour, female vocals and filthy drops IEMs?

I could sell the new pair of IEMs and use that money to invest in the next level up of EDM paradise?

Also, as these seem to be hard to come by, any idea of a fair price to ask?

Really appreciate any and all feedback!

Cheers 😀
I am going to keep it short, and please feel free to ask specific questions but … my answer is… Sony IER-Z1R.
A noticeable step (or three) above, and very much an end game for me. Don’t be afraid to try them — there are lots of horror stories about comfort/fit, but they ended up fitting me perfectly and are very comfy with deep insertion.
I did keep the XBA-N3 for outdoors but admittedly haven’t used them much.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #2,066 of 2,298
I am going to keep it short, and please feel free to ask specific questions but … my answer is… Sony IER-Z1R.
A noticeable step (or three) above, and very much an end game for me. Don’t be afraid to try them — there are lots of horror stories about comfort/fit, but they ended up fitting me perfectly and are very comfy with deep insertion.
I agree! It’s the same sound, only super-sized!

Dec 23, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #2,067 of 2,298

Appreciate the short but sweet reply there Verificatuer! I certainly do like a straight to the point answer! I will keep my XBA-N3 and start using them but will also now save up my pennies to go all out with the Sony IER-Z1R rather than hopping a few times to get there anyway! The XBA-N3 will be my daily driver. I already have a handmade litz cable that should work beautifully with them!

I do have a few questions for you if you would be so kind?

Do you use them out and about as a daily pair of IEMs? I have watched a couple of YouTube reviews and other than how stunning they are, they tend to work best with some form of amp to drive them. I have a balanced Jotunheim desktop amp at the moment.Would you have any suggestions for portable IEM and cans daily amp? I am blowing my whole year budget on IEMs for the next decade (LoL😆) so it doesn't have to be the World's greatest or most expensive but excellent value for money would be great as I will use it for dailys and closed back headphones. What quality are the cables like? Do they come with a balanced option? Do you recommend upgrade the cables? The questions could go on and on but any other information you think will be useful to me would be really appreciated!

Oh, can you recommend £500 pair of headphones and then end game ones based on the same types of EDM genres?!

Thanks for opening my eyes to having one end game set of IEMs to 3 sets of half decent ones. Most importantly thanks for taking the time with the replies. Most kind.

Cheers 😀

Dec 23, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #2,068 of 2,298
Hey @Share2Care! It's very nice to meet another music fan and I will be happy to answer your questions. :darthsmile:

And I hope I will be forgiven for going slightly off-topic here, but after all we are talking about the XBA-N3's big brother...

The first thought that occurred to me when I finally put the IER-Z1R in my ears is, quite literally:
"Omg... they are great. Why haven't I tried them sooner?!?! [a minute later]... I could have saved so much money by just going straight for these. 😅"

One caveat to make -- I do highly recommend you try to get to demo them and/or see if you can find a store where you could put them in your ears. My understanding is that they require someone to have deep-enough ear canal cavities, since deep-fit is the only way to go for them - both sonically (they sound their best when inserted deep) and physically (when they sit deep, the weight is unnoticeable and they don't fall out and just sit snug!).

I did not follow my own advice, but I was at a point where I have spent so much on IEMs that I was ready to take a loss.... but luckily for me it turned out to be a huge gain!

Ok, onto your questions now:

Do you use them out and about as a daily pair of IEMs?
Pretty much. At first I was trying to blow every single dust particle off them and keep them shiny...but then it dawned on me that I just want to enjoy my purchase for the purpose I bought it for, everywhere. So I use them both indoors and outdoors. They sit snug and I could wear them for a full work-day.

I have watched a couple of YouTube reviews and other than how stunning they are, they tend to work best with some form of amp to drive them. I have a balanced Jotunheim desktop amp at the moment.Would you have any suggestions for portable IEM and cans daily amp?
They do like power... relative to being an IEM of course. You can still listen to IER-Z1R off you Apple dongle and iPhone and enjoy them (I did!), but of course... they scale very noticeably with proper gear. I don't know what your budget is, but I would recommend a DAP. Or... a nice DAC/AMP dongle if you are planning on using your Phone as your source. No real need for desktop gear... In my case, I mainly drive them from my Shanling M8 DAP, but most recently I have gotten the new Cayin RU6 R2R Dongle and find the pairing is awesome (using it with my iPhone), makes for a very natural and organic combination with black background. The IER-Z1R also works very well with Qudelix 5K, which allows for bluetooth connectivity, but SQ is of course a step down from the DAP, as to be expected.
Overall, IER-Z1R has amazing treble extension, mids are somewhat recessed but it's a pleasant V shape (compared to some others) so voices are still clear but are a bit warmer... sub-bass kick, texture and clarity is out of this world. Did I mention it has amazing soundstage and 'grandeur'? It makes you feel like you actually 'feel' the music and gets you immersed.

What quality are the cables like? Do they come with a balanced option? Do you recommend upgrade the cables?
This one is easy! I am using everything "stock". Even the tips -- I am using the stock Sony Hybrid Silicons. I also tried the Azla Crystal Standard which work very well.
The IER-Z1R come with both 3.5mm and 4.4mm cables, which I find are very nice, non-microphonic. One of the nicest cables I have owned, and definitely the nicest stock cable that I have seen that comes with an IEM.
Speaking of IER-Z1R... make sure you check out the Official Sony IER-Z1R Thread 😉

Oh, can you recommend £500 pair of headphones and then end game ones based on the same types of EDM genres?!
Ahem Ahem... you sure you want to go there? 😜😎
I am a Sony fan, so I also have the Sony MDR-Z1R headphones and love them for what they are (i.e. super comfortable, laid back, warm, syrupy sound that makes even bad recordings sound good... with a proper sub bass kick and rumble when called for).
But I also have other headphones... Fostex TH900Mk2 (EDM TOTL, in my opinion) and Focal Stellia (universal-jack of all trades with rich midrange, very accurate and fast punch and amazing dynamics). They each have their strengths, and sometimes it's just about the mood.
The best way to characterize IER-Z1R, in my opinion, is ... it's a child of those 3 headphones I mentioned above. A very interesting mixture indeed. It has the depth and bass texture of TH900Mk2 (but not quite the slam), it has the fast dynamics of Stellia (but not quite the midrange), and it also has a hint of that warm rumbly sound that I like the MDR-Z1R for (but not quite the grandness of the air chamber that is afforded by the 70mm dynamic driver).

Hope this helps!

1640308571572.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #2,069 of 2,298
Hi everyone, I love the sound of my XBA-N3, I've tried something else in these two years but I've always come back to them ... I think you understand me, I'm not looking for anything else because I'm dissatisfied, quite the contrary. As I understand to take the next step to the XBA-N3 I would have to buy the IER-Z1R, but unfortunately I don't have the budget. I wanted to ask you if I can take this step forward with a closed headphones. Do you know any models that sound like N3, but better? Thanks so much

Dec 24, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #2,070 of 2,298
Hi everyone, I love the sound of my XBA-N3, I've tried something else in these two years but I've always come back to them ... I think you understand me, I'm not looking for anything else because I'm dissatisfied, quite the contrary. As I understand to take the next step to the XBA-N3 I would have to buy the IER-Z1R, but unfortunately I don't have the budget. I wanted to ask you if I can take this step forward with a closed headphones. Do you know any models that sound like N3, but better? Thanks so much

IEMs and headphones are sometimes perceived differently by different people (some may perceive specific headphones as superior to specific IEMs while it can be the opposite for the same set of headphones and IEMs for other), so this is for sure highly subjective, but I'd recommend looking at the Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00; their tuning is quite similar to the XBA-N3 but with a little less upper treble brightness. As for technical performance (better/worse), I will not comment because I haven't really compared mine side-to-side and don't really intend to do so. But both are smooth and natural fun sounding headphones and I definitely like both; neither are the most technical in their class but very enjoyable indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back