Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Oct 27, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #841 of 3,257
yes I am with u on indivisual choice but the problems are more.

1-warranty on sony earphone is questionable

2-the earphone sounds muddier than a dynamic driver so whats the ba driver doing there?

3-i have got sony mh 1c and they kick h1 in arse

4-me a151 cost only 30 dollars so no comparison can be done

5-time will tell but let me tell u this,these buds are gonna die an early dfth as they are lacking in all departments as if the ba is not even working

6-

Oct 27, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #842 of 3,257
I think I'll stay put in XB 41 and 90 ex land as well for the time. World opinion needs to grow, and that will take several month's. Plus the same goes for the F 886. If your ears have been treated to high end IEM's it seems the H3 hasn't past mustard. If you stayed middle of the road, it's been great. Methinks it needs a serious amp, a top end boutique A&K type machine etc. A 3-40.000 frequency range has to find some kind of home.

Oct 27, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #843 of 3,257
man after hearing h1 I really have no hope at all for h3 and by and large ppl are not very happy.

the sound will be even more bloated due to 16 mm driver unit on already bassy h1

so I would advice to go to a store and try these before buying as they seem to be way overpriced-the specs are good on paper but h1 sounded like a bloated iem actually

Oct 27, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #844 of 3,257
man after hearing h1 I really have no hope at all for h3 and by and large ppl are not very happy.

the sound will be even more bloated due to 16 mm driver unit on already bassy h1

so I would advice to go to a store and try these before buying as they seem to be way overpriced-the specs are good on paper but h1 sounded like a bloated iem actually

Are you talking about your replacement H1? Or are these impressions based on the defective set?

Oct 27, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #845 of 3,257
Are you talking about your replacement H1? Or are these impressions based on the defective set?

unfortunately replacement set

only thing changed was the audio balance and its centric now

I will give burn in but seriously don't expect much

these cans instead of giving accurate sound they completely bloat it.

highly disappointed,i would really ask ppl to give it a pass and get maybe bwz m3 or sennheiser cx 400 or me a161

Oct 27, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #846 of 3,257
8 out of 10 sounds ok!! Or very good!!
It depends on what you believe a 9 or 10 is...
Basically from an apple device you think it sounded good...

Ok man some impressions please ( from the apple device )
: soundstage
: brightness/darkness
: the sound of vocals
: highs
: mids
Bass was great by the sounds of it

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

a 10 is not like the ultimate earphone, a 10 was the H3 on the Mac book and compared to that it was a 8 on my Dell @ Home.
The soundstage is great, as I said, I turned around as I thought someone is talking to me and I was able to show the exact spot.
I would say it is a bit dark. But does not sound bloated.
Vocals sound really clear and you could not just hear the singer taking breath, you could hear a lot of details in the voice.
highs are there and clear, but I like it in Psytrance i.e. when the snare is so sharp that it hurts in the ear. But others call it hissing and dont like it.

If they miss detail on regular music files I can't see how they will be able to present the minutia that is in those kind of HD files.

I don´t know what to say... actually I think you are in the wrong forum. Of course THIS makes the difference. Bad files sound on cheap Headphones better, because they don´t point out the lost quality. Its like watching a old Homevideo on a 20" tv and it looks nice, but when you see it on a 50" full HD TV you will say the video looks blurred. And this is like you are watching only crappy Videos on your new flat screen and then you say "the TV is bad, it has a low resolution and as it is not sharp on my old black and white movies it will sure be bad with a blu ray too."

I don´t get any money by sony or work for them. But I am pretty sure you are doing something wrong. At first it was the same for the xba 3 until the majority noticed it is dued to the source. And by the way, the XBA - H3 has the same dynamic speaker as the ex1000.

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #847 of 3,257
a 10 is not like the ultimate earphone, a 10 was the H3 on the Mac book and compared to that it was a 8 on my Dell @ Home.
The soundstage is great, as I said, I turned around as I thought someone is talking to me and I was able to show the exact spot.
Vocals sound really clear and you could not just hear the singer taking breath, you could hear a lot of details in the voice.
highs are there and clear, but I like it in Psytrance i.e. when the snare is so sharp that it hurts in the ear. But others call it hissing and dont like it.

I don´t know what to say... actually I think you are in the wrong forum. Of course THIS makes the difference. Bad files sound on cheap Headphones better, because they don´t point out the lost quality. Its like watching a old Homevideo on a 20" tv and it looks nice, but when you see it on a 50" full HD TV you will say the video looks blurred. And this is like you are watching only crappy Videos on your new flat screen and then you say "the TV is bad, it has a low resolution and as it is not sharp on my old black and white movies it will sure be bad with a blu ray too."

I don´t get any money by sony or work for them. But I am pretty sure you are doing something wrong. At first it was the same for the xba 3 until the majority noticed it is dued to the source. And by the way, the XBA - H3 has the same dynamic speaker as the ex1000.

buddy I think the xba series is way overpriced after gbtting h1

u are right regarding source on xba 1,2,3 as they have low impedance of 12 ohm and as a result they require a source with impedance of 1.5 or lesser

on the other hand xba h series have a healthy impedance of 40 ohm a source having impedance around 5 is also good for them so chances of variations is way less

and my h1 actually sound pretty same on xperia mini and clip plus

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #848 of 3,257
Let's be honest, the only way this will ever be answered specifically and correctly is with a full analysis on a test head. Everyone has differing ear fits and hearing frequency response (I'm very bass sensitive and can hear low freq noise when others can't) so personal opinions only go so far as a rough guide. No point suggesting people don't buy them out do buy them, you've no idea how their hearing will respond, but it's good to have general feedback. I'm still awaiting my h3s and haven't cancelled my order yet because the comments are highly variable, which suggests they're coloured by personal opinion and the price effect.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #849 of 3,257
Let's be honest, the only way this will ever be answered specifically and correctly is with a full analysis on a test head. Everyone has differing ear fits and hearing frequency response (I'm very bass sensitive and can hear low freq noise when others can't) so personal opinions only go so far as a rough guide. No point suggesting people don't buy them out do buy them, you've no idea how their hearing will respond, but it's good to have general feedback. I'm still awaiting my h3s and haven't cancelled my order yet because the comments are highly variable, which suggests they're coloured by personal opinion and the price effect.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I think u won't be happy given the reviews

out of 3 actually h2 have got worst reviews

any experience on creative aruvana 3?
I think u should consider those too

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #850 of 3,257

Sweet
I'm getting a pair for sure :)
: one more thing , how is the music presented to you?
Is it more out in front of you ...
or dose it put you like inside ( onstage ) the music?

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #851 of 3,257
sardar17 said:
 #91;/quote]I think u won't be happy given the reviewsout of 3 actually h2 have got worst reviewsany experience on creative aruvana 3?I think u should consider those too

H2 got poor reviews from the start iirc, there was never a chance. Most of the reviews seem positive to my mind. I loved my xba30s but they have no bass to speak of. I'd rather have an item I can eq the low end down if needed than one that just can't produce it. I'm worried about Sony quality control though, the 30s frequency response drifted so there was definite biases in each ear. If that happens again I won't be pleased and they will go straight back.

Oct 27, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #852 of 3,257
H2 got poor reviews from the start iirc, there was never a chance. Most of the reviews seem positive to my mind. I loved my xba30s but they have no bass to speak of. I'd rather have an item I can eq the low end down if needed than one that just can't produce it. I'm worried about Sony quality control though, the 30s frequency response drifted so there was definite biases in each ear. If that happens again I won't be pleased and they will go straight back.

i think u should strongly consider brainwavz r3 dual driver sets based on my experience with comparitively cheaper m3.
u can order from mp4 nation website at 129 dollars.............i made the mistake of ordering h1 and as a result have no money left,,,,lol

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #853 of 3,257
I've got 20 years of enjoying Sony's dynamic drivers, with only one bum steer, the ex 500-or 501. If their not world class at this art, no one is.Their Walkman's are peerless as well, witness the humble yet sublime e 474. Perhaps they should draw a line at BA's, or at least single one's., If I do decide to get the F886, I'll upgrade to the ex 800 or stay with the 90. It is hugely popular with Japanese students, who would only replace it with the 1000, if funds would only allow. That is saying something.

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #854 of 3,257
  More XBA-H3 sound impressions and a short comparison to the XBA-3 after 20 hours of "burn-in":

I don't think these have been changing much since yesterday, bass is still boomy and dominant no matter which test track I choose. Trying to get a better idea of their tonality, I bring the XBA-3 into the mix... and sure enough, these are even closer to the H3 than the XBA-4. There's nothing of the XBA-4's strangely skewed upper frequencies in the H3 and in fact I'd say the latter's mids and highs sound pretty darn close to the XBA-3's. Their bass, however, is good deal more bloated and obnoxious, so I try to equalize it down to XBA-3 levels.

EQed down by -4db @ 80Hz , the H3's bass quantity starts sounding about on par with the XBA-3's and I can finally try to compare their quality, which, to my ears, is somewhat of a mixed bag. On the one hand the H3's dynamic driver adds slightly more natural timbre and effortlessness to the bass range, but strangely enough, even at comparable amplitudes, the H3's bass sounds a tad worse defined and slightly more blurred than the XBA-3's. There's seems to be something odd going on down there, maybe some kind of interference between DD and BAs, idk, but the H3's low end doesn't sound entirely clean and well controlled to these ears.

Once again bringing the EX1000 into the comparison, it's so immediately apparent how different these are to me, much more linear and controlled in bass and overall just leaner, cleaner and more sophisticated.

That said, for those who love the XBA-3 sound, but would like significantly more bass, the XBA-H3 may be the ticket. As someone who thinks the XBA-3 have more than enough bass punch and would rather trade some mid-bass for a little more deep bass extension, I'd say the XBA-H3 are barking up the wrong tree, as they just add an evenly distributed heap of bass on top of what's already there in the XBA-3.

XBA-H3 vs. XBA-3 comparison update after blocking the H3's vents, as suggested by Inks / Rin:

Believe it or not, but it's amazing how much of a difference two tiny pieces of duct tape can make for the H3. Blocking the housing's vents results not only in reduced bass quantity, but first and foremost in significantly better control. A bloated and blurred offering for the Beats crowd turns into a pair of serious top tier IEMs. They still remain quite bassy though, even after the mod, but timbre and coherence are greatly improved across the whole frequency range.

The XBA-H3 basically sound like a slightly darker / warmer version of the XBA-3 now, with better deep bass extension and more low-end authority. I still feel tempted to EQ them down by 2 or 3 db @ 80Hz to get them to where I really want them, but even on flat EQ, this is a significant improvement over the stock sound.

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #855 of 3,257
  I've got 20 years of enjoying Sony's dynamic drivers, with only one bum steer, the ex 500-or 501. If their not world class at this art, no one is.Their Walkman's are peerless as well, witness the humble yet sublime e 474. Perhaps they should draw a line at BA's, or at least single one's., If I do decide to get the F886, I'll upgrade to the ex 800 or stay with the 90. It is hugely popular with Japanese students, who would only replace it with the 1000, if funds would only allow. That is saying something.

i am sure ex 1000 will be excellent but they cost above 450$!!

i am for something good in 100-150 dollars and i stil think considering the performance of 90$ brainwavz m3 ,,,,,bvz r3 will be excellent and they just cost 130 dollars

even i have been listeming to sony players for last 8 years........they are good but they have fixed memory and don't support flac except f series and z series(android one) so its not an option anymore as a result i have a rockboxed clip+ which is just better in all department except the sony ones have a characteristic warmth

on earphones the major aversion i have to sony is due to their useless 90 day replacement warranty and their huge bass emphasis.

i want something of calibre of me a161

Users who are viewing this thread

Back