Sony XBA-A3 - Impressions Thread
Jul 15, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #391 of 474
Just got this yesterday. While I love the sound out of the box I had a hard time finding the right positioning in my ear at first because of the oddly shaped housing. Glad I checked here and saw some examples. The cables that comes with it are ok I guess.
You'll get use to the housing eventually. I'm getting the Sony XBA-A3 myself in September.

Jul 15, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #392 of 474
I was concerned about the shape/style of them but after finding the right position have no problems in having them stay in my ears. Before these I had the Sennheiser IE80 which sit flat in your ear, but regardless of tips they just wouldn't stay put.

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #394 of 474
Agree, despite the big size of its housing, after getting used to it and finding the perfect tips for it (Hybrid and Spinfit is the best for these IMO) it became a very comfortable IEM, 2nd only to my much smaller IM50 that I've gotten used to using so much it basically disappear in my ear, the A3's big housing and a bit fussy earguide make it not as comfortable, less versatile and convenient for daily driver usage, but for the sound quality you got out of it, it's more than worth it IMO :)

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #395 of 474
was curious, do any of you find the A3 sibilant? I ask because I'm at that age where I have some high freq loss and I noticed that the A3 have incredible upper end detail, which I love. These are still one of my absolute favorites IEMS -- clear, fast, impactful bass, great mids, fantastic upper extension and a soundstage rarely rivaled by IEMs. Still an awesome set of IEMs!

Jul 27, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #396 of 474
was curious, do any of you find the A3 sibilant? I ask because I'm at that age where I have some high freq loss and I noticed that the A3 have incredible upper end detail, which I love. These are still one of my absolute favorites IEMS -- clear, fast, impactful bass, great mids, fantastic upper extension and a soundstage rarely rivaled by IEMs. Still an awesome set of IEMs!
I found them to be slightly sibilant perhaps the better term is sparkle

Jul 27, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #397 of 474
I found them to be slightly sibilant perhaps the better term is sparkle

Ah, thanks for the response. Good to know.Typically when I hear this much clarity and "sparkle" in the high end, the IEM is sibilant by a majority of the younger listeners.

I still ponder a z5 purchase every time you chime in... :) The decision would be a "no brainer" if I didn't already have a the A3.

Jul 27, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #398 of 474
One thing I don't like about the a3 is cable that comes with it. My tennmak pro mmcx works pretty and probably gonna stick with it.
20170728_025736[1].jpg

Jul 27, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #399 of 474
One thing I don't like about the a3 is cable that comes with it. My tennmak pro mmcx works pretty and probably gonna stick with it.
Nice! When I first got the A3's, the cable did present a bit of a challenge, not so much in comfort but it was affecting my tip choices in achieving a good seal. I think I'll pick up a tennmak cable when I'm on aliexpress next.

Aug 2, 2017 at 6:04 AM Post #401 of 474
Has anyone here tried the upgrade cable MUC-M12SM2? How does it sound? Does it make a good improvement over the stock cables?
I have the original MUC-M12SM1 - I find it to be a noticeable improvement over the stock cable. I always thought people were imagining things when talking about cable upgrades, but there were definite improvements for me

Aug 3, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #402 of 474
I posted this in the Kinera H3 thread, but thought it would be an interesting thought to post here too just out of interest and in case different people read different tread so different responses :)

I have read through all the posts for both the Sony XBA A3s and the Kinera H3s, and havent come up with the answer...just wondering how something like the Kineras would compare to something like the Sony A3s?

Are they totally in a different league or are the China made iems catching up to the tried and true brands?

Any thoughts appreciated! I'm looking to get into the hybrid scene but would be interested in know where everything is at!

Thanks and sorry if this has been asked before!

Aug 5, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #404 of 474
Has anyone here tried the upgrade cable MUC-M12SM2? How does it sound? Does it make a good improvement over the stock cables?

I've imported this cable from Japan and couldn't be happier. Not only does the higher quality braided cable give the headphones a more refined look they deserve but also the SQ improved imho

Users who are viewing this thread

Back