Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Oct 23, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #721 of 3,257
I was ready to order the H1 or  H3 but the reviews on this thread have started to be contradictory to a point I need to wait for an expert.
I think the H3 being the new benchmark for Sony IEM deserves a methodological evaluation rather than the ..."it sounds great but not too great but great enough but not so much"

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #723 of 3,257
I like mine :wink:

I also like how these look, they are very classy in my opinion.

my only issues stem from how much I like the noise cancelling of my QC20 as any microphonics (and these don't have much!!) and noise annoys me now.

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #724 of 3,257
How do you even get a proper seal with these? The medium and large tips seem to just fall out of my ears or the sound is 'tinny'. Not sure if the foamed silicone ones are better or not.

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #725 of 3,257
I use the large tips and they work well for me. Try the foams. Are they literally loose in your ear canal?

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #726 of 3,257
I like mine :wink:

I also like how these look, they are very classy in my opinion.

my only issues stem from how much I like the noise cancelling of my QC20 as any microphonics (and these don't have much!!) and noise annoys me now.

I've just received my qc20i but was also considering the H1 !!! Coincidence !!! :D
How would you compare them regarding bass, mids, treble, soundstage...

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #727 of 3,257
The H1 is better in my opinion in all areas you mentioned. The QC20 is more comfortable and less noisy.

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #729 of 3,257
My impressions of the H1 don't add anything to what's already been said here: lush, musical, energetic, versatile, seductive, relatively detailed. Here are some other IEMs I was looking at. Would've been nice to compare hands-on. After almost a week, I've decided this one's a keeper.

alternatives
Yamaha EPH-100
VSonic GR07BE
Kef M200
Philips Fidelio S2
Dunu DN-1000
JVC FXZ-200 / FXZ-100
RBH EP2
Sony XBA-30
Sony XB90EX
Shure SE215
JVC FX500
Creative Aurvana 3

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #730 of 3,257
So dweaver, do you think the H1 sounds better than the M200? Do you believe the H1 is more refined than the M200, and has more micro details?

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #731 of 3,257
  My impressions of the H1 don't add anything to what's already been said here: lush, musical, energetic, versatile, seductive, relatively detailed. Here are some other IEMs I was looking at. Would've been nice to compare hands-on. After almost a week, I've decided this one's a keeper.

alternatives
Yamaha EPH-100
VSonic GR07BE
Kef M200
Philips Fidelio S2
Dunu DN-1000
JVC FXZ-200 / FXZ-100
RBH EP2
Sony XBA-30
Sony XB90EX
Shure SE215
JVC FX500
Creative Aurvana 3

That's my list!! Well... the 100$-150$ ones anyway
biggrin.gif

Balanced with a lean towards bassy is how I'd describe my preferred sound sig.
Availablility and Custom duty constraints have whittled my list down to the XBA H1 and the XBA 3. I can get both for around the same price. (XBAH1 : 113$, XBA3 : 125$)
What would you guys recommend? From the impressions here, I've gathered the H1 is a sidegrade to the XBA3. But for someone who has neither?

I mostly listen to hiphop instrumentals and female vocals. While bass is important to me, I find weak/shy mids irritating (Currently use the Brainwavz R1).

How do I choose between the XBA 3 and the XBA H1? I've only owned dark phones in the past so I want this set to be my introduction into the (relatively)balanced world. 

Sources:
Sansa clip+
Nexus 4
Additional useless info : I have a narrow ear canal. The smallest tips are usually a snug fit for me. Isolation is a non issue as I will not be using these for travel.

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #732 of 3,257
Wow the bass on these are really noticeable, not as in super boomy but with my xba3 I hear the bass and its just blended in with the music, with the H1 its like I am noticing the bass on every song and its very prominent, not a bad thing but its interesting.

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #733 of 3,257
Initial impressions of the XBA-H1 compared to my Carbo Basso in layman's terms.

Build Quality
The build quality is so much better; the flat cable is less prone to tangling as well as looking nice with the two-tone red and black going on, the 3.5mm jack has a nice housing / enclosure to it. The earphones seem very well built considering they're mostly plastic.

Comfort
I've actually had no problems with them comfort wise. This was quite surprising to me as the housings are fairly large compared to my Carbo Basso, but the way they go in the ear means that the housing doesn't really hurt (For me anyway so far)

Sound
Well, as probably expected, they are better to my ears in every department. The bass isn't that much different quantity-wise, but it seems much better quality bass. Again, this will probably get better as they burn in but so far so good.

Sorry that I can't really express things in technical terms as I'm simply not as audio savvy as some on this forum, but one thing I do know is they are an improvement over what I had before and they definitely sound awesome to me. 

Any recommendations / links to some tips I can try out that work well?

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #734 of 3,257
Eric the M200 is more linear and neutral than the H1. I no longer have the M200 on hand so can't say which is more detailed but I think the M200 was a bit smoother. The H1 on the other hand has a warm lush sound to it that is very enjoyable and I like the sound stage and instrument placement.

the H1 wins hands down for comfort and isolation.

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #735 of 3,257
Mackem, if your in the US go to Radio Shack and get some Auvio tips if they still have them. They are like the Sony tips but have a wide nozzle which will open up the sound of the H1 adding midrange and treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back