Sony XBA-1 reviews?
Feb 3, 2012 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

JK1

Headphoneus Supremus
Everyone wants to take preorders for this at full price, yet it is hard to find any decent reviews of it. I guess I might want to buy it at some point if the reviews are good, and it is discounted to $50 or less. I won't chase after it at $80.

Feb 3, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #2 of 36
I think I may get it since it seems the most balanced of the lineup but will wait a bit. Should fall to like 60$ with time just at the 510 did with a similar msrp. 

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 36
I've had a pair since around Christmas time and they've become my favorite iem.  Of course I do prefer a more analytical sound, but I find them to be perfectly balanced.  Originally I thought that if I liked the XBA-1 I might make the 3 my first multi-driver iem, but I like the sound so much that I think adding more drivers would just screw it up for me.  I wouldn't pre-order though as prices will almost certainly be lower once they're actually released.

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #6 of 36
Hmm, is this for real?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-XBA-1SL-Balanced-Armature-Earphones-Black-Brand-New-/110818684831?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item19cd4eef9f

Feb 4, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #7 of 36
Yeah but no warranty. With time, they'll far for 45$-50$ for the SL here in the US. That's how much the 310 is now and it has the same msrp. It's the reason why it's so cheap on that listing. 

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #10 of 36
Found you guys a review of these earbuds. Saw them at a Sony store in the mall today and became interested. It is too bad that I just picked up a pair of UE600Vi because I like the Apple buttons/remote location, the jack, and the cables on these better.

Also, I've been using Headroom for F/R graphs and other measurements and just now found Golden Ears, any others I should know about?

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #11 of 36
I still haven't found it at a decent price. My limit is $55.

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #12 of 36
It was rather dark and warm from my portables. (iriver e30 and ipod nano 6th)

But xba-1 sounds completely different when using my usb dac headamp. female vocals comes alive and the sound signature turns to airy.

However, I am not sure what sony intended the sound signature to be though......

After some investigation into this. I found out it is the nature of BA iem, they can a massive difference in impedence depending on frequency.

Apr 4, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #13 of 36

Quote:
It was rather dark and warm from my portables. (iriver e30 and ipod nano 6th)

But xba-1 sounds completely different when using my usb dac headamp. female vocals comes alive and the sound signature turns to airy.

However, I am not sure what sony intended the sound signature to be though......

After some investigation into this. I found out it is the nature of BA iem, they can a massive difference in impedence depending on frequency.

Agree about it sounding dark for portable players. I do find it a little cold, but then again, it's the warmest of all the XBAs

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #14 of 36
Quote:
Found you guys a review of these earbuds. Saw them at a Sony store in the mall today and became interested. It is too bad that I just picked up a pair of UE600Vi because I like the Apple buttons/remote location, the jack, and the cables on these better.

Also, I've been using Headroom for F/R graphs and other measurements and just now found Golden Ears, any others I should know about?

There's also SONOVE and Tyll with his InnerFidelity site.

Those Golden Ears measurements look nice with XBA-1, except for the bass falloff at the extremes, the lack of 10+ kHz airiness, and the lack of a ~1-2 kHz boost that every in-ear needs because of the lack of outer ear amplification.

I quite like my own pair. It's no giant killer, but is a respectable performer, and is very comfortable in my ears. I only dislike the J-cord.

Quote:
  I still haven't found it at a decent price. My limit is $55.

That won't happen anytime soon. I bought mine at ~$72 (tax, etc. included) here in Taiwan.

Apr 5, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #15 of 36
Would you guys recommend these?
I was thinking about getting the DUNU tridents. Saw these armature earphones and are considering them now.
WHat should i get :S?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back