Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Jan 16, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #1,516 of 3,257
After using the Comply tips on the H3's for the last couple of days, I've gone back to the standard sony hybrid tips. The Comply's just seem to give too heavy of a bass response while cutting the high end a tad. Just comes off as muffled. Everything seemed to just open up with the hybrid tips, and the already strong bass just seemed to tighten up and sound more controlled.

Jan 17, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #1,517 of 3,257
Finally tried the H1, H2, H3 and F886. 

Source: AK100MK2. 

H1 bass is quite bloated and a little loose. Not much control and tightness. Mids are a bit laid back and treble is not apparent at all. I wouldn't pay 150 for this..

H2 does much better. The bass is deeper, tighter and more controlled. Mids is not forward nor too behind. Warm and smooth presentation with little treble response. Definitely better than H1.

H3 has a more apparent treble presence. Bass is as deep, tight and controlled as the H2, though at times It feels that the H2 is slightly better at handling the bass. Mids has a more upper range presence and not as warm as H2. This gives better clarity and details compared to H2. Treble is more apparent and blends well making the H3 more versatile compared to H2.

Overall the H2 and H3 is quite enjoyable. Details and separation is definitely not on par with higher BA types like SE535 or W4R, but for those seeking for a good amount of bass without giving up some of the clarity and details from the higher frequency range, the H3 is not a bad choice. 
However I do find them to be lacking in PRaT when it comes to fast paced songs.

F886 has a really sweet UI. Quite tempted to get 1 just for that reason lol.
Sound wise I didn't find anything standing out compared to the AK100, but considering I only had their sample songs to test out my impression doesn't really count.

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #1,518 of 3,257
^thanks for the impressions. Nice to finally know the contrast between the three H series.

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #1,519 of 3,257
^thanks for the impressions. Nice to finally know the contrast between the three H series.

no problem :)
Out of the 3, the H3 sounds more hybrid-ish compared to the other 2.

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #1,520 of 3,257
Jan 17, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #1,521 of 3,257
Is that bad or good?

well the H series are supposed to be Hybrid... if you enjoy the characteristics of a BA driver type as well as Dynamic for bass, then H3 would be the best choice out of the 3.

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #1,522 of 3,257
Ok, got that. I am always torn between the XBA-H3 and the MDR EX1000. it depends on the mood and also on the music.

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #1,524 of 3,257
You bet, but the H3 is not far away from that.

Jan 17, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #1,525 of 3,257
How's the isolation for the H3s? Do they have any vents for the dynamic driver?

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #1,526 of 3,257
  You bet, but the H3 is not far away from that.

I have many disabilities. Can't take cans or ciem's or iem's intrusive to my ears. I can't even switch to another pair of iem's once I am brain washed (aka, burn-ins) for one specific pair.

For me to switch to another pair of iem's, they have to beat EX1000's bass and treble. While bigger sound stage is welcomed, that doesn't make much difference if my ears don't like the bass and treble.

Still wish to audition the H3 tho.

Jan 18, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #1,527 of 3,257
  How's the isolation for the H3s? Do they have any vents for the dynamic driver?

I found H1 and H2 fit and isolation better than H3, but that would be because their bodies are much smaller.
H3 isolates well if you can get a proper fit.

Jan 20, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #1,528 of 3,257
   after some burn-in , bass is a bit more controlled but is still punchy and boomy , with the comply tips , bass decreases and is even more controlled , and to me , h1 is better then xba-3 , xba-3 against h1 sounds dry more V shaped , and congested , now the cross over is less evident and can stand up-to similarly priced phones . a nice effort from sony , nice sound sig and really fun .

with a longer canal , the bass is less boomy and to those who have some doubts , these can easily do with out an amp .

Jan 20, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #1,529 of 3,257
   after some burn-in , bass is a bit more controlled but is still punchy and boomy , with the comply tips , bass decreases and is even more controlled , and to me , h1 is better then xba-3 , xba-3 against h1 sounds dry more V shaped , and congested , now the cross over is less evident and can stand up-to similarly priced phones . a nice effort from sony , nice sound sig and really fun .

with a longer canal , the bass is less boomy and to those who have some doubts , these can easily do with out an amp .

lol I guess our preference is different. I didn't like H1 and don't think it's worth the retail price. Compared to XBA3 I still feel the XBA 3's SQ outclass the H1 in almost all areas except for bass extension.

Jan 20, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #1,530 of 3,257
lol I guess our preference is different. I didn't like H1 and don't think it's worth the retail price. Compared to XBA3 I still feel the XBA 3's SQ outclass the H1 in almost all areas except for bass extension.

mids ? really ? yes i admit xba-3 is over all , clearer , has better instrument separation and cymbals are better pronounced , h1 is kind of veiled and less dynamic all over the spectrum compared to xba-3 , 3 has better extension at highs , but man , its more V-shaped , and sound stage is a disappointment , what goes for h1 is bass and bass extension , less V-shaped means a bit more forward mids , sound stage and is more lively , more enjoyable , if you are looking from a audiophile's prospective , h1 cant beat xba-3 , but to me , its a winner , miles better cable and a practical and more useable cable clip . mine is more then 60hrs burned with frequency sweeps , did you burned it in ? bass decay is improved and driver crossover is less evident to me , its personal . if xba-3 is 8.7/10 to me , then h1 is not below 8.3 and that is not bad for $90 and i paid $140 for my first xba-3 .
    i like h1 , its nice and fun and less dry .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back