Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Oct 11, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #451 of 3,257
  I´m reading here since 2 weeks and as in germany no one cares about the hybrid series I created an account, just because of these iems :)

I had a lot of in ears, but mostly cheap ones. The best, i ever had was the XBA 2. Its hard to describe, but actually i liked the pause better then the music. So with dynamical headphones and cheap BAs every sound is like a hill and ba sounds more like ! --- i dont know, its hard to explain.

So thats why i am looking really forward to a better one. I allready liked the bass of the XBA2 and i thought about buying the XBA 4, as it is even better and a lot of people wrote the bass is deeper, faster and overall better then Denon AHD 5000 (for 800$). But as the XBA H3 should be even better then XBA4 and is in the same price range, im really excited.

BUT I have some doubts:
I really like the fast punches of BAs, especially in the Bass I like music like sesto sento, eskimo, infected mushrooms... so music with a fast, punching bass. I am affraid, that a dynamic driver will more sound like a wobbel bass of dnb or hip-hop. So the worst would be a deep bass which is putting a drone soudn over it all.

PS: Could someone explain me what "poridge" means as highlight of a headphone? I just know it as a food and then it would exactly mean what would be the worst for me: a mixed, blurred overall sound

hello Simon,

I'm Mr. porridge. I've not fully fleshed out my rating system at ohm-image. I'm very sorry. Porridge is simply something that exists that can keep you alive if you eat it, but which few people like. I use it semi-humourously on my website to describe issues I have with certain earphones/amps/speakers/DACs. As such, porridge isn't a feature, it is a flaw. However, I won't go so far. I've gotten out of the rating game and into the talking game. I hope to clear up ohm's manual soon so that anyone who reads it from anywhere will be able to understand it. 

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #453 of 3,257
Just got them now (great service by Sony Centre, phoned me to let me know they were delivered, free next day delivery to store, recommended).

Unfortunately, there is a "no headphones" policy at work (something about answering phones, idk), so no impressions till much later tonight (8-11pm). Also, no comparison with the atrio mg7's just yet, they have been sent back for repair (hence the purchase of the h1). If/when they come back, I will post a more detailed observation of both.

Pic:

:D

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #454 of 3,257
Just got them now (great service by Sony Centre, phoned me to let me know they were delivered, free next day delivery to store, recommended).

Unfortunately, there is a "no headphones" policy at work (something about answering phones, idk), so no impressions till much later tonight (8-11pm). Also, no comparison with the atrio mg7's just yet, they have been sent back for repair (hence the purchase of the h1). If/when they come back, I will post a more detailed observation of both.

Pic:

biggrin.gif

I'm so jealous!

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #455 of 3,257

Pic:

Awesome! Please let us know if they are high end like the xba3 or lower in sq compared to those.

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #457 of 3,257

Pic:

Try burning them in when you are at work :p

Oct 11, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #458 of 3,257
XBA-H3 Highlights: ohmage

Wide sound stage
Good high frequency extension
Powerful, well-resolved 30-50Hz detail
Great sound balance for a hybrid dynamic / balanced earphone
XBA-H3 Highlights: porridge

Vocals should step out further
NOTE: MMCX connection

Thanks for explaining, but I still don´t get it. first you say "highlights: ohmage"
then you explain a lot of positive things and afterwards as kind of summation you say "porridge" so there is something you dont like. what is it, i just found positive feedback in your text

Oct 11, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #460 of 3,257
  hello Simon,

I'm Mr. porridge. I've not fully fleshed out my rating system at ohm-image. I'm very sorry. Porridge is simply something that exists that can keep you alive if you eat it, but which few people like. I use it semi-humourously on my website to describe issues I have with certain earphones/amps/speakers/DACs. As such, porridge isn't a feature, it is a flaw. However, I won't go so far. I've gotten out of the rating game and into the talking game. I hope to clear up ohm's manual soon so that anyone who reads it from anywhere will be able to understand it.

Hi shigzeo, you have readers from a lot of non native English speaking nations around the globe. I am also from Germany, like Simon. So this forum is a global success by now. And English humor is the least thing we learn at school. I know what porridge is, but have no clue how this relates to HeadFi stuff. And what the heck is ohmage, is it homage........????  Need a lot of good beer to read your stuff and believe I understood more than a few words
beerchug.gif

But anyways I shot the Sony EX-1000 from Ebay and hope it is no porridge.....
ph34r.gif
 EX-1000 incoming midfield low........

Oct 11, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #461 of 3,257
I think ohmage means the resistance, which is 40 Ohms

I think I am going to buy them. As a scientific, i could order them right now for 210€ when I buy it before october 14th. So the bad news is I can not wait for reviews and it is possible, that in end of Oktober the price drops and I regret it (usually it gets cheaper at Amazon compared to Sonys price). But on the other hand it could be that I regret it, when the price stays at 299 and i did not use that offer and everyone of you is happy. hard decision

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #465 of 3,257
I'll no doubt be spending time trying all the new Sony IEMs against my XBA-30s in the up-coming weeks, as will the other guys in Japan, so you'll get plenty of impressions if you can wait. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back