Sony XB700s Really Take the Cake
Oct 12, 2010 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kesslerjesus

100+ Head-Fier
And this is coming from someone that uses neutral headphones to constantly monitor, track and mix music. My current collection includes DT770s, ATH-M50s, HFI-450s and Proline 2500s, and through the last two years I have owned Sony V6s, V600s, V900s,  7506s, 7509s, Senn HD280s, Shure SRH 440s, 880s, and ATH-M40s . I actually only purchased the XB700s because I had a $35 coupon from ebay and an NYC store was selling them for around the same price (refurbished of course, although they recently pushed their prices up).

I can not even begin to describe how well these headphones handle the low-end in music, and although many reviews state that the low end drowns out the mids and highs, they say so because they probably aren't using a good DAC. That is where these headphones truly shine. I use an RME ADI-2 to listen to music --i like uncolored sound-- and these headphones really shine when driven anywhere past 9pm on the volume dial. I recently compared bass-heavy music through my headphones, and actually preferred the sound of the xb700s, with the Proline 2500s and M50s falling into 2nd and 3rd place (I was actually expecting the dt770s to take the cake, but it wasn't the case). The xb700s handled bass like champs, even when I turned the volume knob to and past 3pm, something almost none of the other headphones could handle.

Of course, I won't be mixing music or tracking through the sony headphones anytime soon, but if you're looking for a headphone that just does NOT distort when pushed past the limits of many other cans and keeps a musical balance between lows, mids and highs, while having HUGE DEPTH, give these headphones a try. But keep in mind that contrary to many reviews, these are open design headphones that do leak considerable amounts of sound.

Oct 12, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #2 of 7
I miss my XB700's.
frown.gif

I really loved them, and the only reason I sold them was because someone was willing to buy them, I didn't even need the money at the time. I might have to buy them back...

Oct 12, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 7
Same here. Fave headphone for music. PERIOD. I miss them so much. I just wish the stitching in the pads didn't wreck the side of my head.

Oct 12, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #5 of 7
Finally some more praise for these headphones. Hearing the deep rumble in music adds a completely new layer of sound while not obstructing other frequencies. I think a lot of people get the wrong idea by looking at these cans and deciding that they have horrible sound quality. Don't judge a book by its cover, try the XB700 before you knock it.

Oct 12, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
Same here. Fave headphone for music. PERIOD. I miss them so much. I just wish the stitching in the pads didn't wreck the side of my head.

Sad you had to let them go. I heard about the stitching in the pads becoming a possible future problem because of the way they are made. Around how much wear/tear did you put into the headphones before they became rough on your head? So far I've had them for 2 weeks, and use them everyday for listening to music, but I'm hoping I can use these as much as possible before anything bad happens. They are very snugly, like newborn hybrid tire-pillow babies on your ears.

Quote:
Finally some more praise for these headphones. Hearing the deep rumble in music adds a completely new layer of sound while not obstructing other frequencies. I think a lot of people get the wrong idea by looking at these cans and deciding that they have horrible sound quality. Don't judge a book by its cover, try the XB700 before you knock it.

I was one of the people. I love balanced stereo imaging and uncolored sound, and actually tried these headphones out of pure curiosity. These are now my go-to favorite headphones for everyday listening
smily_headphones1.gif
they're just musical and fun to listen to.

Oct 15, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Sad you had to let them go. I heard about the stitching in the pads becoming a possible future problem because of the way they are made. Around how much wear/tear did you put into the headphones before they became rough on your head? So far I've had them for 2 weeks, and use them everyday for listening to music, but I'm hoping I can use these as much as possible before anything bad happens. They are very snugly, like newborn hybrid tire-pillow babies on your ears.

If you don't have a problem with them yet, you're fine. I had a problem with the stitching since the 2nd day. It really becomes an issue after the pads warm up and make my skin sensitive. No matter how pillowy soft the pads are, I can feel the stitching as soon as my skin is hot from the pads. This saddened me deeply.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back