Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Mar 8, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #241 of 2,298
OK, embarrassing question time...
Since I have no previous experience with XBA detachable cable models, is the Sony MMCX compatible with standard MMCX or do they use a different system? I have seen cables advertising "locking Sony MMCX" connections, and others claiming that MMCX generic will fit. And did they change between series, H to A/N?
Any guidance appreciated.

The ones with the "locking Sony MMCX" will not work on the N3, It has positional key meant for the A series. But the Generic one will work on both the A and N series. I got the Sony MUC-M2BT1 Bluetooth and the non locking plug work on both the A3 and N3. See the picture below for the keyed/lock ones for the A series:

Mar 9, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #243 of 2,298
Thank you.
So any generic MMCX will work then?
Plenty of options..
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes.

Mar 11, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #246 of 2,298
what cable did you choose?

Just an eBay cheapie, Earmax brand SPC for USD20 shipped.
But the quality is surprisingly good, cable sheathing is too stiff, which is a shame, but the construction details are good. - very positive, solid connectors, everything looks better than the price would suggest. And it sounds awesome! :D Or to be precise, they still sound awesome, :wink: there is no loss of sound quality, maybe, just maybe, a very slight increase in volume but may well be placebo.
Although it doesn't quite match my needs, because it is a bit too stiff for exercising, I am very satisfied with it, it looks good, sounds good, and it's made pretty well. My only concern is, seeing how nice it is, the temptation to try something more...Hmm, premium just for the heck of it! :cool:

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #248 of 2,298
Not sure of the rules regarding links to sellers?
But try http://www.ebay.com/usr/wang_yifei
Fast delivery, less than 2 weeks.
As stated, cable is stiff, microphonics are not brilliant, but connections are solid, has got memory wire in the last 80mm or so (I didn't notice that when I bought it :wink: sound is either unaffected or even better (beware placebo effect heh) but yeah I'm happy with mine.

Mar 11, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #249 of 2,298
OK, embarrassing question time...
Since I have no previous experience with XBA detachable cable models, is the Sony MMCX compatible with standard MMCX or do they use a different system? I have seen cables advertising "locking Sony MMCX" connections, and others claiming that MMCX generic will fit. And did they change between series, H to A/N?
Any guidance appreciated.

​Sincé the XBA-H series it uses standard MMCX, I used XBA-H3, XBA-A3 and now i have XBA-Z5

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #250 of 2,298
How does N1AP sound to Doom Metal, Power Metal, Symphonic Metal, Gothic Metal and Hard Rock? I'm the owner of Audiosense AS20 and used to have YAMAHA EPH-50, Denon AH-D1100 and Sennheiser HD 518. As you can see, my taste is quite bass forwarded, but also care for details, clarity and mid-treble range. However, I don't prefer bright sound as my main taste in music isn't bright.

Mar 31, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #251 of 2,298
After reading a couple of dozen posts, it seems the N3 is said to have a pretty flat frequency response. Does anyone have a first-hand comparison to the MDR - 7550 which is also said to be pretty flat. If they're close, the 7550's can be had for about two hundred and thirty bucks right now. If the N3 could be had for the same price it would be a slam dunk I think. But there seems to be a couple hundred difference in price in the US. Any opinions on this?

Apr 1, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #252 of 2,298
After reading a couple of dozen posts, it seems the N3 is said to have a pretty flat frequency response. Does anyone have a first-hand comparison to the MDR - 7550 which is also said to be pretty flat. If they're close, the 7550's can be had for about two hundred and thirty bucks right now. If the N3 could be had for the same price it would be a slam dunk I think. But there seems to be a couple hundred difference in price in the US. Any opinions on this?

2 different type of technology. The 7550 is dynamic driver while the XBA-N3 is BA high and dynamic mid/bass, even when both have fairly flat curve, they will have different tonal quality. It's pretty much a personal preference. 

Best price to get the N3 from a reputable vendor is probably through Accessoryjack ($280). Seems price on the N3 went up in the last few months as I got mine for 26500 yen in Tokyo back in Jan and the cheapest I can find on kakaku is 31300 yen now and you still have to pay for shipping and handling from a buying service like Buyee. 

Apr 2, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #254 of 2,298
Appreciate the opinions of you guys. Actually right now I have the xba-A3 with the Sony accessory cable using with a chord Mojo. Have to say I'm absolutely thrilled with the sound I'm getting. I just think I would like to have a second set in case something happens to this one. In case it breaks or gets lost or something. Guess I'm just looking for an excuse to buy yet another set of headphones. Like everyone else, I don't need much of an excuse to buy something new. I thought about the 7550 because at least it's something different technology-wise than what I have now. Not sure how different the N3 is from what I already have.

Apr 2, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #255 of 2,298
Appreciate the opinions of you guys. Actually right now I have the xba-A3 with the Sony accessory cable using with a chord Mojo. Have to say I'm absolutely thrilled with the sound I'm getting. I just think I would like to have a second set in case something happens to this one. In case it breaks or gets lost or something. Guess I'm just looking for an excuse to buy yet another set of headphones. Like everyone else, I don't need much of an excuse to buy something new. I thought about the 7550 because at least it's something different technology-wise than what I have now. Not sure how different the N3 is from what I already have.

If you already have the A3 (I do too), think of the N3 as a more compact little brother. Although the A3 is superior to the N3 in every way (but not by much), the N3 is more comfortable/compact to carry around. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back