Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Jan 24, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #1,561 of 3,257
EX1000 is a hit and miss type of iem's, and if you are one of those lucky guys who got hit you are pretty much done with upgrading (if not downgrading) iem's. :)

If you can get an open/neutral/transparent/clean source for your EX1000, then you are likely one of those lucky guys (like me :) who will get hit ridiculously hard.

Now, I have like-new 4.Ai to trade for your EX1000 if anyone is interested.

Jan 24, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #1,562 of 3,257
Just how much of a drawback is the EX1000's isolation? I swear I've been back on forth for my next IEM for ages, and the EX1000 often comes back to my thoughts, but they would rarely be used inside, and mainly for walking my dog and a bit of travel/public transport. I've seen their isolation described as both mediocre and poor, I think. Are they mainly for home use?

Jan 24, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #1,563 of 3,257
  Just how much of a drawback is the EX1000's isolation? I swear I've been back on forth for my next IEM for ages, and the EX1000 often comes back to my thoughts, but they would rarely be used inside, and mainly for walking my dog and a bit of travel/public transport. I've seen their isolation described as both mediocre and poor, I think. Are they mainly for home use?

No I don't think so it's just for indoor use. I have used it many times during the flights and occasionally while driving. Just use the music and crank up the vol to isolate the ambient noise. :)

Jan 28, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #1,567 of 3,257
I own a pair of Sony XBA-C10 and BeyerDynamics DT-990 250. I would like to find something that resembles the sound signature of DT-990 250 version. Wonder if any people had the experience comparing the XBA-H3 and DT-990 250 in terms of precision and texture of the sound.

Not an audiophile but I like to hear more things in my music.
TIA!

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #1,568 of 3,257
  I own a pair of Sony XBA-C10 and BeyerDynamics DT-990 250. I would like to find something that resembles the sound signature of DT-990 250 version. Wonder if any people had the experience comparing the XBA-H3 and DT-990 250 in terms of precision and texture of the sound.

Not an audiophile but I like to hear more things in my music.
TIA!

Hello,

I have the DT 990 250 and the XBA-H3.

The DT990 250 have better sound stage and is more "airy" compared to the XBA-H3. The XBA-H3 have much more bass and sub bass and the treble is very smooth but I like the treble of the DT990. 

I use the DT990 250 on my PC with the Creative Sound Blaster Z and the XBA-H3 on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

To sum up, the detail level, sound stage, clarity on the DT990 250 is better than that on the XBA-H3.

The XBA-H3 bass is one of the best and is more alongside the sub bass.

But you are comparing an OPEN full size headphone with an IEM. The XBA-H3 is more similar to the DT770 250 (which I used to own) than the DT990 250.

Hope I helped.

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #1,569 of 3,257
Just got these - earbuds from the set all suck. It "Hurts" to listen(tsk tsk). Put on foam tips from deceased Audio Technica ATH-ANC33 - bingo they disappeared on my ears.

Connected up to FiiO 07 one that drives DT-990 Pros sound started to hurt. not sure why, kinda like getting like getting faint tooth ache.

Weird headphones, and they look the part. But they sure do resolve, all them frequencies from top to bottom2. Hopefully funky sound signature will even out after burn in.

But first impressions are first.

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #1,570 of 3,257
What kind of music did you listen to?

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #1,571 of 3,257
Mostly Rock like Black Keys, soundtrack from californiacation. seemed if I EQ 250-500 out the resonance was gone, not sure what it is.

the sound pipe is a bit too short so stuffing those short airbuds it into ear canal left me with a bit of unpleasant feel.

Jan 30, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #1,572 of 3,257
  So I received my H3 today. Here are my initial impressions:

I still need to wrap my head around the XBA-H3 some more, but I was expecting quite worse than what I'm hearing. I can't say this is the heaviest earphone I've heard note-wise (it's definitely is 3-Dish and has weight in the sound, but I've heard other earphones with weightier notes in the 3-D realm), but the combination of weight and wide soundstage I will have to think hard about what I've heard to match it. Also, to be such a bassy earphone, this is one of the most detailed universals I have heard in vocals. And I do mean DETAILED vocals!! Sounds great to me, although some may think it's too much. The bass sounds a touch muddy to me (I went straight to the new Sony foam/silicon hybrids), but I do expect that to clear up with burn-in. The bass is enough to satisfy a basshead, but it's not in the far reaches of of being a basshead earphone. This is another full sounding earphone - like the ATH-IM70 - that is super rich and refined. Yes, much more refined than the IM70 (and I still love it's sound), and richly detailed. I can say right now this is what I dreamed for the EX1000 and EX600 to sound like in some sort of weird combination. The highs extend beautifully with none of that stabbing my eardrums with daggers sound. Lots of space around the instruments. Look this earphone, I think, will have too much bass for audiophiles, but will be perfect for audiophiles (like me) who love bass (if that makes sense). I'm using the X3 DAP, and I can say even right now this is the best Sony earphone I've ever heard! I still own the Sony XBA-4 (paid quite a bit more for it than I paid for the XBA-H3). The XBA-H3 absolutely destroys the XBA-4 to my  ears. Well done Sony! More solid impressions to come later, of course. Before you ask me what is the sound signature comparable too, I don't know. It sounds like a mixture of top tiers I've heard. Then it sounds uniquely like itself to me. I need to sort this signature out, but I like it. I initially was going to say the mids are recessed, but they aren't. There's just so much space between instruments. In case you're wondering, I'm digging this earphone already ... big time. 

Oh, as for fit. I had major problems with the fit of the EX-1000, EX-600, and 7550. All three felt heavy in my ears and tended to sag and feel like they wanted to pop out. The body of the H3  - I believe -  is bigger than the EX-1000, but somehow feel more comfortable and stable. I'm thinking this is because it's made with a light material (not the metals that made up the EX-600 and EX-1000) and a bit difference in the shape of it. Also, the new hybrid foam tips are holding it in place inside of my ears, so far so good. 

Hi. I see that you're using the FiiO X3 DAP with your XBA-H3. As the H3 has a higher impedance, I was wondering if you would use the 'High' gain setting on the X3 with the H3? And what volume (out of the maximum 60) do you usually need to play the X3 at to get a decent sound from the H3? I am asking because I own an X3 and I'm considering the H3. Thanks!

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #1,575 of 3,257
Mine improved substantially with burn-in. Peaky treble disappeared and the bass became much more controlled. Still an emphasized low end, but tighter sounding.

i concur with you , burning helps , not enough still good enough .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back