Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Jul 28, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #751 of 2,298
Welcome to the club. The N3 bass is faster so it suits music with faster, tighter beats. Z5 bass is a bit slower but have more presence. Maybe a difference between a new drum and a well broken in drum. The price difference is quite large for the gain as you said. I paid 26500 yen for the N3 (no AP) in Japan so that's less than half of the Z5 price. Is it worth it? Everyone will have to judge for themselves but if you can drive them in balanced mode (I'm using a PHA-2A at home) with the upgrade cable, the difference becomes much clearer between the 2. The Z5 does leak a bit more but at normal listening level, it's not noticeable beyond 2" (see my recording sample here)

Download the m4a file from this link. It a recording using my iPhone 6's voice memo feature with me playing back Parov Stelar - The Lonely Trumpet on my Z5 at 50% volume through the PHA-2A in balanced mode . The phone was being held within 2 inches of the IEM, first on the left and switched to the right.

https://www.hightail.com/download/dDZGVWRyTEQzS29LSk1UQw

Then this one was made between 1:10 -2:10 of the track with the phone about 20" from the left ear then move to the right ear at about 30 sec mark.

https://www.hightail.com/download/dDZGVWRyTEQzeUtjZDhUQw

I use the N3 on the go cause it's easier to drive and less noticeable by others while I use the Z5 just at home.

Thanks for your input and links, much appreciated. I'll check that. Aftermarket balanced cables are on my list and will be ordered in any case, but I am still hesitating between different brands at the moment. Could you give me an advice please? I have Effect Audio on top of my list... and it likely will be connected with a DAP balanced output. Maybe answer in PM if you don't mind, because I don't want to derail the thread. Thank you!

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #752 of 2,298
Thanks for your input and links, much appreciated. I'll check that. Aftermarket balanced cables are on my list and will be ordered in any case, but I am still hesitating between different brands at the moment. Could you give me an advice please? I have Effect Audio on top of my list... and it likely will be connected with a DAP balanced output. Maybe answer in PM if you don't mind, because I don't want to derail the thread. Thank you!

Check your PM. Also the Z5 thread here is still pretty active:

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/sonys-new-2014-flagship-iem-xba-z5.733404/page-280

Jul 29, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #753 of 2,298
To be honest, I was really tempted to buy the z5 and I know it's a better headphone but the reason it's a better headphone and more airy is not only tuning or materials but also it's big and hard to drive and it sounds better because it leaks and doesn't isolate as good. My fidelio s2 also sounds amazing because it's an open design but it leaks like a mofo and I hate it! Bad isolation and bad leak is very bad for me because I only use IEM in the busy streets or in the office. Bad isolation means I have to crank the volume way up ( probably 100% high gain with the z5 ) and bad leak means my office mates will hear the beat when I go crazy or public transports. It's much more harder to make a closed iem ( n3 ) have a wide soundstage rather than semi open IEM ( ex1000-z5 ). That's why the n3 is magic.

I can see how z5 can sound better, more airy, extended soundstage but IEMs are all about portability and easy of use too and xba-n3 seems the correct way forward. Am I gonna have better quality with bigger drivers ? Sure ! But, that's why I left my 50mm headphones at home and I use 9mm drivers now, The n3ap goes right into my tight jeans pocket and it takes seconds to put them back in .

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate high quality sound but if I want that at home, I have very nice loudspeakers and subwoofer. Why anyone would want to hear with headphones when they can listen to loudspeakers of much higher quality sound with real subwoofer is beyong my imagination. I don't have a crazy wife,crazy kids or crazy neighbors around me.

For 500$ I get Diamond wharfdale 10.1 + cambridge audio stereo amp + 15" inch subwoofer... and it beats any headphone at any price bar none.

Yes n3 is magic for electronic music. For me, N3 has good sony car stereo soundstage signature sound.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #754 of 2,298
To be honest, I was really tempted to buy the z5 and I know it's a better headphone but the reason it's a better headphone and more airy is not only tuning or materials but also it's big and hard to drive and it sounds better because it leaks and doesn't isolate as good. My fidelio s2 also sounds amazing because it's an open design but it leaks like a mofo and I hate it! Bad isolation and bad leak is very bad for me because I only use IEM in the busy streets or in the office. Bad isolation means I have to crank the volume way up ( probably 100% high gain with the z5 ) and bad leak means my office mates will hear the beat when I go crazy or public transports. It's much more harder to make a closed iem ( n3 ) have a wide soundstage rather than semi open IEM ( ex1000-z5 ). That's why the n3 is magic.

I can see how z5 can sound better, more airy, extended soundstage but IEMs are all about portability and easy of use too and xba-n3 seems the correct way forward. Am I gonna have better quality with bigger drivers ? Sure ! But, that's why I left my 50mm headphones at home and I use 9mm drivers now, The n3ap goes right into my tight jeans pocket and it takes seconds to put them back in .

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate high quality sound but if I want that at home, I have very nice loudspeakers and subwoofer. Why anyone would want to hear with headphones when they can listen to loudspeakers of much higher quality sound with real subwoofer is beyong my imagination. I don't have a crazy wife,crazy kids or crazy neighbors around me.

For 500$ I get Diamond wharfdale 10.1 + cambridge audio stereo amp + 15" inch subwoofer... and it beats any headphone at any price bar none.

Yes n3 is magic for electronic music. For me, N3 has good sony car stereo soundstage signature sound.

Also having a proper stereo system at home (spendor D7, creek amp and Schiit Dac), I am listening music with that set-up 75% of the time. But my full-size headphones driven with a nice amp and separate dac also give a very nice and intimate listening experience depending on what you hear and your personal tastes. I think that both ways of listening music have their strenghs and weaknesses. For USD 500.-, you get more "music" for the bucks with a sedentary system, I agree. But with a very capable and more expensive headphone set-up, I don't. USD 500.- stereo system is beaten here, in my opinion and overall sonically speaking (accuracy, tonal balance, details, etc...). Nevertheless, both experiences not being the same at all, the comparison is difficult to make.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #755 of 2,298
I agree, although quite rare, I do find headphones sometimes deliver a better experience than speakers. I don't want to compare them, since as you say it's personal and about mood too and song dependant, but I can and I will do. I just don't see any reason to listen to IEMs ( or fullsized headphones ) when you can feel the subwoofer frequencies penetrating all over your body. For me part of music is feeling the bass. I know many people don't care about below 80hz but I do. Best case scenario with headphones they vibrate... it's a cool effect but it pales compared to feeling a real subwoofer. Also, IEMs and headphones can never be as comfortable as having nothing on your head, the only reason I accept this tradeoff is because I want music on the go , or complete isolation but very rarely for sonic reasons... :)

The xba-n3 come closest to a loudspeaker 2.1 experience in my opinion and that's why I love them so much.

PS yes you will get more details/resolution with a 10k headphone setup than a 500usd stereo system but I will choose the musicality experience of the 500usd stereo system 98% of the times. Enjoying music is not about making out all the finest details.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #756 of 2,298

Also having a proper stereo system at home (spendor D7, creek amp and Schiit Dac), I am listening music with that set-up at home 75% of the time. But my full-size headphones driven with a nice amp and dac also give a very nice and intimate listening experience depending on what you hear and your personal tastes. I think that both ways of listening music have their strenghs and weaknesses. For USD 500.-, you get more "music" for the bucks with a sedentary system, I agree. But with a very capable and more expensive headphone set-up, I don't. USD 500.- stereo system is easily beaten here, in my opinion.
I agree, although quite rare, I do find headphones sometimes deliver a better experience than speakers. I don't want to compare them, since as you say it's personal and about mood too and song dependant, but I can and I will do. I just don't see any reason to listen to IEMs ( or fullsized headphones ) when you can feel the subwoofer frequencies penetrating all over your body. For me part of music is feeling the bass. I know many people don't care about below 80hz but I do. Best case scenario with headphones they vibrate... it's a cool effect but it pales compared to feeling a real subwoofer. Also, IEMs and headphones can never be as comfortable as having nothing on your head, the only reason I accept this tradeoff is because I want music on the go , or complete isolation but very rarely for sonic reasons... :)

The xba-n3 come closest to a loudspeaker 2.1 experience in my opinion and that's why I love them so much.

PS yes you will get more details/resolution with a 10k headphone setup than a 500usd stereo system but I will choose the musicality experience of the 500usd stereo system 98% of the times. Enjoying music is not about making out all the finest details.

About the bass, I agree completly. I understand your point of view if you need to feel the bass. Enjoying music is not always about getting the maximal details, yes, especially with a lot of electronic music genres. With others music styles, it could be the case for me although.

I feel you're enjoying the N3AP a lot, so do I. This pair of IEM is really special, very difficult to beat for the price in my opinion.

Jul 29, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #757 of 2,298

But all room colors sounds, floor/wall material, curtains, windows, carpet, furniture all reflects sound differently, some enhances it while other absorbs it. Even with the auto EQ software in some of the newer receivers, you'll never get it 100% right. I use NAD Class A amps and KEF speakers back by a 18" Velodyne with a dedicated 400W amp and it's fine for hometheater and general listening. but if I'm listen to something with a lot of fine instrument detail or layered vocals, I go DAC to headphone (any good headphone).

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #758 of 2,298
Just noticed that my pair makes a little click sound on the outer shell on the right side when I press slightly. Can any of you reproduce it? I will probably exchange them at the Sony support for a new pair even tho I cannot reproduce without wanting too and I think it does not change the sound in any way

Jul 31, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #759 of 2,298
Just noticed that my pair makes a little click sound on the outer shell on the right side when I press slightly. Can any of you reproduce it? I will probably exchange them at the Sony support for a new pair even tho I cannot reproduce without wanting too and I think it does not change the sound in any way

As in when you try to seat them in your ear or when you're playing music? Never experienced it. I would at least take it to the service center and see what they say.

Jul 31, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #762 of 2,298
Anyone in the US interested in the 4.4mm Kimber balanced cable should check this out on Amazon. Korean dealer is selling the MUC-M12SB1 4.4mm Kimber balanced cable at the price of US$139 with Amazon prime shipping. The MUC-M12SB1 is currently priced at over 22,000 yen (US$200) in Japan while the new non-kimber MUC-M12NB1 is priced at 15,000 yen (US$135). Now I think it's a mistake and they are actually selling the NB1 but if that's the case, you can always return it at their expense. Just search for it on Amazon and look for the ones sold by Buywise.

Just received the package and to my surprise, it is the MUC-M12SB1 which is a steal at that price. It is a Korean market package as seen below:

IMG_3242_zpsz1ddpxun.jpg

http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/Wiz13688/media/IMG_3242_zpsz1ddpxun.jpg.html

Aug 2, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #763 of 2,298
The small comply tips from the N3AP also replaced the default tips from the Z5.
Can you post a link to where i can purchase default tips for the Z5? I want to try them with N3AP.
Or any other tips ( non foam type ) which will fit N3AP.

I'm having fit issues with the default N3AP tips. For some reason i feel discomfort on right ear... especially while moving. I'm not sure how to fix this. Tried all tips that come in the box. Don't like them.

But i'm happy with this earphones if not take into account issue described above.

My setup :)

IMG_4144.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #764 of 2,298
Can you post a link to where i can purchase default tips for the Z5? I want to try them with N3AP.

I'm having fit issues with the default N3AP tips. For some reason i feel discomfort on right ear... especially while moving. I'm not sure how to fix this. Tried all tips that come in the box. Don't like them.

But i'm happy with this earphones if not take into account issue described above.

My setup :)

Try these
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-P...32723329957.html?spm=2114.13010708.0.0.a9xphI

Aug 2, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #765 of 2,298

Is N3AP same nozzle size as other Sony IEMs? I have had good experienceusing Ortofon tips* and Shure foams (with the wax guard trimmed off) on the ex1000 (which came with the same Sony Hybrid silicone tips as all their other models until recently AFAIK- those can be imported from Japanese resellers).

*Caveat with the Ortofon tips: they are super comfortable but the core can lose elasticity over time & start coming loose off iem nozzle, are also a little undersized relative to most other S/M/L tips i've tried.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back