Sony XBA-300 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 31, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #106 of 326
So I have gotten myself the XBA-300AP from Sony Style KLCC, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
I find the bass to be punchy, tight and fast although the lowest frequencies for the bass section suffered and is pretty weak. This could be caused by not having a super woofer driver for the XBA300AP. The mids and vocals performed amazingly as usual with very in depth clarity and better controlled compared to my old XBA-1. I think that the treble is the star for this iem just because of the new HD Super Tweeters installed. For every song that I've listened to, the treble section and the highest frequency snaps and ticks sounded spectacular.  The HD Super Tweeters provided so much more clarity compared to a normal tweeter while controlling the treble and not producing treble sounds that are too sharp. In conclusion, I think that these earphones will perform very well for all genres, they might sound a bit bright but handled every sound section nicely except the deepest lows and would appeal to any treble heads out there.
I bought these for RM810 after a RM90 discount for being a Sony member.

Nov 1, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #107 of 326
Did you manage to compare it with any other IEMs in the Sony store? The XBA-A3 perhaps?

Nov 1, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #108 of 326
Yes, the difference between these will be the bass section, with the A3 using a dynamic driver, it offered strong bass punch across the all bass frequencies while the 300ap lacked in terms of the deppest bass section. Imo, the bass for the A3 is too strong and I prefer the lighter and punchy bass from the 300ap.

Nov 1, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #110 of 326
Nov 1, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #111 of 326
After my initial test with only a good few hours the results were kind of different than my testing at the Sony center in Hong Kong about a two weeks ago, probably the reason behind it was the environment and the differences between the AP version and non AP version.

As I previously mention that the XBA 300AP was a little weak on bass, somehow the bass was acceptable on my pair, treble was good and precise,and sharp, all the details were there, the iem can pin point the finest details, this is probably the advantage of using BA drives, along with good vocal, although I do prefer dynamic with vocal, with the in store test the XBA 300AP has to be turn up to about 65-70% for a acceptable loudness, whiles with my non AP version, around 50-55% was my acceptable level.

upto now i will consider it to be good pair of IEM, even against my EX600 and EX800, whiles I do like my ex series better for vocals, but on the move, the XBA 300 is much better and more comfortable to wear.

My XBA 3 does not come close to these, highly recommended. 

Nov 1, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #112 of 326
  After my initial test with only a good few hours the results were kind of different than my testing at the Sony center in Hong Kong about a two weeks ago, probably the reason behind it was the environment and the differences between the AP version and non AP version.

As I previously mention that the XBA 300AP was a little weak on bass, somehow the bass was acceptable on my pair, treble was good and precise,and sharp, all the details were there, the iem can pin point the finest details, this is probably the advantage of using BA drives, along with good vocal, although I do prefer dynamic with vocal, with the in store test the XBA 300AP has to be turn up to about 65-70% for a acceptable loudness, whiles with my non AP version, around 50-55% was my acceptable level.

upto now i will consider it to be good pair of IEM, even against my EX600 and EX800, whiles I do like my ex series better for vocals, but on the move, the XBA 300 is much better and more comfortable to wear.

My XBA 3 does not come close to these, highly recommended. 

Nice impression! Thanks!

Nov 1, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #113 of 326
Great impression everyone. How would everyone rate the wind and cable noise on the XBA-300? I have the EX-800ST which has quite dismal wind noise and the housing on these looks equally large.

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #114 of 326
Great impression everyone. How would everyone rate the wind and cable noise on the XBA-300? I have the EX-800ST which has quite dismal wind noise and the housing on these looks equally large.

I don't get much wind noise, but on the move, you do hear the cable move, not too sure if that is what you mean, it does happen with all my Sony range from EX600, EX800, XBA 3 and EX 510.

The actual unit size of the XBA 300 looks big, well long, but it's actually small and very lite, even when compared to the EX800.

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #115 of 326
I don't get much wind noise, but on the move, you do hear the cable move, not too sure if that is what you mean, it does happen with all my Sony range from EX600, EX800, XBA 3 and EX 510.

The actual unit size of the XBA 300 looks big, well long, but it's actually small and very lite, even when compared to the EX800.

Cheers for the reply, I find the noise from wind blowing across the EX800 pretty bad due to its large size so that's good to hear. But I wonder why they didn't go for an over ear style like the EX series, A3 or Z5, would have been much better for comfort and cable noise.

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #116 of 326

Cheers for the reply, I find the noise from wind blowing across the EX800 pretty bad due to its large size so that's good to hear. But I wonder why they didn't go for an over ear style like the EX series, A3 or Z5, would have been much better for comfort and cable noise.

May be Sony considered it to be a very lite unit, and doesn't need this, although I may purchase a custom cable with a loop that goes over the ears, but you will have to wear the iem upside down.

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #117 of 326

I put on the provided shirt clip at it reduced a substantial amount of cable noise. :D

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #118 of 326

I put on the provided shirt clip at it reduced a substantial amount of cable noise. :D

Thanks, I never though of that, I never use the accessories much.

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #119 of 326
Yes, the difference between these will be the bass section, with the A3 using a dynamic driver, it offered strong bass punch across the all bass frequencies while the 300ap lacked in terms of the deppest bass section. Imo, the bass for the A3 is too strong and I prefer the lighter and punchy bass from the 300ap.

Haha yup that's how I remembered it. Sony could not resist showing off what their dynamic driver bass is like. Used to own the H3, excellent bass, but bled too much into the mids.

Nov 2, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #120 of 326
Haha yup that's how I remembered it. Sony could not resist showing off what their dynamic driver bass is like. Used to own the H3, excellent bass, but bled too much into the mids.

the A3 bass (i also owned XBA-H3) Does not bleed into the mids

Users who are viewing this thread

Back