Sony XBA-100 thread
Nov 4, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #46 of 83

" thank you thank you thank you , you are far too kaaind " seriously thank you . i was wondering how these new BAs will sound like , they call it like linear something something , a new design .
can you vice us the impressions of A1AP or A2 many be ? im being greedy .

Haven't heard the XBA-A series yet.

Good to know. I have an xba-10 and I'm looking for an upgrade. How about the audio technica im70 vs xba-10/xba-100 ? Can you recommend me an upgrade? I'm looking for the same sound signature as the xba-10 (slightly mid centric but warmish sound). It should have a great soundstage and better overall sound quality. My budget is limited to $130.

The two IEM (Havi B3 Pro-1 and Zero Audio DX200) in your budget that I know to have better clarity and soundstage are both on the colder side of the presentation, so I am not sure they will be what you are looking for. I'll recommend Ostry KC06A instead - slightly smaller in soundstage, but more room filling detail. You will surprised how much detail you have missed out in XBA-10. So even though you get a smaller image, the detail is going to be much sharper and noticeable. The difference is like looking at a 5MP picture taken by a 3MP camera vs. a 3MP picture taken by a 5MP camera. iM70 in comparison will be very similar to KC06A, but in a lesser form - so it will better just to get KC06A instead.

Nov 4, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #47 of 83
small soundstage killed it for me. I came to a conclusion that a big soundstage with correct positioning is the most important aspect in sound for me so these won't be for me it seems... thanks for the impressions though, they really helped :)

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #48 of 83
The two IEM (Havi B3 Pro-1 and Zero Audio DX200) in your budget that I know to have better clarity and soundstage are both on the colder side of the presentation, so I am not sure they will be what you are looking for. I'll recommend Ostry KC06A instead - slightly smaller in soundstage, but more room filling detail. You will surprised how much detail you have missed out in XBA-10. So even though you get a smaller image, the detail is going to be much sharper and noticeable. The difference is like looking at a 5MP picture taken by a 3MP camera vs. a 3MP picture taken by a 5MP camera. iM70 in comparison will be very similar to KC06A, but in a lesser form - so it will better just to get KC06A instead.

I'll try to look for the kc06a then. So, the im70 is a good alternative for kc06a? Isn't the fit on the kc06a is shallow compared to xba-10?

What do you mean by "colder side of things"? You mean leaning towards bassy sound?

Nov 5, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #49 of 83
"The retail price is 9,999 JPY, however you can find it for 8,500 JPY and given the Sony xba line history, I think in some months it can achieve the 7,000 JPY mark."

8,500 yen =$74.56.     7,000 yen= $61.40

Given the history of the XBA line, some might be expecting this to eventually get to $25 as the XBA-1 did. I might be willing to pay up to around $45 for this, but that is about it. I can't see paying over $50 for this. 

When I first saw the XBA-1 and the price was $80 firm, I said that I might buy it at under $50. I ended up buying the XBA-1 at $25. It is good for $25, although if I paid $50 for it I would probably be disappointed.

Nov 5, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #50 of 83
I'll try to look for the kc06a then. So, the im70 is a good alternative for kc06a? Isn't the fit on the kc06a is shallow compared to xba-10?

What do you mean by "colder side of things"? You mean leaning towards bassy sound?

KC06A fits about as shallow as XBA-10, at least for me. Of course you can push XBA-10 deeper if wanted. IM70 is a good alternative only if KC06A can't be found.

By 'colder', I mean leaner and more neutral, opposite of warm / bassy.

Dec 5, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #53 of 83
As expected, high distortion and low bandwidth. A single BA just can't cover everything

They measure distortion at 1 mW, which is 105 dB with this IEM. You won't ever listen this loud-
It'd be better if they could measure THD at 90dB or so. Would make more sense.

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #54 of 83
They measure distortion at 1 mW, which is 105 dB with this IEM. You won't ever listen this loud-
It'd be better if they could measure THD at 90dB or so. Would make more sense.

I agree that measuring distortion at 1 mW is too high but that's the standard that site measures with, and if you look at well designed multi-BA or high end single dynamic driver models measured in the same fashion, they don't have as much distortion.

With that being said, however, the XBA-100 is probably less distorting than its predecessors the XBA-10 and XBA-1, and that's at least an improvement.

I listened to the new XBA-100 and found it quite enjoyable, though I did detect some distortion, right around where it was measured the highest (they didn't publish the measurements yet when I listened), so the distortion is indeed audible, but somewhat minor.

Dec 10, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #55 of 83
How about these vs ATH-IM70? They are about the same price but the XBA-100 seems more inclined towards highs and vocals, which seems good to me. I always turn the treble up on my players (at least higher than bass). I don't like it punchy or booming at all. The IM70 on the other hand are highly praised everywhere, maybe they are a safe bet. But these also look better and smaller, more comfy perhaps?

Mar 30, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #57 of 83
As expected, high distortion and low bandwidth. A single BA just can't cover everything

Still less than havi's
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 29, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #58 of 83
I wonder... Is it true that the Sound sig is kinda similar to Grado house sound? If true, it'd be great, but if not, what IEM is?

Oct 30, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #59 of 83
Just got these today - Pretty spectacular little things. The brass is great, nice and weighty without being too heavy, strain reliefs are great, cable is a little bit microphonic but the included clip and over-ear wearability counteracts that enough.

SQ wise, I like them. Really clear, instrument separation is top notch. Bass extends low, hits decently but obviously not boomy. Was worried before these came in that they'd be bass-anemic but no worries now.

Loving these for rock/jazz/trance. For $80, I think they're pretty worth it.

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #60 of 83
Just decided to order these... when it arrived, I'll have an IEM for every situations, Final for female vocal heavy-JPop, IM50 for daily and XBA 100 for occasional OST's when I want to relax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back