SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Nov 14, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #1,831 of 2,082
I think what he's referring to is the Sony Headphones app on a phone. If you use EQ on the app it will drop the codec to either SBC or AAC but the EQ that we were referring to before his post is while using wired passive.

Do you like the Q1MK2 sound? Well it's pretty balanced (not neutral) while using it wired and passive. I think this combo will add more warmth. Bluetooth should be okay with just your iPhone since the headphones would handle the decoding. QN1 processor of the headphones acts as a DAC/AMP as well and not just for ANC.
Thank you. I don't have it, actually. Just want to know is there any sense to buy and use it that way

Nov 15, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #1,832 of 2,082
I think what he's referring to is the Sony Headphones app on a phone. If you use EQ on the app it will drop the codec to either SBC or AAC but the EQ that we were referring to before his post is while using wired passive.

So do I understand this correctly: many people say that they are too bass heavy but can sound nice with EQ-ing. But when you EQ them, they still sound like crap due the codec dropping to SBC?

Nov 15, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #1,833 of 2,082
I guess depending on a persons definition of crappy sound. I don't find any immediate difference sound quality wise while on BT LDAC vs SBC or AAC EQed except for the sound signature. I don't know if DSEE-HX helps cause it kicks in whenever the codec goes lower than Apt-X. Might need a thorough listen and a lot of tinkering to find out.

Nov 15, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #1,834 of 2,082
So do I understand this correctly: many people say that they are too bass heavy but can sound nice with EQ-ing. But when you EQ them, they still sound like crap due the codec dropping to SBC?

I guess depending on a persons definition of crappy sound. I don't find any immediate difference sound quality wise while on BT LDAC vs SBC or AAC EQed except for the sound signature. I don't know if DSEE-HX helps cause it kicks in whenever the codec goes lower than Apt-X. Might need a thorough listen and a lot of tinkering to find out.

On my OnePlus 6 I am able to tweak sound without loosing LDAC capabilities using built-in Audio Tuner, but also on my Fiio M11 I am using ReEq app with the same capabilities.

Only Sony Headphones app drops from LDAC to SBC while using in-app equalizer.

Nov 18, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #1,836 of 2,082
Just for make me an aproximation.
The Sony sounds better tahn the Soundmagic Hp 150 or Beyerdinamic Dt770?
Thanks!

I have the XM3 and very recently bought the DT770 80ohm. Prefer the Sony personally, although it's horses for courses and depends on what you're listening to. The Beyerdynamic is considered as monitor headphones, there's a slight emphasis on bass and I do hear some sibilance when plugged into my FiiO A5. Probably need more time to break it in. That said, it's incredibly comfortable and pretty happy with both of the headphones.

Nov 20, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #1,837 of 2,082
I got WH1000XM3 as a gift but I wanted to buy this for a long time mainly because this got almost most of the awards (What HiFi, CNET Editors Choice, EISA, DARKO etc)

But I'm really not happy with the sound quality mainly because of the issue with codec.

1. When I use it with Pixel 3, it sticks to LDAC - 330 Kbps which is worse than SBC. I'm not able to change it. Some issue with pixel 3
2. I tried with Oneplus 6 and its defaulting to LDAC- 330 KBPS. ok, atleast here I can change it and it sticks atleast for the session. But the problem here is too much bass. If I equalize using sony headphone connect then the codec is switching back to SBC
3. Tried with ipad. This gives me bit of relief. Here its atleast sticking with AAC even after equalization and since using with Apple Music not much is lost during transcoding

I recently purchased Oneplus Bullets wireless 2 which supports Aptx HD. I didn't have any issues with them. I just open the headphone and it connects instantly with Aptx HD (no hassles) with Pixel 3

I'm not able to properly compare sound quality due to these codec issues. Overall I'm not supremely happy with WH1000XM3

Now I realize the award is mainly for the noise cancelling part of this headphone

Nov 21, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #1,838 of 2,082
Going into developer settings and force LDAC connection bitrate.

Nov 21, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #1,840 of 2,082
This is in developer settings, not the app.

Nov 29, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #1,842 of 2,082
I tried a lot but it looks like Pixel 3 has some bug. I cannot force LDAC - Sound quality mode in developer options

I'm using my ipad as source and use AAC. Another big benefit is I can turn the bass down without affecting AAC codec

Just a question though, is it possible to change the signature of the headphone's default EQ (turn the bass down) through software updates?

With ipad + Apple Music, sound quality is much better than any bluetooth headphones I have experienced (my stable includes Oneplus Wireless 2, Bose Soundsport wireless, Sony MDR-1ABT). Sound is warm, natural and mids are really nice

Only problem is their codec problem If they can fix in such a way that LDAC high quality model stays even after equalization then it will be much better. May be if they can do some software updates

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #1,843 of 2,082
CF65F0CF-CB0A-4085-96B3-3E59912008EB.jpeg
Anyone wanna share their EQ ?
Just tried this and voices sound pretty good.à
EDIT : sounds like trash after 3m I feel like puking, anyone has recommendations?

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #1,844 of 2,082
Anyone wanna share their EQ ?
Just tried this and voices sound pretty good.à
EDIT : sounds like trash after 3m I feel like puking, anyone has recommendations?

From Sony app:
Screenshot_20191029-124142.png

From RE-EQ app:
Screenshot_20191206-091029.png

I've just want to lower a bass a little bit, rest is just fine.

FYI, when using RE-EQ you can adjust equalization without dropping LDAC connection. Also on my OnePlus 6 I can adjust sound via built-in audio tuner withour dropping LDAC connection. So It should be available on other mobile brands too.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #1,845 of 2,082
I have obtained a WH-1000Xm3 a month ago from my sister in law, but i don't really use it much, not so keen on using at home, way too v shaped and exciting to relax in bed listening usind this headphone, but i don't use much of it outside as i live in Hong Kong, the climate means it's generally to hot and sweaty to use, however, this week, we have cool monsoons and tempature in the morning around 13-16c, perfectly fine to use, it's rather good while commuting, connected to my Huawei P30 Pro for netflix and connected to my sony nw-zx100 high res player

Users who are viewing this thread

Back