SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Dec 11, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #2,041 of 2,082
xm3 was sitting idle from the time I bought as I didn't like boomy sound with too much of S's in the highs. also the fact that I cannot change equalizer without affecting LDAC. Now I came across an app called 'wavelet' where it has autoeq feature to tune it to harman target curve. I tried that and now xm3 sounds wonderful. In fact I tried this with Momentum True Wireless (which was also lying around as I didn't like sound signature) and even that sounds wonderful.

yup, Wavelet has become sort of a "secret (not so secret) weapon" app to have for bluetooth earphones users. the auto eq on the WH XM3 really sheds the boomy-ness of the sound. i really like it. i also use wavelet for most of my TWS

Dec 11, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #2,043 of 2,082
Wow, wouldn't have expected anybody to hear sibilence in the highs with XM3. XM3 would be considered dark to most people I assume. Personally like this sort of tone, and of course be much better with bass shelved lower and responsed tighter like the AKG K371. Still my favorite ANC headphone.

MTW on the other hand is definately boosted in the treble and needs to be tamed.

Its not sibilant. just the fact that extreme high frequencies are boosted making sound 'tizzy' if I name it. Its not harsh, just too much tizzy

Dec 11, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #2,044 of 2,082
Its not sibilant. just the fact that extreme high frequencies are boosted making sound 'tizzy' if I name it. Its not harsh, just too much tizzy
I could see that for XM4 definately, but XM3, but you hear what you hear. XM4 has a higher and narrower hump at the uppermids is the reason.

Maybe I don't understand what you mean.

To me, bass improved with firmware update like the other guy says.

Jan 19, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #2,046 of 2,082
i have a Galaxy Tab S6, unlocked the developers mode last night and to unlock LDAC codec for usage on my Sony WH-1000XM3, surprised that they made so easy to, I am presuming that as this is Snapdragon 855 and android 9 onwards, natively supports Ldac and APTX-HD, but samsung turns it off, i am impressed with high bitrate audio,

Jan 19, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #2,047 of 2,082
i have a Galaxy Tab S6, unlocked the developers mode last night and to unlock LDAC codec for usage on my Sony WH-1000XM3, surprised that they made so easy to, I am presuming that as this is Snapdragon 855 and android 9 onwards, natively supports Ldac and APTX-HD, but samsung turns it off, i am impressed with high bitrate audio,
It may not connect by LDAC as default moving forward, you may have to go into Developer Options each time. Not for sure, but possibly. I have the XM3 as well and with my LG G7 it connected to LDAC after I enabled advanced codecs on the phone. When you connect with LDAC on my phone at least, you see a message for about 2 seconds that says connected to LDAC audio. For some reason after several months without an issue it just stopped doing that. When I went into developer options it connected with AAC and has defaulted to that ever since with my XM3. If I am to be honest, I could not hear the difference anyway, and I listen to very well recorded, dynamic music. Anyway, even though I don't think it makes any audible difference whatsoever, I still go into developer options and change the connection to LDAC.

Jan 19, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #2,048 of 2,082
It may not connect by LDAC as default moving forward, you may have to go into Developer Options each time. Not for sure, but possibly. I have the XM3 as well and with my LG G7 it connected to LDAC after I enabled advanced codecs on the phone. When you connect with LDAC on my phone at least, you see a message for about 2 seconds that says connected to LDAC audio. For some reason after several months without an issue it just stopped doing that. When I went into developer options it connected with AAC and has defaulted to that ever since with my XM3. If I am to be honest, I could not hear the difference anyway, and I listen to very well recorded, dynamic music. Anyway, even though I don't think it makes any audible difference whatsoever, I still go into developer options and change the connection to LDAC.

I just go into the normal Bluetooth settings on my S10e, then I select the headphones which I am connected to, and there I have a "LDAC" option.

1611116800784.png

I was also using the option in the Developer settings, but the option there stopped working after some firmware update. Also, when using the option in the Developer settings, what you set will not be saved, so you have to go every time there, annoying.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #2,049 of 2,082
I just go into the normal Bluetooth settings on my S10e, then I select the headphones which I am connected to, and there I have a "LDAC" option.

1611116800784.png

I was also using the option in the Developer settings, but the option there stopped working after some firmware update. Also, when using the option in the Developer settings, what you set will not be saved, so you have to go every time there, annoying.
Not sure if I have the same menu presentation with my LG, but I'll look. Cheers.

Jan 19, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #2,050 of 2,082
Not sure if I have the same menu presentation with my LG, but I'll look. Cheers.

So if I actually select/tap on a device, it will trigger the connection/disconnection of the smartphone to that device. Instead, I have a little settings wheel on the right of each device, for example.

Jan 20, 2021 at 12:22 AM Post #2,051 of 2,082
I changed the default to ldac

Jan 20, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #2,052 of 2,082
Jan 28, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #2,054 of 2,082
Just want to share my custom (monster) earpads from Vesper Audio. 3cm height no taper - its about twice the height of the dekoni suede. Maybe a bit too much, but time will tell. It seems comfortable, but I extend the arms to max. Definitely plush and no contact with my ears.

PXL_20210128_040528186.jpg

Jan 28, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #2,055 of 2,082
Just want to share my custom (monster) earpads from Vesper Audio. 3cm height no taper - its about twice the height of the dekoni suede. Maybe a bit too much, but time will tell. It seems comfortable, but I extend the arms to max. Definitely plush and no contact with my ears.

PXL_20210128_040528186.jpg

how much did you pay? and where did you get these earpads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back