SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Oct 29, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #2,026 of 2,082
Question...I also have the WF, and with that, I can switch between different devices. I still have to select the earbuds on my device, but I don't need to manually disconnect from the initial device. For some reason, I cannot do that with the WH - If I don't manually disconnect first, it won't let me connect to the new device. Wondering if anyone else has this issue?

The WH-1000XM3 has NFC. As an Android user, I just tap my phone to the headphones to pair or unpair it.

Nov 12, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #2,027 of 2,082
Comparing XM3 to XM4, XM3 does seem to have better audio quality like I recall. I don't like what XM4 did with the mids, it doesn't sound as good as the XM3.

XM4 uses Mediatek chip vs the Qualcomm on the XM3. So, XM4 doesn't have AptX. But, people should do fine with AAC on both.

To me LDAC is almost useless. 990kbs is unstable. Connection drops.

I wish there was a way to save EQ on the XM3. Does XM3 have EQ memory that's keeps the setting for when you connect to other devices like the TV? It's a bit too warm for my taste and need to dial the low-end down.

I understand some people may prefer the QC35 for it's highs being more crisp sounding, but QC35's treble has an artificialness to it's sound I cannot stand. I do like the XM3 highs, although a bit dark. What I like is, it's quite silky, and not peaky or strong parts in it. QC35 and XM3 seems to on the opposite extremes, with 35 being a lean and XM3 warm. I usually don't like warm or thick, but in this case, my taste goes to XM3. QC35 sounds too unnatural to me. If we dial down the bass, XM3 gets better. That bass is the problem.

Anyway, I'm here mainly for ANC, and XM3 will be my goto for it. To me, it's the best ANC headphone if one does't care about call quality, multipoint and able to EQ the bass. Most useful for flights or scenarios when I have noise around me and need to watch or hear content. VERY PRACTICAL.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #2,028 of 2,082
My EQ. I have the 5th filter, the bell curve off. So, just the shelf.

Screenshot_20201112-205224_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg

Nov 13, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #2,029 of 2,082
Comparing XM3 to XM4, XM3 does seem to have better audio quality like I recall. I don't like what XM4 did with the mids, it doesn't sound as good as the XM3.

XM4 uses Mediatek chip vs the Qualcomm on the XM3. So, XM4 doesn't have AptX. But, people should do fine with AAC on both.

To me LDAC is almost useless. 990kbs is unstable. Connection drops.

I wish there was a way to save EQ on the XM3. Does XM3 have EQ memory that's keeps the setting for when you connect to other devices like the TV? It's a bit too warm for my taste and need to dial the low-end down.

I understand some people may prefer the QC35 for it's highs being more crisp sounding, but QC35's treble has an artificialness to it's sound I cannot stand. I do like the XM3 highs, although a bit dark. What I like is, it's quite silky, and not peaky or strong parts in it. QC35 and XM3 seems to on the opposite extremes, with 35 being a lean and XM3 warm. I usually don't like warm or thick, but in this case, my taste goes to XM3. QC35 sounds too unnatural to me. If we dial down the bass, XM3 gets better. That bass is the problem.

Anyway, I'm here mainly for ANC, and XM3 will be my goto for it. To me, it's the best ANC headphone if one does't care about call quality, multipoint and able to EQ the bass. Most useful for flights or scenarios when I have noise around me and need to watch or hear content. VERY PRACTICAL.

Just enable the EQ via the Headphones app, set it to what you want, and leave it like that.

The app is not a requirement for the EQ to be applied, so once you set it to what you want, that EQ will be used for everything you connect the XM3 to.

Nov 13, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #2,030 of 2,082
Just enable the EQ via the Headphones app, set it to what you want, and leave it like that.

The app is not a requirement for the EQ to be applied, so once you set it to what you want, that EQ will be used for everything you connect the XM3 to.
Do you know if it's like a shelf reduction? What I don't like is that I can't specify precisely where I can start cutting off the bass at.

Nov 13, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #2,031 of 2,082
Do you know if it's like a shelf reduction? What I don't like is that I can't specify precisely where I can start cutting off the bass at.

I have no idea to be honest. Especially after the last firmware update, the bass is not as boomy anymore, so I don't feel the need to use EQ.

Previously I was toning the bass down a bit, and increasing mids/highs.

Nov 13, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #2,032 of 2,082
I have no idea to be honest. Especially after the last firmware update, the bass is not as boomy anymore, so I don't feel the need to use EQ.

Previously I was toning the bass down a bit, and increasing mids/highs.
I do notice that as well. Bass seems to have gotten tighter after the firmware update. Also, sound has gotten clearer in the highs. I was wondering how the response looks if adjusting the clear bass. You were meaning adjusting the Clear Bass setting, correct? And once you set it, it will perminently set to that bass level?

I compared XM3 to XM4, and XM4 mids sounds odd due to a cut at the 2k and quick rise at 3k.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #2,033 of 2,082
You were meaning adjusting the Clear Bass setting, correct? And once you set it, it will perminently set to that bass level?

Yes, I was adjusting Clear Bass.

And yes, once you set any kind of setting in the Headphones app, they will stay saved like that, no matter which device you're connecting the XM3s to.

Nov 14, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #2,034 of 2,082
hi guys. So I am looking to replace my SONY WH1000XM3 portable headphones. They have been OK in my opinion but not audiophile headphones! Just to give you an idea my wired Superlux headphones are built better and still surprise in terms of musical sparkle despite them being a flat monitor based sound. Anyway - from a portable perspective what do you guys recommend?

Nov 22, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #2,036 of 2,082
Coming from a pair of Bose QC25 that I got for a noisy work environment, I recently picked up the Sony WH-1000XM3 on sale. Often working on a laptop and removing the headphones throughout the day, being wired was getting annoying. With all of the raving reviews backing the WH-1000XM3, I figured they would be a nice upgrade, too.

Turns out I have to say that I'm torn between keeping them or returning them. I can't notice much difference in ANC as compared to the QC25, which was my main motivation for getting the WH-1000XM3. They also feel a bit less comfortable than the QC25, mostly due to not having quite as much adjustable height, although maybe that's a question of getting used to them. The QC25 also feel more airy around the earpads, leaving more room for your ear.

On the flip side, the WH-1000XM3 app gives you quite a few customization options, something that's entirely absent with the QC25. I don't really have a strong preference in terms of dedicated vs. integrated batterey. I guess for longevity purposes, there's more value in being able to pop in a dedicated AAA-battery as you're not slowly degrading an integrated battery.

With respect to the actual sound, the QC25 feel a bit too flat but the WH-1000XM3 feel too bassy. There's room for correction here, though, as the EQ options available to the WH-1000XM3 allow you to tone down the overpowering bass. Midrange does seem muddy compared to the QC25. At any rate, my main motivation for using either of these is for the ANC. White noise produced by the WH-1000XM3 seems to be a bit less than the QC25.

Nov 23, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #2,037 of 2,082
Gave both the QC25 and the WH-1000XM3 a bit more testing and I decided to return the latter. In the end, I found the QC25 more comfortable and I disliked the muddy bass of the WH-1000XM3. I did try fiddling with EQ profiles, but couldn't quite nail settings that I liked.

Since I've already had the QC25 for over a year, it didn't make sense to spend money on what I would at best consider a sidegrade.

Dec 11, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #2,038 of 2,082
xm3 was sitting idle from the time I bought as I didn't like boomy sound with too much of S's in the highs. also the fact that I cannot change equalizer without affecting LDAC. Now I came across an app called 'wavelet' where it has autoeq feature to tune it to harman target curve. I tried that and now xm3 sounds wonderful. In fact I tried this with Momentum True Wireless (which was also lying around as I didn't like sound signature) and even that sounds wonderful.

Dec 11, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #2,039 of 2,082
xm3 was sitting idle from the time I bought as I didn't like boomy sound with too much of S's in the highs. also the fact that I cannot change equalizer without affecting LDAC. Now I came across an app called 'wavelet' where it has autoeq feature to tune it to harman target curve. I tried that and now xm3 sounds wonderful. In fact I tried this with Momentum True Wireless (which was also lying around as I didn't like sound signature) and even that sounds wonderful.

What about the latest firmware update? It makes the sound less boomy, actually.

Dec 11, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #2,040 of 2,082
Wow, wouldn't have expected anybody to hear sibilence in the highs with XM3. XM3 would be considered dark to most people I assume. Personally like this sort of tone, and of course be much better with bass shelved lower and responsed tighter like the AKG K371. Still my favorite ANC headphone.

MTW on the other hand is definately boosted in the treble and needs to be tamed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back