Sony X Series Walkman, COWON S9, Apple iPod touch 2G, SanDisk Sansa Fuze Impressions with the Shure E500 / SE530
Nov 24, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #241 of 278
Buckster, if you have the 3G Touch (32/64GB), get the T3 to amp it and you will be very happy. If not, go the whole hog and get the X.

Listening to my Classic via the T3, amped straight from the HP out, I am a lot happier with its overall performance, particularly improved bass impact. I dont use any form of EQ on the Classic, but the gain on the T3 will give you a mild, yet worthwhile, 'bass boost'.

Nov 25, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #243 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by techfreakazoid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It appears that Sony only specifies the X's output at 5 + 5 mW, while Cowon rates the S9 at 29 + 29 mW (16 ohm).

I've seen a Japanese interview with a Sony exec saying that Sony always "cap" their players at 5+5mW@16ohm for volume reasons. (I know, whatever~~)

Nov 25, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #245 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would I get better SQ forking out for a X1060...

yes

My iPod touch 3rd Gen connected to a PIMETA couldn't match the Sony through it's headphone port. It wasn't even close.

Nov 26, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #246 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to just about any genre from classic - hip/rap - techno/trace - metal - pop to rock, etc but recently it's mostly ambient and trance for workout. The X and JH13 combo makes just about anything sound so marvelous and enjoyable. Perhaps, I could make S9 to work with JH13 just as good but I am too lazy to mess around with its sound settings.

Haha, I hear you. Some days you want to plug in your phones and just enjoy the music.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've asked this before (a good few months ago) - but I'll always keep my touch for its additional functionality - and as a music player its OK - but not great - some stuff like easy listening vocal (4 singers or less) - sounds pretty good - spacious, well separated etc - but suffers on more complex stuff where it starts to sound a bit bright, a bit hollow, and a bit digital sounding really.

would I get better SQ forking out for a X1060 to compliment it ? or would I be better off say spending £100 on a decent portable amp for the Touch ? (I already have a LOD)

thanks, Mark.

As estreeter suggested, you might want to look into an amp for a different sound signature. Of course, you will sacrifice some portability with this setup. It really depends on your usage, budget, and other gear to determine your value scores.

Quote:

Originally Posted by righteousball /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've seen a Japanese interview with a Sony exec saying that Sony always "cap" their players at 5+5mW@16ohm for volume reasons. (I know, whatever~~)

Are you certain the output rating is at 16 ohm? If you have a link to the interview, that would be helpful.

Nov 26, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #247 of 278
I don't have a link, but my personal memory is that Sony has defaulted to 5+5mW @ 16ohm for a very long time, I've seen other output ratings, but never not at 16ohm.

I'm sure the sea of Sony fan-slash-veterans here can either prove or disprove the whole thing here. Off to work I go...

Nov 30, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #249 of 278
I think all Sony has to do to avoid hearing damage lawsuits is to put a disclaimer warning in their manuals instead of condescendly putting a volume cap on their players.
triportsad.gif

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #250 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by techfreakazoid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the X is rated at 5 + 5 mW (16 ohm), that's considerably lower than the S9's output. While the S9 goes louder than the X, hard to believe we're talking about 5.8x.

Don't forget that power & volume scales are logarithmic, so even if the S9 is 30mw per channel, that only accounts for a 60% increase in volume BEFORE distortion is taken in to account...

Dec 3, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #253 of 278
Thanks for the great review, and thanks for keeping the thread updated and replying regularly. It's time to upgrade my old iPod Nano 2G, and I've gone with the 32GB x1060 as it's currently £142 from Amazon UK with Sony UK's cashback offer. I feel this X1060 will be a much better match for my second pair of Atrio M5s, which are on their way from the US.

Dec 3, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #254 of 278
Amazon is not a participant retailer so you will get no cashback. At least I hope you have received the free dock.

Edit - apparently it is! That makes it an even greater deal, with the included dock! I'll just order one myself

Dec 3, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #255 of 278
Great news - interested to see where/how you verified that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back