Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Nov 27, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #2,026 of 2,298
Your the first person in thousands of posts since 2016 to come up with such talk. Good luck.
No. There are hundreds of professional reviews that share my opinion.

Just biased people who payed 3300€ for an DAP disagree with me, but that's okay. Nobody who payed 3300€ for an player and thinks it's better because it has to because it was more expensive can judge that objectively

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #2,027 of 2,298
Nov 27, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #2,029 of 2,298
He’s saying that a WM1Z is only 10% different from the Tazzy? Huh? If the DMP was only 10% different from WM1A i would not have bought it
Everyone has there own value systems, plus everyone has different transducers. And.....everyone has a right to there own opinions. Though I will not go into it farther, some opinions are rare, and not read much.

Nov 27, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #2,030 of 2,298
Cheers! Good luck.
Good luck with what? Having unpopular opinion? We are here on Head-fi :D people here can hear darker backgrounds on DAPs that have more noise, just because the DAP was more expensive.

Most people here own their DAP as a status symbol, of course they'll never accept that something cheaper might be as good.

Sonically, in terms of pure audio quality technical performance, the M11 Plus LTD beats the WM1Z easily in every measurement ever done.

I think it's sad that we live an in world where people think something is the best, just because it is the most expensive.

Everything I say is based in measurements and reproducible tests, of course I won't accept opinions if they are not backed by facts

Just because someone insists strongly on his personal opinion doesn't mean he's right.

The WM1Z does have nothing that physically or technically would explain an 10% difference, it's just not possible.

Most people even were able to hear differences in blind tests with only one device. They were cheated and were told that they switched the device but in reality did nothing and people were sure they heard a difference.

Most audiophiles just have absolutely no clue what they take about and use audio gear as a status symbol. I am already lucky enough that I'm not one of them, no need to wish me any more luck

Nov 27, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #2,031 of 2,298
Good luck with what? Having unpopular opinion? We are here on Head-fi :D people here can hear darker backgrounds on DAPs that have more noise, just because the DAP was more expensive.

Most people here own their DAP as a status symbol, of course they'll never accept that something cheaper might be as good.

Sonically, in terms of pure audio quality technical performance, the M11 Plus LTD beats the WM1Z easily in every measurement ever done.

I think it's sad that we live an in world where people think something is the best, just because it is the most expensive.

Everything I say is based in measurements and reproducible tests, of course I won't accept opinions if they are not backed by facts

Just because someone insists strongly on his personal opinion doesn't mean he's right.

The WM1Z does have nothing that physically or technically would explain an 10% difference, it's just not possible.

Most people even were able to hear differences in blind tests with only one device. They were cheated and were told that they switched the device but in reality did nothing and people were sure they heard a difference.

Most audiophiles just have absolutely no clue what they take about and use audio gear as a status symbol. I am already lucky enough that I'm not one of them, no need to wish me any more luck
I’m not saying anything about a status symbol. I could care less about that fact/price. I actually love the 1A and accept it for the limitations it has.

The 1A has a boosted midrange but it’s not as bright as the 1Z. The 1A has a faster bass and a diminished bass in comparison to the 1Z. The soundstage goes only L to R with the 1A. The 1Z has the soundstage go forward and back, behind the listener and in front to create a bowl. I have 1800 hours on the 1Z and 1800 hours on the 1A. I in fact love that there is such a wide difference between the two and as you can see enjoy both for their qualities.

I was involved with the testing of many of MrWalkmans softwares and am fully versed on the use of every aftermarket software permutation. I was around when we only had the aftermarket tunes for the Walkmans before MrWalkman even arrived. Why would you talk about other places to read up on the 1A vs 1Z when there is a 40 thousand plus page thread about them that’s closed. As well as another continuation thread I started. What, other places have a better opinion? Really?

I’m OK with you believing that there is only a 2% difference that’s your opinion you have a right to it. Still I have to say I experience another, broader difference.

I am absolutely not saying the 1Z is the best? Did I say that? Lol

I am in love with the 1Z and the 1A, so of course it makes me susceptible to the full quality of miss leading aspects like expectation bias? That is true! I have heard the M11, only.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #2,032 of 2,298
I’m not saying anything about a status symbol. I could care less about that fact/price. I actually love the 1A and accept it for the limitations it has.

The 1A has a boosted midrange but it’s not as bright as the 1Z. The 1A has a faster bass and a diminished bass in comparison to the 1Z. The soundstage goes only L to R with the 1A. The 1Z has the soundstage go forward and back, behind the listener and in front to create a bowl. I have 1800 hours on the 1Z and 1800 hours on the 1A. I in fact love that there is such a wide difference between the two and as you can see enjoy both for their qualities.

I was involved with the testing of many of MrWalkmans softwares and am fully versed on the use of every aftermarket software permutation. I was around when we only had the aftermarket tunes for the Walkmans before MrWalkman even arrived. Why would you talk about other places to read up on the 1A vs 1Z when there is a 40 thousand plus page thread about them that’s closed. As well as another continuation thread I started. What, other places have a better opinion? Really?

I’m OK with you believing that there is only a 2% difference that’s your opinion you have a right to it. Still I have to say I experience another, broader difference.

I am absolutely not saying the 1Z is the best? Did I say that? Lol

I am in love with the 1Z and the 1A, so of course it makes me susceptible to the full quality of miss leading aspects like expectation bias? That is true!
Ignore him is the best way. Narcissistic people.

He also postd in another thread that IER-Z1 is compised of three tweeters. Oh i didn’t know a tweeter could produce such a deep throbbing bass, lol

Nov 27, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #2,033 of 2,298
He’s saying that a WM1Z is only 10% different from the Tazzy? Huh? If the DMP was only 10% different from WM1A i would not have bought it
I am saying that ZX507 to WM1Z is 10% difference.

The difference from WM1Z to TA-ZH1ES is 5% to me.

But maybe im just very strict. I expect bigger/more improvements. For giving 10%, something needs to so much better that, when I show it to non Audiophile, they say "it's different" without thinking about it.

But if people have to switch back and forth and then say "they are almost the same", it's not 10% for me.

And if they say "they are so close that I can almost but tell them apart", it's 2% difference.

As said, due to recording, mixing and mastering music I might have a different scale.

Increasing the volume from 70 to 71 one player makes a much bigger difference than switching the player.

Put the WM1A on 71 and WM1Z on 70 and everyone will say the WM1A sounds fuller and more Dynamic.

When changing the volume by 1% does have a bigger influence than switching the player, it's not a 10% difference.

Someone who constantly compares different masters might have different standards

Nov 27, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #2,034 of 2,298
Ignore him is the best way. Narcissistic people.

He also postd in another thread that IER-Z1 is compised of three tweeters. Oh i didn’t know a tweeter could produce such a deep throbbing bass, lol
Hey, no need to insult me. There are better ways to lose an argument but that is weak

Oh i didn’t know a tweeter could produce such a deep throbbing bass, lol
At least you have the courtesy to admit that you don't know how it works.

Just because you don't know how something works, doesn't mean it didn't exist.

An 12mm tweeter can produce down to 5 Hz without issue. Why not? Do you know how drivers work?

Please, again, before blaming yourself. Don't just assume things and turn them into facts. If you don't know how things work, you don't know how they work. People love to Z1R for its unique sound. Instead of making fun of people who explain (simplified) what the reason for this unique sound is, take the opportunity.

Instead of looking up and understanding the IER-Z1R design, you decided to go for an insult.

Just don't be like that.

Dec 4, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #2,035 of 2,298
sorry to interrupt the bickering but I just got the XBA-N3 and instantly love them. They are an excellent complement to the IER-M9 tonality wise, although not as detailed or technical they have that satisfying sub-bass and DD physicality I'm missing from the IER-M9s already excellent BA bass. Seems very coherent with enjoyable Sony timbre. Worthy replacement of the Blessing 2 dusk which I had before, that I felt suffered from incoherence and metallic timbre towards the upper mid/treble region. The fit is also way better and more comfortable, even more than the M9 which was a step up from the Dusk. It's like a big step up from the MH755 which used to be my daily driver for years. N3 is a great set, seemingly underrated in the $300 conversation

Dec 4, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #2,036 of 2,298
sorry to interrupt the bickering but I just got the XBA-N3 and instantly love them. They are an excellent complement to the IER-M9 tonality wise, although not as detailed or technical they have that satisfying sub-bass and DD physicality I'm missing from the IER-M9s already excellent BA bass. Seems very coherent with enjoyable Sony timbre. Worthy replacement of the Blessing 2 dusk which I had before, that I felt suffered from incoherence and metallic timbre towards the upper mid/treble region. The fit is also way better and more comfortable, even more than the M9 which was a step up from the Dusk. It's like a big step up from the MH755 which used to be my daily driver for years. N3 is a great set, seemingly underrated in the $300 conversation

Yeah I agree, they are awesome.

Dec 5, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #2,038 of 2,298
The WM1A with MrWalkmans firmware is great.
do anyone know a good DAP for these iems. My cowon s9 decided to brick today and looking for a good compatible dap.

Dec 5, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #2,040 of 2,298
ive been checking that actually for few days and reviews looks stellar. My only concern is how i would be getting MrWalkmans firmware file since his website is unavailable.
If you read my review of the XBA-N3, I talk about having good luck with wider bore tips than the included Sony Hybrids or Sony Triple Comfort Tips. So I would suggest getting a more open tip to expand the mids. Also the aftermarket firmware. It was a “Revelation” for me? Let’s check out the firmware and see where it is available?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back