Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Aug 19, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #812 of 2,298
How is it "crappy"? What makes you think you know better than Sony on what filter should be use?

I think the glue sticking the mesh to the inner nozzle of mine came off and the mesh got slightly lower in the nozzle (got even deeper when I tried to fix it lol) sorry, can't explain properly, English isn't my primary language. Does the position /shape of the mesh have significant effects on the sound quality? I would have preferred metal meshes (but I'm just a noob, maybe the material used by Sony is better)

Aug 19, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #813 of 2,298
Don't think they are glued in as I know some people prefer to remove the filters on their Z5. Saying that it gives more detail on the highs but I figure that Sony probably knows what they're doing and have better test equipments to get the best sound profile by their standard so they're there for a reason. Otherwise they can just leave them out and use ear tips with filters built in. I don't really think their position in the nozzle makes much of the difference long as they're not falling out one end or the other.

Aug 20, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #814 of 2,298
I think the glue sticking the mesh to the inner nozzle of mine came off and the mesh got slightly lower in the nozzle (got even deeper when I tried to fix it lol) sorry, can't explain properly, English isn't my primary language. Does the position /shape of the mesh have significant effects on the sound quality? I would have preferred metal meshes (but I'm just a noob, maybe the material used by Sony is better)
How deep the foam is does not matter, just make sure it is not compressed in anyway. Also Sony could have went for real acoustic filters and not just cheaper foam, but I think it is not a big problem anyway. Even tho they are kinda pricey I will probably replace mine either a new good one comes out (from Sony) or in like 3 years. In that time nothing should happen with the foam, just try to not get ear wax or water in them that could damage it over time, but nothing really to worry. If you still wanna make sure they dont get damaged, get some ear tips with a wax guard on them, that way the foam will pretty surely not get damaged.

Aug 20, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #815 of 2,298
Don't think they are glued in as I know some people prefer to remove the filters on their Z5. Saying that it gives more detail on the highs but I figure that Sony probably knows what they're doing and have better test equipments to get the best sound profile by their standard so they're there for a reason. Otherwise they can just leave them out and use ear tips with filters built in. I don't really think their position in the nozzle makes much of the difference long as they're not falling out one end or the other.
They are heldback with something but with just a bit of force are removable, either they are glued or there is like a clip. A friend of mine did remove his filter on the Z5 and said it was not loose.

Aug 22, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #816 of 2,298
After some time with JVC tips i highly recommend them! Very comfortable, good fit and isolation.
Definitely worth the money.

Now I'm happy with my N3AP and not thinking about selling them anymore.
Thanks for the help finding them.

Aug 26, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #818 of 2,298
OK. Anyone who have not tried the JVC Spiral Dot owe it to yourself to give them a try. These thing are amazing. Bigger/wider/more airy soundstage from any tip I've used (Comply, Spin-fit, Triple comfort, etc). Take a look at the picture and you'll see why, the opening is the same size as the nozzle of N3/A3/Z5 so there is no foam, latex, silicone, rubber in the way that would absorb/dampen or reflect sound. All the other tips have an opening that is smaller than the size of the nozzle.

pLSmAIx.jpg

pLSmAIx

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #819 of 2,298
I agree with you Wiz33. Comply foam are darkening/muffling the sound too much in my opinion. Triple confort is a very close second though. The JVC are the way to go with the N3AP for sure and manage to improve an already great IEM.

Aug 27, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #823 of 2,298
I guess you are from HK?

Hope you are right. Should arrive in 2-3 days. Getting bored of my current IEMs atm.

Many moons ago, now reside in the states. Use the triple comfort in the box,they are one of the best tip I've used, but order yourself some Spiral Dot, they're great. BTW, you know of anyplace that sells older JPOP at 24/48 or higher? haven't really been able to find any that you can access outside of Japan.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #824 of 2,298
Many moons ago, now reside in the states. Use the triple comfort in the box,they are one of the best tip I've used, but order yourself some Spiral Dot, they're great. BTW, you know of anyplace that sells older JPOP at 24/48 or higher? haven't really been able to find any that you can access outside of Japan.

I will keep that in mind thanks, actually, I have the Spiral Dot eartips as well as the Spinfit tips lying around somewhere. Just gotta find lol..,

I am in Germany so zero clue, there is no availability for jpop at all here. Usually using google is enough to get my wanted tracks. You could try to join the private tracker like Jpopsuki though if you don't mind pirating.

btw I will be flying to Shenzhen next month, are the N3AP isolating well so I can use them in the plane for a 11 hour flight?

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #825 of 2,298
I will keep that in mind thanks, actually, I have the Spiral Dot eartips as well as the Spinfit tips lying around somewhere. Just gotta find lol..,

I am in Germany so zero clue, there is no availability for jpop at all here. Usually using google is enough to get my wanted tracks. You could try to join the private tracker like Jpopsuki though if you don't mind pirating.

btw I will be flying to Shenzhen next month, are the N3AP isolating well so I can use them in the plane for a 11 hour flight?

Guess, I'll have to make a point to find some vintage vinyl shop next time I'm in Tokyo then digitize them myself using the Sony PSHX500.

Depends on the tips. Triple comfort probably offers more isolation than the Spiral Dot. Comply isolation probably is better but it does dampens a little but not bad. Remember they are not noise cancelling so they won't be near as effective as a good active noise cancelling set.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back