Sony XBA-A3 - Impressions Thread
Dec 28, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #346 of 474
i feel that my xba a3 has a thin bass, it has no body, what should i do about this, i felt this since i burnt my xba a3. does anyone have suggestion? i use white noise, pink noise method.

What is your source? Make sure you're getting a good seal. I prefer the included foam hybrid tips.

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #352 of 474
i feel that my xba a3 has a thin bass, it has no body, what should i do about this, i felt this since i burnt my xba a3. does anyone have suggestion? i use white noise, pink noise method.

That was definitely not my experience.  Make sure you have a good seal and decent source equipment.

Jan 7, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #354 of 474
Has anyone got the muc-m12sm2 upgrade cable? I have the older muc-m12sm1 cable and was wondering if the new upgraded design (smaller connectors) is better with the XBA-A3?

Jan 21, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #355 of 474
Just picked these up used from a seller on eBay. Coming from several Audio Technica iem's I have to say that I'm glad I made the switch.

Before these I've owned, ath-ck10, ath-im03, dba-02, and a couple other lower end Sony ear buds.

I sold the im03 headphones because in my opinion they were too analytical and cold, while lacking bass. They were also uncomfortable after a couple hours of listening, and were a bit too harsh or bright for my ears. I mostly enjoy listening to Pink Floyd, and even for songs like those, the im03 were too bright (fatiguing and painful sibilance at times) and did not have sufficient bass.

After reading about these xba-a3 from Sony, they sounded just like what I wanted. I like the bass available from drivers, but love the detailed treble from balanced armatures, so when I found out that there were hybrid iem's it sounded like they would have the best of both worlds.

Hearing then now for the first time listening to one of my favorite songs, shine on you crazy diamond, and echoes, my immediate impression is just wow. When I first got my im03 I wasn't particularly impressed right off the bat, and subconsciously I knew I'd be selling them, which I wound up doing. These however, [xba-a3] are amazing.

The sound stage is expensive, if I close my eyes it feels like I'm in a giant concert hall; the bass is plentiful, tight, and controlled. The highs and mids are slightly recessed but very detailed and watery as expected from balanced armatures. Exactly the sound signature I was looking for. They're also very comfortable and with the smallest tips included fit perfectly. One note is that you will need FLAC or other high bit rate music as they're exposing flaws in the recordings.

I can see wearing these for hours without pain or fatigue.

The wires are admittedly thin, however they're very flexible and rubbery and the over the ear pieces are also very soft and comfortable. The wires themselves are very high quality, and while they don't look like they could take a lot of abuse, are so soft and thin that they're barely noticeable. Very refined.

They look great, sound amazing, and are comfortable. I think I've converted from Audio Technica over to Sony. The reviewers are right, these are extremely under rated and for the price are excellent.

Edit, two days later, all I can say is that Sony has made a masterpiece with these earbuds... The bass alone compare to the im-03's is enough, but their incredible soundstage and crisp, detailed mids and highs... I want to buy a second pair just in case these ever break...

Jan 23, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #356 of 474
Edit, two days later, all I can say is that Sony has made a masterpiece with these earbuds... The bass alone compare to the im-03's is enough, but their incredible soundstage and crisp, detailed mids and highs... I want to buy a second pair just in case these ever break...

Yes, the A3 are truly intriguing IEMs, and I'm a veritable fan of them. But before buying a second pair, I'd recommend also listening to the Sony XBA-N3AP. These have an even more controlled and lower reaching bass fundament that is in quantity and quality comparable to the A3. Plus, they offer much more natural and refined sounding mids and trebles than the A3. Trebles are still fast and sparkling, but because their dynamic driver is now a full-range driver, the N3AP completely omit the metallic BA sounds and tingle that now sometimes bother me when listening to the A3 again.

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #357 of 474
Just picked these up used from a seller on eBay. Coming from several Audio Technica iem's I have to say that I'm glad I made the switch.

Before these I've owned, ath-ck10, ath-im03, dba-02, and a couple other lower end Sony ear buds.

I sold the im03 headphones because in my opinion they were too analytical and cold, while lacking bass. They were also uncomfortable after a couple hours of listening, and were a bit too harsh or bright for my ears. I mostly enjoy listening to Pink Floyd, and even for songs like those, the im03 were too bright (fatiguing and painful sibilance at times) and did not have sufficient bass.

After reading about these xba-a3 from Sony, they sounded just like what I wanted. I like the bass available from drivers, but love the detailed treble from balanced armatures, so when I found out that there were hybrid iem's it sounded like they would have the best of both worlds.

Hearing then now for the first time listening to one of my favorite songs, shine on you crazy diamond, and echoes, my immediate impression is just wow. When I first got my im03 I wasn't particularly impressed right off the bat, and subconsciously I knew I'd be selling them, which I wound up doing. These however, [xba-a3] are amazing.

The sound stage is expensive, if I close my eyes it feels like I'm in a giant concert hall; the bass is plentiful, tight, and controlled. The highs and mids are slightly recessed but very detailed and watery as expected from balanced armatures. Exactly the sound signature I was looking for. They're also very comfortable and with the smallest tips included fit perfectly. One note is that you will need FLAC or other high bit rate music as they're exposing flaws in the recordings.

I can see wearing these for hours without pain or fatigue.

The wires are admittedly thin, however they're very flexible and rubbery and the over the ear pieces are also very soft and comfortable. The wires themselves are very high quality, and while they don't look like they could take a lot of abuse, are so soft and thin that they're barely noticeable. Very refined.

They look great, sound amazing, and are comfortable. I think I've converted from Audio Technica over to Sony. The reviewers are right, these are extremely under rated and for the price are excellent.

Glad you pulled the trigger on these iem's.  They're often overlooked, especially as they're aging out of consumer awareness.  I fully agree with your assessment, they are really special, particularly in reference to soundstage.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back