Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Apr 19, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #271 of 2,314

I hardly ever go above 90/120 (mostly below 80) on a NW-A35 with 35mW/ch output. The M2 have much higher power output.

Thanks, I just went for N1 anyway.
Arrive around 1st May.

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #272 of 2,314
I hardly ever go above 90/120 (mostly below 80) on a NW-A35 with 35mW/ch output. The M2 have much higher power output.

Interesting. I wonder about the actual power from that A35, or maybe you listen loud? I go 25/60 on my Fiio M3 which is also supposed to be 35mW, (and the same from my e17k) and that's pretty darn loud, more would be getting to painful levels.

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #273 of 2,314
Interesting. I wonder about the actual power from that A35, or maybe you listen loud? I go 25/60 on my Fiio M3 which is also supposed to be 35mW, (and the same from my e17k) and that's pretty darn loud, more would be getting to painful levels.

Manufacturer differs a lot on volume setting, some goes linear, some goes with a curve. I don't really listen loud as I mostly listen to female vocals.

Apr 20, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #274 of 2,314
I can understand that you don't like the cable routing of the 7550. But in my case it doesn't bother me at all. That being said could you give me a quick comparison of the sound between the N3 and the 7550. I stated a couple of posts back that I can get the 7550 much cheaper. That and I already have the A3 so I think I'm covered on balanced armature type IEM's. Thanks.

Comparison done listening through the Chord Mojo fed by a Nexus 6p phone.

N3 and 7550 both share a very similar sound. The difference being:
* 7550 has a slightly stronger impact in the low end (due to bigger 16mm driver I guess) but both can go very low. However I think the lows on N3 is more natural sounding which I think is attributed to the port chamber thing. If you love bass I can say neither will disappoint.

* 7550 mids are more forward than N3. Listening to Evanescence My Immortal, I feel like the vocals on the N3 takes a step back behind the piano and electric guitars.

* On certain tracks (ex. A Tribe Called Dilla - Vista's Lament) 7550 highs can be fatiguing especially from snares and high hats. I also think 7550 has a slight sibilance while N3 has non what so ever.

* 7550 soundstage is larger and resolution is slightly better.

The N3 to me is the perfect sounding and most comfortable iem. I want to add that the LZ-A4 (red\blue filters) to me sounds like a N3 with a bigger open soundstage and more forward mids. However I prefer a more V shape sound so I'd pick N3 over LZ-A4. Hope this helps.

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #276 of 2,314
Comparison done listening through the Chord Mojo fed by a Nexus 6p phone.

N3 and 7550 both share a very similar sound. The difference being:
* 7550 has a slightly stronger impact in the low end (due to bigger 16mm driver I guess) but both can go very low. However I think the lows on N3 is more natural sounding which I think is attributed to the port chamber thing. If you love bass I can say neither will disappoint.

* 7550 mids are more forward than N3. Listening to Evanescence My Immortal, I feel like the vocals on the N3 takes a step back behind the piano and electric guitars.

* On certain tracks (ex. A Tribe Called Dilla - Vista's Lament) 7550 highs can be fatiguing especially from snares and high hats. I also think 7550 has a slight sibilance while N3 has non what so ever.

* 7550 soundstage is larger and resolution is slightly better.

The N3 to me is the perfect sounding and most comfortable iem. I want to add that the LZ-A4 (red\blue filters) to me sounds like a N3 with a bigger open soundstage and more forward mids. However I prefer a more V shape sound so I'd pick N3 over LZ-A4. Hope this helps

Have A4 owned 7550 and N1 on the way.
I read the N1 is bassier than the N3 -hopefully.

I found the tonality dry almost grainy on the 7550s with a bit of a tiny treble spike in there but taped and EQ'd its easy to see why they rank so high on the quantity basshead thread.
I hope the N1 tonailty is similar to A4 and with more 'character bass quantity / sub-bass extension' The A4 is not an all-out basshead IEM, approaching audiophile basshead presentation and I'm hoping for much more bass presence on the N1 with an almost L-shaped presentation.

I've never been able to match the Sony MDR-XB40 on sheer unamped/un-EQ'd sub-bass as yet...but they were veiled un-amped and had sucked out mids/rolled off treble if I remember.

Apr 21, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #277 of 2,314
Have A4 owned 7550 and N1 on the way.
I read the N1 is bassier than the N3 -hopefully.

I found the tonality dry almost grainy on the 7550s with a bit of a tiny treble spike in there but taped and EQ'd its easy to see why they rank so high on the quantity basshead thread.
I hope the N1 tonailty is similar to A4 and with more 'character bass quantity / sub-bass extension' The A4 is not an all-out basshead IEM, approaching audiophile basshead presentation and I'm hoping for much more bass presence on the N1 with an almost L-shaped presentation.

I've never been able to match the Sony MDR-XB40 on sheer unamped/un-EQ'd sub-bass as yet...but they were veiled un-amped and had sucked out mids/rolled off treble if I remember.

I was able to listen to both N1 and N3 at a BIC Camera store in Japan where I actually made my purchase. Although the environment was way too noisy I do recall that the bass on the N1 had more "boom" than the N3. I listened to DrDre nuthin but a g thang. Honestly I went with the N3 because 3 is greater than 1 and therefore a "higher" model haha.

Apr 27, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #278 of 2,314
Looking forward to trying these on the 1st ! Just had to post in the thread again as all my watched threads got nuked with this website GUI update.....doooh !

Apr 30, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #279 of 2,314
currently using N1AP. They sound great with Metal music (even greater with electronic music). bass is strong, yet leaves room for the other ranges to shine. it can be punchy in certain songs, but not hitting you that hard though. it greatly enhances my experience in watching movie trailers like the 1st Fast & Furious 8 trailer. the bass is so rich, powerful and boomy like what you hear in IMAX theaters. vocals are placed in front of the background, but in busy-sounding music, vocals can be heard slightly backward. however, vocals sound a bit artificial, not naturally as i actually wanted. the "c, s, ch and sh" can be slightly sharp sometimes, but not hurting your ears like what Yamaha EPH-50 does. the midrange is where it lies its most pleasant sound. it's clear and warm. e-guitars really shine on this pair and notes can be heard obviously. treble might be a bit sharp to some, but it's not in the range of "hurting-your-ears sharpness", although the hi-hat in Led Zeppelin's Babe I'm Gonna Leave You annoys me quite a bit.

So what do I love about N1AP? i love its ability to provide most details in what i listen to and the fun sounding which totally improve my enjoyment of the music that i love. However, this isn't an ideal pair to listen mostly to slow music as the sound of this pair is seasoned with the fun signature. i used AudioSense AS20 before this and i can say that the AudioSense one has a better sounding for slow music. i enjoy it more on that pair even as it isn't as detailed as N1AP, but for mid-tempo and fast tracks? this Sony rules!

suitable genres for this pair are electronic music and rock music.

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #280 of 2,314
Just a FYI. The Sony upgrade cable MUC-M12SM2 is now in stock at Amazon Japan by Amazon for 8154 Yen (which means they will ship overseas) and global shipping to US is 765 yen (arrive in under 1 week). This is probably the best deal I've seen outside on buying it yourself in Japan.

Last edited:
May 4, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #282 of 2,314
I was wondering if I could use these with comply foam tips. From what I understand the T-200 seem to be the eartips that should fit. Can anyone confirm?

I can confirm the comply 200 series fits these and all other Sony iem in the xba line.

May 5, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #284 of 2,314
Hi,
I am very interested by the N1 but have some hesitation with RHA T20. Did anyone listem to both IE and can give his feedback on differences in sound and build quality?

Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back