SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Oct 30, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #1,802 of 2,082
Impressive. I have not used mine for well over a month but just turned them on to do the fw update and the battery status was still at 100%

Nov 6, 2019 at 4:38 AM Post #1,805 of 2,082
How dows the ANC respond to pad swapping? I have rather large ears and the stock pads are not deep enough for me to wear them comfortably.

Or can somebody reccommend me some other ANC headphones for bigger than average ears? I'm more concerned about the depth of the pads. Something as big as the AQ Nightowls would be nice, comfort-wise.

Nov 6, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #1,806 of 2,082
How dows the ANC respond to pad swapping? I have rather large ears and the stock pads are not deep enough for me to wear them comfortably.

Or can somebody reccommend me some other ANC headphones for bigger than average ears? I'm more concerned about the depth of the pads. Something as big as the AQ Nightowls would be nice, comfort-wise.

I’m using the Dekoni velour pads that seem to be slightly deeper than the stock and did not notice any difference in ANC performance. Swapping pads is a pain though

Nov 6, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #1,807 of 2,082

I’m using the Dekoni velour pads that seem to be slightly deeper than the stock and did not notice any difference in ANC performance. Swapping pads is a pain though

Dekoni Choice here. More comfortable, more space, sweet-proof. Passive isolation is similar, ANC performance too.

Hard to swap - hard to click-in Dekonis, you need to use more force to do this.

Nov 6, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #1,808 of 2,082
I've bought this thing, but for the dumbest reason: I like my IER-Z1R and all but the isolation on it is pretty mediocre. So what better way to get that combination sound quality and isolation on flights than to wear the Z1R underneath the XM3? This sounds stupid but it actually works surprisingly effectively, a 30 minute test session at a store yielded good results. Whatever the ANC doesn't knock out, the Z1R's own passive isolation does. I have a flight this Friday so this will be the perfect test of it in action. Ideally it'll be as good as I imagine it is.

Nov 6, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #1,809 of 2,082
Hello guys, got two quick questions about the Sony headphones app.

I purchased those headphones not to use with my phone, but to plug to my TV and enjoy late night sessions without the hassle of wires or of a RF transmitter. I'm really happy with them so far. I wonder if i should connect them to my phone and update them, because i've read that one update at the beginning of the year really killed the ANC capabilities for some users. Is there any truth in that ? Also, let's imagine i make the update and play with the settings, will the changes affect the headphones even when they're not connected to the phone but to my TV, which will be the case 99% of the time ?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #1,810 of 2,082
Hello guys, got two quick questions about the Sony headphones app.

I purchased those headphones not to use with my phone, but to plug to my TV and enjoy late night sessions without the hassle of wires or of a RF transmitter. I'm really happy with them so far. I wonder if i should connect them to my phone and update them, because i've read that one update at the beginning of the year really killed the ANC capabilities for some users. Is there any truth in that ? Also, let's imagine i make the update and play with the settings, will the changes affect the headphones even when they're not connected to the phone but to my TV, which will be the case 99% of the time ?

Thank you.

From my point of view the update 4.1.1 does not change anything in ANC.

I believe that settings are stored in headphones so if you set for example equalization in Headphones app they will use these settings for all devices (except cable connection with turned off headphones).

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 6:26 AM Post #1,811 of 2,082
I've bought this thing, but for the dumbest reason: I like my IER-Z1R and all but the isolation on it is pretty mediocre. So what better way to get that combination sound quality and isolation on flights than to wear the Z1R underneath the XM3? This sounds stupid but it actually works surprisingly effectively, a 30 minute test session at a store yielded good results. Whatever the ANC doesn't knock out, the Z1R's own passive isolation does. I have a flight this Friday so this will be the perfect test of it in action. Ideally it'll be as good as I imagine it is.

That's what I did. However I was using the TIN P1 Planar. Worked like a charm.

Nov 6, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #1,812 of 2,082
From my point of view the update 4.1.1 does not change anything in ANC.

I believe that settings are stored in headphones so if you set for example equalization in Headphones app they will use these settings for all devices (except cable connection with turned off headphones).

That's indeed the update i was talking about. Not sure why some people had this issue, maybe it's a phone matter...

Probably going to give the app a try, Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back