Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Jun 24, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #1,951 of 2,298
I have tried spinfits cp100. they were good at the begninning but after about a month of use they wouldn't stay in place anymore, and eventually fell down and I lost them... too small? Maybe the cp145 are ok?

Well cp145s have arrived! Not as comfortable as the Sony silicone from the Z1R, but not terrible either compared to some others I've tried. I'd say the sound is more open, especially in the upper mid region compared to the Z1R silicone which is also helping with soundstage. What I'm not sure about yet is the impact on the amount of bass - if at all. Need more listening. But these are definitely sounding better as burn in also continues.

Jun 29, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #1,952 of 2,298
Another wee update, with Spiral Dots in the house! I may have FINALLY found the perfect tips. The cp145s sounded great, but they kept slipping and losing its seal which was annoying. The Spiral Dots are far more comfortable and sound wise not as expansive as the cp145s, but I also don't think they're as peaky either. Bass is not sacrificed either. Fingers crossed my tip rolling journey ends here....

Jul 2, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #1,953 of 2,298
Another wee update, with Spiral Dots in the house! I may have FINALLY found the perfect tips. The cp145s sounded great, but they kept slipping and losing its seal which was annoying. The Spiral Dots are far more comfortable and sound wise not as expansive as the cp145s, but I also don't think they're as peaky either. Bass is not sacrificed either. Fingers crossed my tip rolling journey ends here....
Using Spiral Dot++ since like a year ago here.

Sounds very great while being so comfy.
It's my end-game tips for my N3.

Jul 2, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #1,954 of 2,298
Using Spiral Dot++ since like a year ago here.

Sounds very great while being so comfy.
It's my end-game tips for my N3.
Spiral Dots are definitely my current favourites - so will try the ++ at some point.

Jul 7, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #1,956 of 2,298
Hi everyone!
Currently looking for a good on-the-go pair that provide good isolation/no sound leakage with nice sub-bass. Sony XBA-N3 have caught my eye, would they be good for this?

Also, is there anyone who has owned both the Sony and Acoustune (1300SS, 1957CU for example) and could share some impressions?

Jul 7, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #1,957 of 2,298
Hi everyone!
Currently looking for a good on-the-go pair that provide good isolation/no sound leakage with nice sub-bass. Sony XBA-N3 have caught my eye, would they be good for this?

Also, is there anyone who has owned both the Sony and Acoustune (1300SS, 1957CU for example) and could share some impressions?

@Banbeucmas might be the person you're looking for. He lives in Japan and have access to those. While I do also own and selling( :wink: ) the HS1300 I haven't open it.

Jul 7, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #1,958 of 2,298
@Banbeucmas might be the person you're looking for. He lives in Japan and have access to those. While I do also own and selling( :wink: ) the HS1300 I haven't open it.
I would take N3 if I want a safer option, but as far as I can remember HS1300 holds up on its own quite well in terms of texture.

Aug 4, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #1,959 of 2,298
Very interested to buy one but i read few amazon reviews where they said that the cable get loose over time and tends to drop out from the earphone.
Do long term owners experience the same issue?

Aug 4, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #1,961 of 2,298
Very interested to buy one but i read few amazon reviews where they said that the cable get loose over time and tends to drop out from the earphone.
Do long term owners experience the same issue?

Yes, I had this issue. Way too many cable swaps back and forth from 3.5mm to 4.4mm. I simply used a small screwdriver to expand the metal split ring back to size and all is well now. I have had similar issues with Shure cables as well. Picture for clarity:

1628103757679.png

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #1,962 of 2,298
Interesting solution, and doesnt sound that difficult.
In that case i plan to buy the n3ap, which will be the first iem i buy in 10 years.

In my case, i was thinking of just swapping the cable once so i hope it wont be an issue.
Cable im thinking of getting is this

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001244591805.html

@Slaphead i assume you dont swap cables often?

Aug 4, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #1,963 of 2,298
Hi all, first entry in this thread.

As a preface, long term user of EX800ST &1K. Was looking for an iem more suitable for outdoors use and decided upon these. First impressions are not bad, thought I would love them straight away since I grew up loving warm and bassy signatures but then the EX series came along and changed everything. So back to the XBA-N3. My qualms about them are that firstly the contrast between bass and mids is too great. Yea that bass is guilty pleasure material but I'd like it to be more clinical and balanced. They sound boomy and muddies the midrange. That also have the effect of making the mids too recessed. Treble is ok, not the best but the least likely to be EQed if have to.

Nope I stayed with stock cables and tips despite what people recommend as to my ears they make the least change to the frequency response, if they even do at all. 2 routes I tried exploring:

1. bringing down the bass curve (20-500hz) and see how it changes the tonal balance (starting with -2 db for the first 5 bands of a 10 band eq with Q value of 0.7)
2. raising the dip in the mids (200-2khz) and see how it changes the tonal balance (starting with +2 db for the 5th-7th band of 10 band eq with Q value of 0.7)

Number 1 sounds weird, like they suddenly lose their character. Lost interest in this after awhile. Number 2 though is the game changer for me. Now it's on par with the EX series in some aspects, and in others even better. Mids are clearer now which brings in more detail, with good tonality too surprisingly. Bass to mids finally have the balance I'm seeking. Highs remain untouched as I feel that the overall freq response is to my liking now. Bass now dont seem slow and boomy as before, they still retain the signature flavour and is now more controlled, thumpy and slams when it's called for.

Overall I'm really happy with the change. I tuned them with my take of a more balanced or slightly warmer EX800ST or even the IER-M9 in mind. Hope this helps those who is not 100% satisfied with them (the tuning mostly) and is deciding between looking for ways to squeeze that last 1% or just buy a different iem.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #1,964 of 2,298
Yes, I had this issue. Way too many cable swaps back and forth from 3.5mm to 4.4mm. I simply used a small screwdriver to expand the metal split ring back to size and all is well now. I have had similar issues with Shure cables as well. Picture for clarity:

1628103757679.png
I will try that with mine as I have the same issues, my temporary solution is to put some glue as I seldom change cables.

Aug 5, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #1,965 of 2,298
Interesting solution, and doesnt sound that difficult.
In that case i plan to buy the n3ap, which will be the first iem i buy in 10 years.

In my case, i was thinking of just swapping the cable once so i hope it wont be an issue.
Cable im thinking of getting is this

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001244591805.html

@Slaphead i assume you dont swap cables often?
You will not regret it, I think the issue is with the stock cable as the upgraded sony cable I have there is no issue. The only problem why I do not use them is that it is heavy and not intended for walking unless you put the iem over the ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back