Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Mar 11, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #1,892 of 2,298
Good Suggestion, as I bought A6 mini and it sounds quite near what I want. So i believe A7 maybe a good choice. But I have the issue of fit. Feels like the insert is not deep enough and easy come out. Also A7 is the model with some dip switch, right? I always worry that kind of switch makes the IEM more easily broken down.

Thanks
Yes it got a dip switch. Shouldnt affect durability as far as I know.
A7 fits better than the A6 shell.

Fiio FH3? They sound similar to N3 and won't push your budget at all.
FiiO FD5 could also be interesting.

Had the N3 and liked the sound, but didn't get good seal or fit.

They wanted a more neutral iem so I wouldnt recommend the FH3 nor the FD5. (I also think the N3 is a step above the FH3 anyway...)

Mar 11, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #1,893 of 2,298
I've been tempted by the DUNU DK-3001 Pro, might be a good option to replace the N3. Plus it's reduced at the moment from DUNU directly and Musictek - $379. I'm not buying now myself as bought too much lately but worth investigating.

Mar 12, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #1,894 of 2,298
I've been tempted by the DUNU DK-3001 Pro, might be a good option to replace the N3. Plus it's reduced at the moment from DUNU directly and Musictek - $379. I'm not buying now myself as bought too much lately but worth investigating.

Imo (as someone who personally doesn't like all that many hybrid IEM models for recreational listening, just a handful) they're definitely a great alternative - less warmth and somewhat less bass quantity than the Sony (provided that your ears automatically block the DUNUs' dynamic drivers' front cavity vents, else they are much closer to neutral in terms of bass quantity), otherwise comparable midrange (little more direct upper mids and presence range on the DK 3001 Pro), comparable treble (bit brighter on the DUNU); superior super treble extension past 10 kHz on the Sony.

Where they differ is the bass presentation - while the Sony provide a more "typical", softer, more lingering, impactful and thumpy dynamic driver response that however blends in very well with the rest (wherefore they are among the few hybrid IEMs that I actually like and think are designed well), the DUNU are audibly more "technical" in their bass presentation (faster, tighter, "cleaner"), almost BA-like (thankfully the dynamic driver implementation blends in well with the rest as well unlike for example on the iBasso IT03 whose DD implementation is quite "technical" and fast as well, but rather "blunt" and with a (to me) noticeable transition from the DD to the BA drivers).

Mar 12, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #1,895 of 2,298

They wanted a more neutral iem so I wouldnt recommend the FH3 nor the FD5. (I also think the N3 is a step above the FH3 anyway...)
Thanks !!

Will JVC FD 01 be an option? i also quite like my old time FXT90 with its clarity. what's the difference with the Drop version?
While I searching around and found Intime Sora2 maybe something interesting.
Also find good price Final Audio E2000 in Amazon JP. Will buy one to try alternative sound signature.

Mar 12, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #1,896 of 2,298

Thanks !!

Will JVC FD 01 be an option? i also quite like my old time FXT90 with its clarity. what's the difference with the Drop version?
Also find good price Final Audio E2000 in Amazon JP. Will buy one to try alternative sound signature.

Mar 12, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #1,897 of 2,298
Thanks !!

Havent heard the FD01. The drop version (FDX1) includes some modifications that were done by James444 I believe to the FD01. So the Drop version is the better one I think.

Sora 2 is very different and a downgrade from the XBA-N3. The A7 is a good alternative/upgrade to it.

If you want a Final Audio E series iem, I recommend the E3000. I dont rec the E2000.

Mar 12, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #1,898 of 2,298
Havent heard the FD01. The drop version (FDX1) includes some modifications that were done by James444 I believe to the FD01. So the Drop version is the better one I think.

Sora 2 is very different and a downgrade from the XBA-N3. The A7 is a good alternative/upgrade to it.

If you want a Final Audio E series iem, I recommend the E3000. I dont rec the E2000.
Wow! So quick reply; Many thanks!

Sora 2 is just for fun. I like the look, bullet like, Stainless steel fans;
Actually, after N3Ap and still bought many budget Chifi to play around, like Tin Hifi T2, KZ EDX, .....

Many review saying E2000 and E3000 difference is minimal; 2000 with a bit more bass and also cheaper. Just trying and that is why no harm to try a cheaper version

actually, i also found amazon us ER4XR less than $160 after my coupon. Again I know that is not really my sound. but tempted to try someting difference while surfing around.

Mar 12, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #1,899 of 2,298
Wow! So quick reply; Many thanks!

Sora 2 is just for fun. I like the look, bullet like, Stainless steel fans;
Actually, after N3Ap and still bought many budget Chifi to play around, like Tin Hifi T2, KZ EDX, .....

Many review saying E2000 and E3000 difference is minimal; 2000 with a bit more bass and also cheaper. Just trying and that is why no harm to try a cheaper version

actually, i also found amazon us ER4XR less than $160 after my coupon. Again I know that is not really my sound. but tempted to try someting difference while surfing around.
E2000 more bass???

Thats wrong.... confirmed by both my ears and graph.
graph (94).png

I dont rec the E2000 because it sounds...so average. The E3000 is more refined on basically all aspects, I say it is worth it.

Mar 23, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #1,901 of 2,298
Hello head-fiers,

My apologies if this has been asked before but I’m looking to replace my Sony XBA-N3AP earphones since sadly the one on the R side is failing…

I do like Sony’s sound signature and had the XBA-H3 before that…

Sadly the XBA-N3 is discontinued even though I could still get it from eBay as a Japan import but I would prefer the safety net of Amazon when it comes to returns and stressless warranty policy.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a similar sound signature? My music player is the Fiio M9…have tried Fiio’s FH5 quad driver in ear monitors but wasn’t that satisfied with the sound…

I’m thinking of trying the Shure SE535 but would be really interested to hear other people’s recommendations for something with a similar sound signature to Sony’s and a budget of up to £300 max.

Many thanks for your time in advance.

Mar 23, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #1,902 of 2,298
Hello head-fiers,

My apologies if this has been asked before but I’m looking to replace my Sony XBA-N3AP earphones since sadly the one on the R side is failing…

Sadly the XBA-N3 is discontinued even though I could still get it from eBay as a Japan import but I would prefer the safety net of Amazon when it comes to returns and stressless warranty policy.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a similar sound signature? My music player is the Fiio M9…have tried Fiio’s FH5 quad driver in ear monitors but wasn’t that satisfied with the sound…

I’m thinking of trying the Shure SE535 but would be really interested to hear other people’s recommendations for something with a similar sound signature to Sony’s and a budget of up to £300 max.

The DUNU DK-3001 Pro is highly regarded and was recommended to me as an N3 step up/alternative. I have yet to buy it but a good deal on Musictek, they are an official DUNU dealer.

https://shop.musicteck.com/products...ynamic-hybrid-earphone?variant=31647388270654

Mar 23, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #1,903 of 2,298
Hello head-fiers,

Have you checked nozzle filters, the cable continuity & tried cleaning mmcx socket/connectors with deoxit?

IDK what the price in UK is but if you like the Sony sound I have seen the IER-M7 ~$400-450 usd a few times (I have only heard M9 but they are reputedly similar - m9 is a bit flatter, fuller through mids than N3 and obviously missing the DD bass ).

Mar 23, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #1,904 of 2,298
I would not recommend SE535, all-BA IEMs can never do bass like the N3. To be fair I don't know anything as good as N3 in it's price range, it sounds sounds sublime and much better than a lot of pricier models. Maybe the new Shure Aonic 4? At least it's a hybrid like N3. And you can find it on Amazon UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back