Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Jan 30, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #1,576 of 3,257
  Hi. I see that you're using the FiiO X3 DAP with your XBA-H3. As the H3 has a higher impedance, I was wondering if you would use the 'High' gain setting on the X3 with the H3? And what volume (out of the maximum 60) do you usually need to play the X3 at to get a decent sound from the H3? I am asking because I own an X3 and I'm considering the H3. Thanks!

No, I don't max out on the X3, and I don't usually use the high gain. I have used it, but I've found that the low gain is just fine to give me enough volume without maxing out. I can play it in the 30s (rarely do I push it up to 40). Hope that helps.

Jan 30, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #1,577 of 3,257
Mine improved substantially with burn-in. Peaky treble disappeared and the bass became much more controlled. Still an emphasized low end, but tighter sounding.

beerchug.gif

Jan 30, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #1,578 of 3,257
How come my XBA-H3 is nothing like what you guys are talking about treble? Mine is not bright at all and the treble is not peaky since the time I have used it. The only thing that improved over time is the bass.

Maybe the European, Asian, American versions differ in terms of treble ? I don't know. 

PS: Mine is the US version.

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #1,579 of 3,257
How come my XBA-H3 is nothing like what you guys are talking about treble? Mine is not bright at all and the treble is not peaky since the time I have used it. The only thing that improved over time is the bass.

Maybe the European, Asian, American versions differ in terms of treble ? I don't know. 

PS: Mine is the US version.

I don't find it bright at all either.

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #1,580 of 3,257
Hi, guys! Does any one own both the Sony XBA-H3 and Dunu DN-1000 hybrids? If so, can you provide a comparison between the two especially in terms of sound quality (I can't seem to find any detailed comparisons between the two at the moment)? Thanks! :)

On another note, what is the lowest price any of you have paid for the XBA-H3 and where/when did you get it? Just curious how prices vary in different parts of the world. Here in Hong Kong the cheapest I have found so far is around US$315.

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #1,582 of 3,257
  Hi, guys! Does any one own both the Sony XBA-H3 and Dunu DN-1000 hybrids? If so, can you provide a comparison between the two especially in terms of sound quality (I can't seem to find any detailed comparisons between the two at the moment)? Thanks! :)

Ericp10 owns both

On another note, what is the lowest price any of you have paid for the XBA-H3 and where/when did you get it? Just curious how prices vary in different parts of the world. Here in Hong Kong the cheapest I have found so far is around US$315.

I was on holiday in Indonesia over Xmas, the Sony Centre shop there are selling them for US$280, and that's their MSRP

Jan 31, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #1,583 of 3,257
So after 2 days these started to grow on me. One way I can describe these cans is hey there all these insane frequencies and transitions and they are all in my head. Blows my mind. Dynamics too makes me want to dance. I guess I can put them up there with DT990s in kind of detail resolution - once you have foam tips on bass is not too intrusive - unlike with rubber tips, where base/bass just blows your head off in high quality, 'feeling it' kind of way.

For me the headphone tips in the kit do not work at all - ear canals hurt, earbuds never stay in place. I tried those from XBA-C10 and they don't work either. Maybe a design issue or way I am trying to fit them in is not right? I can sleep with C10s in my ears no problem. I am in russia at the present will be visiting USA in a few days hopefully will be able to score some nice foam tips in LA.

All in all technology/sound is awesome for all sorts of muisc, wish they'd field tested the fitting and had it be more like XBA-C10. I got these to travel with would definitely recommend for on-the-road kind of hifi experience.

Also would like to mention up a thread somewhere someone mentioned doing -5db on 135hz - it does work if you have rubber tips. Completely clears up hesitant smudging in are of sub base/base frequency range.

I would give 9/10 just because it does not fit right out of the box and you might have to look for other options to use these.

Jan 31, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #1,584 of 3,257
Fit and seal is alwsys the problem with iems. No ear canal is the same. And I don't think one can sleep with those anyways.

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #1,587 of 3,257

Hello ClassicalViola. Let me settle down (on the road working). I'll try to give you some brief comparisons in a little while. I don't have them with me to A/B right now, but I'm familiar with the sound of both enough. 

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #1,588 of 3,257
  Hello ClassicalViola. Let me settle down (on the road working). I'll try to give you some brief comparisons in a little while. I don't have them with me to A/B right now, but I'm familiar with the sound of both enough. 

Hi Eric, looking forward to your comparisons between the H3 and DN-1000!

What would you use as your source for A/B-ing them? Would you be using your FiiO X3? That would make the comparisons more relevant for me as I would use the X3 with whichever I decide to get in the end.

Thanks!

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #1,589 of 3,257
  Hi Eric, looking forward to your comparisons between the H3 and DN-1000!

What would you use as your source for A/B-ing them? Would you be using your FiiO X3? That would make the comparisons more relevant for me as I would use the X3 with whichever I decide to get in the end.

Thanks!

ClassicalViola, actually I won't be A/Bing them. I listen to both enough every week (on a variety of sources such as the X3, DX50, and iPod Classics) to know the differences in sound signatures. Both iems are good, but the H3 is great to my ears. The sound signatures aren't anything alike to even compare, and the technology is used differently in both. Let me explain further.

The DN-1000 uses its dynamic driver mainly for the bass, and then one BA covers the mid and the other one the highs (I'm sure there may be some crossover among drivers, but I don't know how much or where). The H3, on the other hand, use its 16mm dynamic driver as a full woofer (similar to how speakers are set up with a woofer and tweeter), but it also uses one of its BA driver full-range too. Finally, the other BA is used only as a super-tweeter. This is why I disagree with djvkool about the DN-1000 being just as good or better than the H3. Technically they don't even compare.

So I find the H3, as I stated on another thread, as sounding almost like a headphone in my ear. The DN-1000, on the other hand, sounds like a very detailed iem. The frequencies in the DN-1000, however, don't  extend in detail at all like the frequencies do in the H3 (on either end). The H3 has a clearly fuller, taller, livelier, and more 3-Dish sound than the DN-1000. The Sony has a wider soundstage, greater headstage, and depth between instruments. It has more space between instruments and vocals. And it's not subtle. It kicks you in the face, the differences between the H3 and the DN-1000. Now why djvkool didn't hear these differences I don't know, but I can only speculate that he didn't have good seal with the H3 when he did his brief audition. 

But to my ears, that price difference is there for a reason. The DN-1000 doesn't compete with the H3, but the Dunu is a very good earphone. I would not consider the DN-1000 a high-resolution earphone, but the H3 definitely is. I hope that helps.

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #1,590 of 3,257

ClassicalViola, actually I won't be A/Bing them. I listen to both enough every week (on a variety of sources such as the X3, DX50, and iPod Classics) to know the differences in sound signatures. Both iems are good, but the H3 is great to my ears. The sound signatures aren't anything alike to even compare, and the technology is used differently in both. Let me explain further.

The DN-1000 uses it's dynamic driver mainly for the bass, and then one BA covers the mid and the other one the highs (I'm sure there may be some crossfeed among drivers, but I don't know how much or where). The H3, on the other hand, use its 16mm dynamic driver as a full woofer (similar to how speakers are set up with a woofer and tweeter), but it also uses one of its BA driver full-range too. Finally, the other BA is used only as a super-tweeter. This is why I disagree with djvkool about the DN-1000 being just as good or better than the H3. Technically they don't even compare.

So I find the H3, as I stated on another thread, as sounding almost like a headphone in my ear. The DN-1000, on the other hand, sounds like a very detailed iem. The frequencies in the DN-1000, however, don't  extend in detail at all like the frequencies do in the H3 (on either end). The H3 has a clearly fuller, taller, livelier, and more 3-Dish sound than the DN-1000. The Sony has a wider soundstage, greater headstage, and depth between instruments. It has more space between instruments and vocals. And it's not subtle. It kicks you in the face, the differences between the H3 and the DN-1000. Now why djvkool didn't hear these differences I don't know, but I can only speculate that he didn't have good seal with the H3 when he did his brief audition. 

But to my ears, that price difference is there for a reason. The DN-1000 doesn't compete with the H3, but the Dunu is a very good earphone. I would not consider the DN-1000 a high-resolution earphone, but the H3 definitely is. I hope that helps.

Wow. I like how you explained the difference between the configuration of the drivers in both hybrids. Does 'crossfeed' refer to making coverage between the different drivers overlap? And am I interpreting you correctly that the 16mm dynamic driver and 1 of the BA drivers in the H3 both cover the full range? Would this configuration in the H3 lead to a fuller sound since the frequency coverage of the two drivers overlap a lot?

About your statement that the H3 sounds almost like a headphone (to your ears) and the DN-1000, like a very detailed IEM, what criteria do you use to classify something as either a headphone or an IEM? I am quite new and still familiarizing myself with some terms. What does bass/treble extension mean? If a headphone/IEM has good bass & treble extensions, does it mean that it covers both ends of the frequency range in good detail? Another thing I would like to know is the difference between soundstage and headstage. I see the term headstage being used less commonly than soundstage.

Lastly, what do you mean when you say that the H3 is and the DN-1000 is not a high-resolution earphone? What main criteria do you use for classifying an earphone as being high-resolution?  Are you referring mainly to the frequency coverage on both ends (treble & bass)? Or are the soundstage, headstage and depth between instruments also part of the criteria?

Thank you so much ericp10!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back