Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Jan 21, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #1,546 of 3,257
Sorry I've never listened to the Philips before. However if you have listened to Sennheiser Momentum before, the Momentums IMO performs much better in all areas compared to the H3, except for bass extension which the H3 goes much deeper.

That is a very interesting affirmation because the Momentums are usually criticised for their lack of soundstage, and very closed presentation.
Is this also the case of the H3?
It is also interesting because the momentums cost the same as the H3. Of course it is IEM vs Full size, but still...
Out of curiosity... Any insight of the H3 vs the Denon AH-D600? :)

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #1,547 of 3,257

You mean they brought in H1 but not H2 and H3? Quite weird since they usually bring in the family sets :p

they never bring the full series to india , it was xba-1 , and xba-3 , now just xba-h1 , i hope xba-h3 will come , but i doubt it .

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #1,548 of 3,257
That is a very interesting affirmation because the Momentums are usually criticised for their lack of soundstage, and very closed presentation.
Is this also the case of the H3?
It is also interesting because the momentums cost the same as the H3. Of course it is IEM vs Full size, but still...
Out of curiosity... Any insight of the H3 vs the Denon AH-D600? :)

I thought the soundstage for the Momentums was not bad for a portable closed can. H3 soundstage is quite wide for an IEM, but I'd still choose the Momentum as the sound is more refine and mature in the bass, mids and treble. H3 to me is like a teenager compared to the adult Momentum.
How much is the H3 and Momentums where you live? The Momentums cost nearly $150 more than the H3 where I'm from.

Sorry can't help you there either, I'm more of an IEM type and have a very limited exposure to full size cans. I've listened to a few, but I only own the Momentums and HD700.

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #1,549 of 3,257
I thought the soundstage for the Momentums was not bad for a portable closed can. H3 soundstage is quite wide for an IEM, but I'd still choose the Momentum as the sound is more refine and mature in the bass, mids and treble. H3 to me is like a teenager compared to the adult Momentum.
How much is the H3 and Momentums where you live? The Momentums cost nearly $150 more than the H3 where I'm from.

Sorry can't help you there either, I'm more of an IEM type and have a very limited exposure to full size cans. I've listened to a few, but I only own the Momentums and HD700.

They both cost 200 euros here. GIve or take 2-3 euros.
I am asking about the H3, because I think owning a pair of decent IEMs is good, because there are ocasions when full size is just not practical.

Since you are more of an IEM person, I am going to ask your opinion on the H3 vs the UE900. :)

Jan 21, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #1,551 of 3,257
It sounds much better than the IE80. I just made a test tonight with Dark Side of the Moon. So much better that the soundstage is not important at all. But sound quality aside, I think the stage is on par.

Jan 21, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #1,552 of 3,257

They both cost 200 euros here. GIve or take 2-3 euros.
I am asking about the H3, because I think owning a pair of decent IEMs is good, because there are ocasions when full size is just not practical.

Since you are more of an IEM person, I am going to ask your opinion on the H3 vs the UE900. :)

Those of you that have heard the H3, how do you describe the soundstage? Is it any spacious or airy? How does it compare to the sennheiser IE80?

Cheers!

Wow thats cheap, thought EU prices are much more expensive.
Sorry, haven't tried the UE900 though i've seen many complains on their poor build quality.

Haven't tried the IE80 but i did try the IE800..
IE800:
bass is more refine, rich and lush
mids is more smooth, lush and intimate
highs fairs better however in the higher range the sound can be thin and frail, especially when you are hearing the cymbals crashing.
Overall more detailed, better clarity, imaging and also more coherent.
Soundstage wise might be slightly wider on the H3, could be wrong on this though.

Jan 21, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #1,553 of 3,257
It sounds much better than the IE80. I just made a test tonight with Dark Side of the Moon. So much better that the soundstage is not important at all. But sound quality aside, I think the stage is on par.

That's encouraging. IE80 was my first pair of head-fi iem's, but in the end it just sounded muddy and boomy to my ears, especially after I tried the EX1000.

Jan 22, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #1,554 of 3,257
Haven't tried the IE80 but i did try the IE800..
IE800:
bass is more refine, rich and lush
mids is more smooth, lush and intimate
highs fairs better however in the higher range the sound can be thin and frail, especially when you are hearing the cymbals crashing.
Overall more detailed, better clarity, imaging and also more coherent.
Soundstage wise might be slightly wider on the H3, could be wrong on this though.

Thanks! I was exactly looking for this comparison. I have IE800 and I'm very interested to know how H3 compares to this. I personally find IE800 to be kinda closed sounding (it is closed in fact, which is not really a problem, but I prefer open sound presentation, like EX1000, IE80, DDM). Soundstage is the only area where IE800 is not perfect to me. 

Jan 22, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #1,556 of 3,257
  Just thought I'd pop the open question...
For the same price (200 Euros), is there a better all-round IEM than the H3?

Cheers!

for half the prices you can get better all rounders like eph-100 , ha-fxt90 , you can consider ma-750 too .

Jan 22, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #1,557 of 3,257
Just thought I'd pop the open question...
For the same price (200 Euros), is there a better all-round IEM than the H3?

Cheers!

I haven't listened to ithis before, but I've heard many good things on Dunu DN1000 :)

Thanks! I was exactly looking for this comparison. I have IE800 and I'm very interested to know how H3 compares to this. I personally find IE800 to be kinda closed sounding (it is closed in fact, which is not really a problem, but I prefer open sound presentation, like EX1000, IE80, DDM). Soundstage is the only area where IE800 is not perfect to me. 

No prob! Though I have to say I think the treble in the higher frequency range for the IE800 quite a turn off. Hearing the way the cymbals sound was quite off putting and sad for the price they are selling these. Other than that they have a lovely intimate sound.

Jan 24, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #1,559 of 3,257
The EX1000 are very neutral with a slight emphasis on the upper treble. This emphasis makes my ears slightly ringing after longer listening at times. It has a very deep and dry bass response and a reasonable soundstage. Th XBA-H3 has a more warmer and fun bass. It has a midbass peak that sounds very good with Pop music and Rock. The mids and treble are very fast and clear, but never uncomfortable. They do not cause my ears ringing. The soundstage is similar to th EX1000.

Jan 24, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #1,560 of 3,257
The EX1000 are very neutral with a slight emphasis on the upper treble. This emphasis makes my ears slightly ringing after longer listening at times. It has a very deep and dry bass response and a reasonable soundstage. Th XBA-H3 has a more warmer and fun bass. It has a midbass peak that sounds very good with Pop music and Rock. The mids and treble are very fast and clear, but never uncomfortable. They do not cause my ears ringing. The soundstage is similar to th EX1000.

This is very enlightening. Thank you.
From what you wrote, I can only conclude that for you, the H3 is a clear upgrade in regard to the venerable EX1000.
For me that is great, because the H3 new is cheaper than the EX1000 used. :)

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back