Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Sep 26, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #46 of 2,298
Sub bass and hard (or solid) mid + high
This is my impression so far after one day of listening.

When you listen to receivers for the first time, you find that it is different from the previous one and try to understand what it presents and appreciate this. It's not common that you like new receiver from the very first moment, but N3AP did. I was hooked by its sub bass and still existent mid and high, not just me even my wife told me that she likes this receiver, she usually doesn't care about the sound quality or even thinks that most of receivers are same:)

Now, what's not good.
I don't think that mid and high are mellow, it is a bit hard, solid, or harsh depends on your expectation. But, this helps mid and high to survive from such a dominant sub bass.
Weak upper bass? I cannot hear much upper bass compare with other receivers. But again, the sound will be too congested if there is a strong upper bass as well.

In summary, the sound is quite different from usual V shape receivers, of course much different from flat or analytical ones, and I find it unique and amusing.

Sep 28, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #47 of 2,298
Now, that's interesting: according to Sony of Korea, the XBA-N3AP is indeed meant to be the successor of the XBA-H3 and A3. Here's a quote from Korea's "Chosun" newspaper, Google—translated:

"XBA-N3AP is a new premium earphones with reference to the subsequent development of XBA-H3, A3 existing Sony. It is the biggest feature is rich and magnificent as it sounds jeonhamyeonseo size has decreased dramatically in the existing hybrid series. 

Sony has introduced new technologies to implement outstanding sound quality than existing models in small sizes. First 9mm made of liquid crystal polymer diaphragm for reproducing the bass and midrange. The new diaphragm is designed also jimyeonseo size is smaller to implement the same sound quality as the existing 16mm size. In addition, the acoustic space control technology is applied to play separate acoustic tube connecting the magnificent sound as accurate and then put enough space for Bass back to the diaphragm. 

In order to reproduce the highs and chogoeum close to the original sound by applying a high-resolution HD super tweeter balanced armature drive. This 30% decrease in the size of the existing camp can be implemented with the same quality level. 

The housing also designed to inhibit the unwanted vibration. To design the brass and wind instruments in the same conduit delivers rich, natural sound than.

XBA-N3AP (…) makes a magnificent sound and delivers a stylish and vivid sound. Newly developed 9mm HD super tweeter diaphragm and applied the balanced armature diaphragm. This is a high-resolution reproduction of the original sound natural course through Hollywood, and is optimized for vocal sounds, such as ballads.“

I wonder, though, if the N3AP is really playing in one league with the mighty H3/A3...?

Sep 28, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #48 of 2,298
  Now, that's interesting: according to Sony of Korea, the XBA-N3AP is indeed meant to be the successor of the XBA-H3 and A3. Here's a quote from Korea's "Chosun" newspaper, Google—translated:

"XBA-N3AP is a new premium earphones with reference to the subsequent development of XBA-H3, A3 existing Sony. It is the biggest feature is rich and magnificent as it sounds jeonhamyeonseo size has decreased dramatically in the existing hybrid series. 

Sony has introduced new technologies to implement outstanding sound quality than existing models in small sizes. First 9mm made of liquid crystal polymer diaphragm for reproducing the bass and midrange. The new diaphragm is designed also jimyeonseo size is smaller to implement the same sound quality as the existing 16mm size. In addition, the acoustic space control technology is applied to play separate acoustic tube connecting the magnificent sound as accurate and then put enough space for Bass back to the diaphragm. 

In order to reproduce the highs and chogoeum close to the original sound by applying a high-resolution HD super tweeter balanced armature drive. This 30% decrease in the size of the existing camp can be implemented with the same quality level. 

The housing also designed to inhibit the unwanted vibration. To design the brass and wind instruments in the same conduit delivers rich, natural sound than.

XBA-N3AP (…) makes a magnificent sound and delivers a stylish and vivid sound. Newly developed 9mm HD super tweeter diaphragm and applied the balanced armature diaphragm. This is a high-resolution reproduction of the original sound natural course through Hollywood, and is optimized for vocal sounds, such as ballads.“

I wonder, though, if the N3AP is really playing in one league with the mighty H3/A3...?

Interesting 
smily_headphones1.gif
 i just didn't understand one thing:

(...)

Newly developed 9mm HD super tweeter diaphragm and applied the balanced armature diaphragm.

Does this mean that the dynamic driver also acts as a tweeter? 
confused.gif
 i know this is google translated but i'm confused.

It's still interesting because from what i understood they are trying to give it a similar sound quality from the H3 using a 9mm DD and one balanced armature instead of the usual design (1 huge DD + 1 full range BA + 1 tweeter BA)

Sep 28, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #50 of 2,298
I'm planning on buying my first mid to highend IEM from Sony, (my previous one was the hear.in MDR-EX750AP, but the jack broke and I'm getting no sound, And I'm also using Apple's dual balanced armature IEM but it lacks in the sub bass region and a very annoying distortion on the 3Khz region, which I find disappointing on the type of music I listen to, mostly EDM) but I'm torn apart from both the XBA-A3 or the XBA-N3AP. The XBA-A3 are widely available here in Hong Kong, and cheaper too than then newly released XBA-N3AP. I was wondering if the XBA-N3AP has a better treble response and wider soundstage than the A3? I'm still having doubts on that single BA setup of the N3 on how extended the treble is, but then again I can't seem to find a demo unit here in Hong Kong to test the N3AP. Anyone have a comparison of the two IEMs? I'm leaning towards the XBA-A3 but I want to hear your opinions and comparison to the N3AP before I make a purchase.

Sep 28, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #51 of 2,298

Interesting 
smily_headphones1.gif
 i just didn't understand one thing:

Does this mean that the dynamic driver also acts as a tweeter? 
confused.gif
 i know this is google translated but i'm confused.

It's still interesting because from what i understood they are trying to give it a similar sound quality from the H3 using a 9mm DD and one balanced armature instead of the usual design (1 huge DD + 1 full range BA + 1 tweeter BA)

According to Sony:

"The 9mm dynamic driver maintains drive force for deep bass and clear mids without dropping off like other drivers, while the airtight Balanced Armature driver provides natural high frequency sound for longer. Both drivers work together to keep sound response steady across the frequencies."

Sep 29, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #52 of 2,298
According to Sony:

"The 9mm dynamic driver maintains drive force for deep bass and clear mids without dropping off like other drivers, while the airtight Balanced Armature driver provides natural high frequency sound for longer. Both drivers work together to keep sound response steady across the frequencies."

Yeah that makes sense. Probably not a good direct translation. :) thanks

Oct 1, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #53 of 2,298
Well,
Just dropped into Jaben today and spent 3 hours testing a whole range of IEMs to see what could compete with my favourite Vsonic GR02BE (I have a golden ears pair, as described by friends who've heard them :))...
They ate Rockjaw Alfas for lunch, and Beyers for desert.
JVC FX650 And 750 were close in tone and quality and very very tempting. If only they weren't so big and heavy..:frowning2:
Then the Sony's. To be honest the N3s are not my cup of tea, too bright and hightoned for me, but the N1, yum! Whomping bass, dark power and throbbing middle with clear and outstanding treble tones..I want :) Birthday coming.. Wife feeling generous, me hopeful. :wink:

Oct 3, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #54 of 2,298
To be honest the N3s are not my cup of tea, too bright and hightoned for me, but the N1, yum! Whomping bass, dark power and throbbing middle with clear and outstanding treble tones..I want
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the impressions. I was eyeing the N3AP, but according to your description, the N1AP might be the ones that come close to my listening preference (I own the XBA-A3).

Is the bass tuning and intensity similar on both N3AP and N1AP or do they differ significantly in the lower frequencies? If the N3AP has less bass fundament than the N1AP, and too bright trebles, then it might become a "no go" for me...

Oct 3, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #55 of 2,298
Is the bass tuning and intensity similar on both N3AP and N1AP...

You'll have to take my opinions with a grain of salt, I'm afraid because I listened briefly to the N3, the 300AP and the N1 to see which suited my"palate". I found the N3 to be too bright and the ba sound, where the N1 was rich, gritty and deep - more DD flavour coming through. Which is what I like.
The N3 sounded damn good, don't get me wrong, just I prefer that DD rumble..(yes, it seemed on casual listening that the bass was muddy on the N3 compared to the more direct N1. More ba notes apparent up top too.)
Sorry I can't be of more help until I go back and listen again.. Hopefully.

Oct 3, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #56 of 2,298
You'll have to take my opinions with a grain of salt, I'm afraid because I listened briefly to the N3, the 300AP and the N1 to see which suited my"palate". I found the N3 to be too bright and the ba sound, where the N1 was rich, gritty and deep - more DD flavour coming through. Which is what I like.
The N3 sounded damn good, don't get me wrong, just I prefer that DD rumble..
Sorry I can't be of more help until I go back and listen again.. Hopefully.

I've listened to the XBA-300AP, which at the time were way too "bright" for my taste. Heights were overpowering the faint bass on these.

Are the N3AP or N1AP better in that respect? How would you describe the "newcomers", compared to the XBA-300AP? Any comment is helpful... :)

Oct 3, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #57 of 2,298
Any comment is helpful... :)

I can only give simple impressions as I said but..yes, I also found the 300 to be very, very bright. Detailed but so lacking in punch as to be not my taste. The N1 was rich and powerful. The N3 powerful but seemed muddy with high (shrill?) BA notes floating on top of overly rich base. Just too complicated sounding for my simple tastes. I really enjoyed the N1 and may well get one next month. It had the right mix.. For me. :)

Oct 4, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #58 of 2,298
Alright, I'll try my best to describe what I heard today in Jaben. The N1s were too bassy for me, their bass to me felt was like all over the place, and too much rumble for me, this kind of drowned out the highs for me and made me not like them as much. The N3s were a totally different case though, the bass was still a lot, but was more controlled than the N1, which is a sound signature that I prefer more. An example would be like Justin Bieber's Cold Water, listened on extreme qualtiy on Spotify. The bass punched hard with the rumble present, and at the same time his voice came over clear as water, none of them interfered each other, and made the while song sound extremely fantastic. The N1s in my opinion had no competition with them. I even tested other earphones, the Sony XBA-300AP, the XBA-A2 also, none of them went close to the soundstage and bass that it provides. This post may sound bias though LOL, cause I really digged the N3AP a lot. I plan on getting it when I have the money, I'm just a student so I'm poor ;_; I might get it next year though, I should have saved enough by then LOL.

I appreciate any input from anyone else on my post, I felt I sound really biased xD

Oct 4, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #59 of 2,298
  I'm planning on buying my first mid to highend IEM from Sony, (my previous one was the hear.in MDR-EX750AP, but the jack broke and I'm getting no sound, And I'm also using Apple's dual balanced armature IEM but it lacks in the sub bass region and a very annoying distortion on the 3Khz region, which I find disappointing on the type of music I listen to, mostly EDM) but I'm torn apart from both the XBA-A3 or the XBA-N3AP. The XBA-A3 are widely available here in Hong Kong, and cheaper too than then newly released XBA-N3AP. I was wondering if the XBA-N3AP has a better treble response and wider soundstage than the A3? I'm still having doubts on that single BA setup of the N3 on how extended the treble is, but then again I can't seem to find a demo unit here in Hong Kong to test the N3AP. Anyone have a comparison of the two IEMs? I'm leaning towards the XBA-A3 but I want to hear your opinions and comparison to the N3AP before I make a purchase.

First of all you can't compare the 750 with any of these hi end XBA IEM, they are totally different, and if you need to test them, go to the local sony show room, it's available for testing.

Oct 4, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #60 of 2,298
It's a shame that sony is making me spend more money, only purchased the XBA300 awhile back, along with the ZX 2 a year ago, also have the EX600, EX800, XBA 3, and was thinking of getting the new WM1A  and the classic EX1000( complete my EX reference collect) on my next visit to japan, and now the N3.
confused_face.gif

Not sure if I missed anything, or if it has/hasn't been posted, for those who needs to know, the N3 has a much better cable than the N1, the N1 one is very similar to the 300, also for those who are truely interested in the IEM and have no intention of replacing the supplied cable at present, get the N3/N1 without the AP, and I think japan is they only place to get it, this is basically the IEM without the smartphone control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back