Sony XBA-A3 - Impressions Thread
Sep 10, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #406 of 474
Can anyone recommend a good enough, not too expensive replacement cable that'd fit in the sony's socket? I kinda want to preserve the original cable, as the mic one already kaput.
preferably ones i can buy off Aliexpress due to limitation on payment method
thanks.

Sep 10, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #407 of 474
MUC-M12SM2 if it fits your budget. It's an excellent upgrade cable. Noticeable improvement on highs and mids and soundstage

Can anyone recommend a good enough, not too expensive replacement cable that'd fit in the sony's socket? I kinda want to preserve the original cable, as the mic one already kaput.
preferably ones i can buy off Aliexpress due to limitation on payment method
thanks.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #408 of 474
actually, no not at the moment, that's a bit too high for me... (bought mine used), actually, for cheaper, i can get a Re:Cord cable, which looks and sounds fine (demoed it) but still sold very close at the price I bought the IEM at...
MMCX-S-1.jpg

Or, took a gander and see DIY option from this
443808_39c2184d-9ca0-4b40-af01-67fa0fe8671b_1024_768.jpg

you guys think it'd be fine?

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #409 of 474
I've been using these with the ZX100 and am tempted by the ZX300 - has anyone tried the A3 with a balanced cable/dap?

Apr 11, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #410 of 474
Are people still listening to their A3? I thought the Z5 would be an upgrade but I enjoyed my A3 more - as much as I enjoy bass I felt the Z5 was a bit too bassy overall and that the treble end was a bit overwhelmed by it.
What iems have A3 owners moved on to?

Apr 11, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #411 of 474
Are people still listening to their A3? I thought the Z5 would be an upgrade but I enjoyed my A3 more - as much as I enjoy bass I felt the Z5 was a bit too bassy overall and that the treble end was a bit overwhelmed by it.
I do, but change mine with balance cable to pair it with my wm1a. The only problem is that it not over the ear anymore and so can only be use while walking. But I like the SQ better than my IT03 so that says something.

Apr 12, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #412 of 474
I do, but change mine with balance cable to pair it with my wm1a. The only problem is that it not over the ear anymore and so can only be use while walking. But I like the SQ better than my IT03 so that says something.

I was actually going to say the it03 would be something to consider for something more exciting. The highs are just a but harsh in comparison. The new it04 could be nice.

Honestly, the xba a2 are pretty darn good if you want more bass. Not as refined but it's not night and day. It's been my go to for a while.

Apr 12, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #413 of 474
I have the Sony MUC-B12NB1 balanced cable that I use with my ZX300 - I find I can still use it over ear.
After a couple of years I am still quite satisfied, but you know how it goes, can't help but look for something better. I thought the Z5 was an easy choice but like I said I felt that the A3 has a more balanced sound than the Z5, giving a nice low end with its decent sub bass and punchy kick drum, yet a fairly detailed high end that I've never has fatigued me.
I think the Campfire Polaris has a similar signature from memory, but it is alot more.

Apr 12, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #414 of 474
I was actually going to say the it03 would be something to consider for something more exciting. The highs are just a but harsh in comparison. The new it04 could be nice.

Honestly, the xba a2 are pretty darn good if you want more bass. Not as refined but it's not night and day. It's been my go to for a while.
Same observation as you, I find IT03 with harsh highs sometimes. Maybe it was resolved in IT04.

Apr 12, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #415 of 474
I have the Sony MUC-B12NB1 balanced cable that I use with my ZX300 - I find I can still use it over ear.
After a couple of years I am still quite satisfied, but you know how it goes, can't help but look for something better. I thought the Z5 was an easy choice but like I said I felt that the A3 has a more balanced sound than the Z5, giving a nice low end with its decent sub bass and punchy kick drum, yet a fairly detailed high end that I've never has fatigued me.
I think the Campfire Polaris has a similar signature from memory, but it is alot more.
Yes that is the good thing with A3, it is very balance and no harsh whatsoever. It is non fatiguing, I usually listened to it 10 hours in a day. The challenge sometimes is the fit as it is extended in design, the reason I planning to get the N3BP in the future.

Apr 12, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #416 of 474
Yes that is the good thing with A3, it is very balance and no harsh whatsoever. It is non fatiguing, I usually listened to it 10 hours in a day. The challenge sometimes is the fit as it is extended in design, the reason I planning to get the N3BP in the future.
I've had mostly success with the fit, but recently I'm having to constantly readjust, that is another reason I'm looking for something else.
I tried the N3 (unbalanced) when it first came out, and it sounds really good, but I decided that I preferred the A3. Definitely a nicer fit than the A3.
I will have to read up on those IT04. I tried some in Japan with a similar design, they are quite big, but the earhooks can keep them in place once you get the tips right. There are so many factors to consider.

Apr 12, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #417 of 474
I've had mostly success with the fit, but recently I'm having to constantly readjust, that is another reason I'm looking for something else.
I tried the N3 (unbalanced) when it first came out, and it sounds really good, but I decided that I preferred the A3. Definitely a nicer fit than the A3.
I will have to read up on those IT04. I tried some in Japan with a similar design, they are quite big, but the earhooks can keep them in place once you get the tips right. There are so many factors to consider.
Is the N3 any good? How did it compare sound wise? The fit on the A3 is not great, like many other sony that use this design.

The A2 comes with no memory cable so it is much easier to handle over the ear or straight down. If you can find another cable for the A3 it could help.

Apr 12, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #418 of 474
Is the N3 any good? How did it compare sound wise? The fit on the A3 is not great, like many other sony that use this design.

The A2 comes with no memory cable so it is much easier to handle over the ear or straight down. If you can find another cable for the A3 it could help.
I'm not confident to describe the sound to you. It has great bass, but further listening made me think that the A3's dynamic 16mm driver was better overall. It perhaps has a bit more forward mids. I liked the sound alot, and the design is much better than the A3, but in the end I felt that the A3 was maybe a slightly better quality sound to my ears.
I recommend you to read the N3 thread and I'm sure that there will be better descriptions and comparisons there for you.

Jun 15, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #419 of 474
A few questions about these phones:

1. How harsh is the treble on these? Is it well controlled?

2. Would Shure Olives work with these?

3. How's the synergy with an AK Kann or DP-X1?

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #420 of 474
Just received my Custom Cable for my XBA-A3 yesterday and did some testing. Here's the result.

4-Braided Litz Copper Custom Cable

First of all, I think the biggest point goes to the looks and feel of this cable. Material feels much more solid and sturdy. (Also, no more black alien-looking tube sticking out of the ear!) I really like how Sony implement the over-the-ear hook for the comfort-fitting and also the non-tangle cable but the material feels a little cheap, lengthy, and the hook looks sort of weird.

Without the stock hooks now, I can store the IEM effortlessly without bending the hooks accidentally(which can get messy). Bought myself a 3rd Party Over-The-Ear Guide and it works like a charm. For the fitting I think both stands on equal term, equally comfortable(as if nothing's there). Sony's really done a great job with the over-the-ear hooks fitting and comfort I have to say.

Sound quality, yes! To my ears, the sound opens up even more now. Sound-stage feels bigger, airier, and also slightly better detailing. Overall experience is somewhat more smoother, relaxed and pleasant to listen to.
I know it's a while ago now, but where did you get those ear hooks from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back