Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Nov 25, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #1,156 of 3,257
Hi there been trying to find reviews for the new sony h3 iem. Is it worth it? Lost my westone 4 and i have 18% off discount for sony products. That works out to be $400( singapore dollars). Thanks

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #1,158 of 3,257
Hi there been trying to find reviews for the new sony h3 iem. Is it worth it? Lost my westone 4 and i have 18% off discount for sony products. That works out to be $400( singapore dollars). Thanks

Depends on your usage and preferred sound signature. The H3 offer less isolation and are less convenient for on the go. And they're significantly bassier than the W4. But apart from that, they're technically at least at eye level with the Westones and have a very impressive out-of-head soundstage with great layering and depth, more like full-sized phones.

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #1,160 of 3,257
  There fantastic!   James,,could you do a comparison with your JH's?  When my review comes out it will  probably  be hopelessly biased....

I don't own any JHs. Or are you talking about the Roxanne demo that should be heading my way soon?

The latter is an easy calculation. The H3s have 3 drivers, but the JHs have 12 drivers. Meaning they'll be 4 times better.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 26, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #1,162 of 3,257
GE graphs of the H1, looks great, similar response to the EQ-5/GR10, but more extended and refined. All they had to do was increase the treble extension with the H3, too bad they decided to tinker....

Nov 26, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #1,164 of 3,257
I've had the pleasure of listening to - in the order of latest to earliest.Sony xba H3, senn ie80, senn ie8, w3, ue super5 eb. If I had to decide on the order of best to the least good the order would be ie80, ie8, w3, Xba H3, 5eb. I am quite sure many including James and Jackson06 would disagree to this looking at their replies to my earlier post. Like many others here I am a fan of Sony's products. I have an xperia z ultra and a sbh52 paired with it. Superb devices both. But I do think that the xba H3 is a bit over rated. My experience with it wasn't that great and ultimately had to send these back. Thanks to the huge soundstage of ie80 I was used to, I found nothing exciting abt the H3. In fact after listening to the H3, I paired the cheapy Sony earphones they send with the sbh52 to my xperia and even those sounded better than the H3, unless amazonUK sent me some fake H3's for 230 quid.

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #1,166 of 3,257
I've had the pleasure of listening to - in the order of latest to earliest.Sony xba H3, senn ie80, senn ie8, w3, ue super5 eb. If I had to decide on the order of best to the least good the order would be ie80, ie8, w3, Xba H3, 5eb. I am quite sure many including James and Jackson06 would disagree to this looking at their replies to my earlier post. Like many others here I am a fan of Sony's products. I have an xperia z ultra and a sbh52 paired with it. Superb devices both. But I do think that the xba H3 is a bit over rated. My experience with it wasn't that great and ultimately had to send these back. Thanks to the huge soundstage of ie80 I was used to, I found nothing exciting abt the H3. In fact after listening to the H3, I paired the cheapy Sony earphones they send with the sbh52 to my xperia and even those sounded better than the H3, unless amazonUK sent me some fake H3's for 230 quid.

IMO Sony is still building their know-how on these BA drivers and high-end IEMs. You can see a clear learning path from the EX90-->EX700-->EX1000-->XBA-4-->XBA-40-->XBA-H3. Not saying they're not good - there are plenty of happy head-fiers. But I always find them to be a little less well-rounded, less of a complete package than say an ER-4, or even products Sony itself is more seasoned with, like the MDR-Z1000.

And yes, the cheap Sony Mobile earphones (MH750) can be surprisingly satisfying. I believe that's Sony's proper prowess of sonic seasoning at work -- the old Sony magical sauce that's been missing from most, if not all of their recent high-end products. I'm not a basshead but I like the XB90EX because it's probably the most Sony-esque of Sony IEMs.

Nov 27, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #1,168 of 3,257
Hi,
I've read the last 40 or so pages of this thread and there seems to be consensus that the XBA H1 and the XBA-3 are similar in quality with slightly different sound characteristics. Some people even like the XBA-1 which seems to have the same BA as the XBA-H1. But no one compared it to the XBA-2.

Which has the better value for money XBA-2 (75$) or XBA H1 (110$) ?

Nov 27, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #1,169 of 3,257

Hmm, but in your earlier post you reported that you had trouble getting the H3 to fit. I just pointed out that this might have influenced your listening impressions.

That said, out of the box I found their bass excess hardly less obnoxious than that of an IE8/IE80. I'd even agree that the Senn's bass comes across as somewhat better integrated with the rest of the sound signature than that of the stock H3. However, upon comparing both the H3 and IE8 with tuned down bass, I think the Sonys are technically superior and I perceive their soundstage as no less impressive than that of the Senns.

One more thing, as I've already mentioned, the H3 seem to benefit from more driving power. This isn't something I've noticed on many IEMs, since my Samsung Galaxy S3 sounds excellent with most phones and adding an amp yields no further improvement. But the H3 really seem to scale with power and (oddly enough) sound subjectively best from my GS Voyager amp, which has the highest output impedance of all my sources.

IMO Sony is still building their know-how on these BA drivers and high-end IEMs. You can see a clear learning path from the EX90-->EX700-->EX1000-->XBA-4-->XBA-40-->XBA-H3. Not saying they're not good - there are plenty of happy head-fiers. But I always find them to be a little less well-rounded, less of a complete package than say an ER-4, or even products Sony itself is more seasoned with, like the MDR-Z1000.

Tbh, I don't see that clear learning path, their dynamic and armature IEMs strike me as very different kind of beasts.

Nov 27, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #1,170 of 3,257
It's unfair to compare the 90 with the H3. IMHO they are both class leaders, but that's £80 verses £300, with appropriate innards diff's as well, and this is confirmed across the parameters of sound. If i didn't know the H3, i'd be very happy for a long time with the 90, it could be said it's the 128kbps king, albeit it the H3 images better. The 90 did a great job with the AK 120, albeit there was ceiling strain, and it will do daily beater duties, never to see the darkness of a drawer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back