Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Sep 13, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #31 of 2,298

Thank you so much for your impressions. I was hoping to avoid something completely flat.
Can they be worn over the ear? And, if i'm not abusing of the questions, how are they in the vocals region?

Thanks again 
biggrin.gif

If you want something that's a lot of fun, look elsewhere. For vocals they're fine, although I've noticed that vocals sometimes drown a tiny bit in the mix because they lack some texture/depth.

They can't be worn over the ear very well because of the pretty long connector things. You get quite a bit of cable noise (compared to the virtually silent H3's). Probably because of the lack of a cable guide.

I'm listening through my MacBook now and they sound better than through my phone. Feels like everything has a bit more punch at both ends. Bass is still very controlled but more present, highs are a bit clearer. Mids mostly unchanged and still on the smooth side.

Sep 13, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #33 of 2,298
I starting to think the N1 is gonna be the fun one and throw on a better cable to get more technical ability.

N1 plus one of these...http://penonaudio.com/JiangHai-DT86-MMCX-Cable...FTW!
tongue.gif

Sep 13, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #34 of 2,298

If you want something that's a lot of fun, look elsewhere. For vocals they're fine, although I've noticed that vocals sometimes drown a tiny bit in the mix because they lack some texture/depth.

They can't be worn over the ear very well because of the pretty long connector things. You get quite a bit of cable noise (compared to the virtually silent H3's). Probably because of the lack of a cable guide.

I'm listening through my MacBook now and they sound better than through my phone. Feels like everything has a bit more punch at both ends. Bass is still very controlled but more present, highs are a bit clearer. Mids mostly unchanged and still on the smooth side.

Thank you so much! So it looks like the N3s are not my thing. Maybe the N1s 
rolleyes.gif

I starting to think the N1 is gonna be the fun one and throw on a better cable to get more technical ability.

N1 plus one of these...http://penonaudio.com/JiangHai-DT86-MMCX-Cable...FTW!
tongue.gif

I sure hope so, i love sony, don't wanna throw these out of the equation so fast

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #36 of 2,298
It sure looks like the Z5 is still Sony's flagship IEM even if they have restricted where it is sold. This new IEM iteration looks to be a sidegrade XBA-A1 to XBA-N1AP amd then an upgrade of the XBA-A1 to XBA-N3AP. Neither of these models even really replace the XBA-A3 or A2. I personally wouldn't consider the N3AP if I was looking to buy in the $300 range and would go A2 or A3 instead. But in the $150 range i would try the N1AP versus the A1.

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #38 of 2,298
Two days later now I think I have to say I might have been a bit harsh. We had a major heatwave, I wasn't feeling great and that's not a great climate (badum tsh) to try new things.

I've grown to like the sound of them. It's nice and balanced, and still works well at lower volumes (the H3 didn't, which always bothered me). I'm not sure if they're €300-good, but they're definitely good. It's hard to say it's an upgrade to the H3, but it's not a downgrade either. They're different enough to be good in their own right.

Sep 16, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #39 of 2,298
Thanks @Ambroos for your impressions! How's the isolation by the way?
For those who are able to try/buy the N3/N2/N1 keep the impressions coming. Sony Singapore outlets have not been forthcoming about when these new IEMs are coming here, all they tell me is, "Don't know, sorry." So looks like I'll just have to wait. No massive sales on A3 yet either, much to my major disappointment.
Hopefully things come around by Xmas time, really banking on a good sale. Otherwise, I'll be looking at the Dunu hybrid series, they're somewhat reasonably priced here at LendMeUrEars.

Sep 16, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #40 of 2,298
  Sony Singapore outlets have not been forthcoming about when these new IEMs are coming here, all they tell me is, "Don't know, sorry." 

Hm, that seems to be their reply to pretty much any question. Can't recall ever heard any other reply in a Sony store. Only exemption surprisingly was the Sony Store at Changi Airport.

Sep 18, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #41 of 2,298
Using my N1's for the first time. A real treat! Still experimenting with them, wasn't expecting such clarity and the bass is ever present and punchy. I feel like it's only a matter of burn-in before these start sounding even more colourful or with varying the buds included. Been fiddling about with the EQ on my iPhone 6 and it's crazy how different they sound with each of the presets - can only imagine how they'll come through with a fiio.

I'm a big EDM listener (dubstep, techno and electronic) so far they fit the bill for all genres of music nicely with no real preference. Beautifully rounded. I have a lot of Buena Vista Social Club and jazzy stuff too, the vocals are crisp, clear. Instruments sound like they're in my head. Separation is sweet. When playing bass heavy music like Future/Drake it seems as though the bass is in my head. They're a comfortable listen at 65-70% whilst walking through a busy high street.

Only been using the earbuds which were attached to them when I opened but they seem a great fit, comfortable, soft and clear. These seem like they'd do a great job for prolonged listening on flights and commutes for their lightness and comfortability.
The sound screams quality - they're miles better than my B&W in ears I previously owned (the drivers kept breaking constantly after 6 months use, I had them replaced under warranty 3 or 4 times before it expired)

The bass on these seems more genuine and doesnt deliver that head-crunching migraine thump that many Iems can sometimes do, it's controlled and a breath of fresh air. Maybe I'm getting softer with age, who knows. Build quality is slick, they themselves sport a groovy, modern design, the wire itself feels quality and durable. For those wondering whether these are worth it, I'd say if you like a wide range of sounds then they excel on that front. Looking forward to hearing other people's opinion on these. Would be great to test the N3s to compare.

Sep 20, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #42 of 2,298
The bass on these seems more genuine and doesnt deliver that head-crunching migraine thump that many Iems can sometimes do, it's controlled and a breath of fresh air.

Thanks for your impressions! I'd be interested how low the bass reaches: can you hear sub-bass rumble with the N1? Would you describe the bass as dominant or rather faint? I'm looking for a balanced sound with a solid but not overwhelming bass fundament. Would these fit the bill?

Sep 20, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #43 of 2,298
Thanks for your impressions! I'd be interested how low the bass reaches: can you hear sub-bass rumble with the N1? Would you describe the bass as dominant or rather faint? I'm looking for a balanced sound with a solid but not overwhelming bass fundament. Would these fit the bill?

Just listening to Submotion Orchestra, the bass is definitely here man. I love it, amongst some of the cleanest sounding lows I've heard in an earphone.

Can definitely hear some fantastic sounding rumble - making me fall in love with the music all over again.

These earphones do a great thing whereby they definitely isolate the outside world and it's hustle and bustle. I'd say what you are describing definitely sounds like what these are - the bass is there, its dominant whenever the track calls for it. A subtle gesture, which extentuates whenever it is called upon. The "Deep" sounds really are sounding deep.

Great Balancing from Sony - would be interested to see what other people think, I don't want to oversell them.

Sep 23, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #45 of 2,298
Got the N3AP. Upon first listen, the first thought was this sounds a lot like the JH13FP balance wise. Then I went back to listen to the JH. They have the same on demand dynamics, like Baelander said with the N1AP. They're also more airy than the JH. The JH is more intimate also with quite a bit more midrange resolution. However, the bass and subbass on these in my opinion is very good, fast, and controlled. The PRAT is very impressive. I would say slight V shape, with a bit of missing resolution to the absolute, but of whats missing, it deals with the rest really well. Listening out of a IPhone -> Dragonfly Red. 

Really enjoying them.Hoping more people get to experience this IEM, there's a interesting airiness to the presentation that's positive. Kind of imagining what an Ocharaku sounds like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back