SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Aug 29, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #2,011 of 2,082
Interesting...So, had these for almost a year. Tried the 360 audio thing (took pics of my ears, etc.), and got a free Tidal subscription.

Absolutely not a fan...These headphones already have a very good soundstage. I thought the 360 audio/Tidal thing was kinda gimmicky, and believe it or not, it strangely produced some nausea when using it (Tidal). Not sure how or why, but it is what it is. Deleted Tidal, even though I had / have a couple more weeks left on my free trial.

Aug 29, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #2,012 of 2,082
Interesting...So, had these for almost a year. Tried the 360 audio thing (took pics of my ears, etc.), and got a free Tidal subscription.

Absolutely not a fan...These headphones already have a very good soundstage. I thought the 360 audio/Tidal thing was kinda gimmicky, and believe it or not, it strangely produced some nausea when using it (Tidal). Not sure how or why, but it is what it is. Deleted Tidal, even though I had / have a couple more weeks left on my free trial.

I also tried it, and it can sound interesting with some songs. The effect is meant to reproduce listening live to the song, mostly. Also, I use Tidal just for normal streaming sometimes, especially because it has CD quality stuff. I wouldn't really recommend using Tidal solely for the 360 Reality Audio thing.

I recorded some songs in 360 Reality Audio, from Tidal, this is one example:

Aug 29, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #2,013 of 2,082
I don't use the surround feature. I feel like it is missing the middle stage, it just sounds like two small, close speakers. Without the VPT, the audio just sounds more clear. If I want to use the VPT (for more variety), I would choose Outdoor Stage.

Aug 29, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #2,014 of 2,082
I don't use the surround feature. I feel like it is missing the middle stage, it just sounds like two small, close speakers. Without the VPT, the audio just sounds more clear. If I want to use the VPT (for more variety), I would choose Outdoor Stage.

360 Reality Audio has nothing to do with the VPT Surround function of the headphones.

Aug 29, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #2,017 of 2,082
Aug 29, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #2,018 of 2,082
Headphone users need to accept that headphones have strengths and weaknesses. A great strength is the super immersive experience that headphones allow, however, a great headphone weakness is the ability to portray a full and dimensional soundscape. That is the domain of speaker based systems. That is why I have both a nice speaker based system and nice headphones. You really do need both, but modest expenditures can still provide fantastic outcomes now.

Aug 29, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #2,019 of 2,082
Headphone users need to accept that headphones have strengths and weaknesses. A great strength is the super immersive experience that headphones allow, however, a great headphone weakness is the ability to portray a full and dimensional soundscape. That is the domain of speaker based systems. That is why I have both a nice speaker based system and nice headphones. You really do need both, but modest expenditures can still provide fantastic outcomes now.

I suggest you listen to the Abyss Phi TC or Raal SR1a...might change your mind. :wink:

Aug 29, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #2,020 of 2,082
I suggest you listen to the Abyss Phi TC or Raal SR1a...might change your mind. :wink:
I can only imagine how sublime it sounds. I did have the Diana here for a time. Still, no escaping the super stereo effect of headphones. The better the headphone is, the better it hides it, but ultimately it is missing a true central transition zone where with speakers, the left and the right channel are both apparent distinctly, yet integrated into true stereo.

Aug 29, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #2,021 of 2,082
I can only imagine how sublime it sounds. I did have the Diana here for a time. Still, no escaping the super stereo effect of headphones. The better the headphone is, the better it hides it, but ultimately it is missing a true central transition zone where with speakers, the left and the right channel are both apparent distinctly, yet integrated into true stereo.

The Diana, while an amazing headphone in its own right doesn't give the same spacious impressions of the Phi TC and SR1a. :) Hopefully when the world isn't so crazy and we have a vaccine, I'd recommend going to a local meet to hear them.

Aug 30, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #2,022 of 2,082
The Diana, while an amazing headphone in its own right doesn't give the same spacious impressions of the Phi TC and SR1a. :) Hopefully when the world isn't so crazy and we have a vaccine, I'd recommend going to a local meet to hear them.
For sure, I would love to hear them. If I ever do get the chance I will be sure to let you know what my impressions are.

Aug 30, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #2,023 of 2,082
I also tried it, and it can sound interesting with some songs. The effect is meant to reproduce listening live to the song, mostly. Also, I use Tidal just for normal streaming sometimes, especially because it has CD quality stuff. I wouldn't really recommend using Tidal solely for the 360 Reality Audio thing.

I recorded some songs in 360 Reality Audio, from Tidal, this is one example:

When you had the update for your XM3, was it for Android, iOS, or a different device?

Aug 30, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #2,024 of 2,082
When you had the update for your XM3, was it for Android, iOS, or a different device?

I use a Samsung S10e, so it's Android. However, the update should come no matter what OS you are using on your smartphone. When you start the app, and you have the headphones connected to your smartphone, the app will contact Sony's servers in order to check if there is a new firmware update available for those headphones, so it's basically OS independent.

Oct 27, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #2,025 of 2,082
Question...I also have the WF, and with that, I can switch between different devices. I still have to select the earbuds on my device, but I don't need to manually disconnect from the initial device. For some reason, I cannot do that with the WH - If I don't manually disconnect first, it won't let me connect to the new device. Wondering if anyone else has this issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back