SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Oct 26, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #1,787 of 2,082
XM3 ANC is superior to Bose NC 700. Also, the wireless SQ is better on XM3 (it's probably the LDAC codec). NC 700 wireless SQ is mediocre.

I own both here and I have it the other way around...I don't think the XM3 is mediocre though (with the right EQ)...just not as natural as the NC 700.

Oct 26, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #1,788 of 2,082
I own both here and I have it the other way around...I don't think the XM3 is mediocre though (with the right EQ)...just not as natural as the NC 700.
Indeed, without some thoughtful equalization to bring the bass into control the XM3 sounds very bloated. However, once you dial the bass down and in it can sound very, very good. I'll have to give the NC 700 a listen. I do worry about the comfort issue that seems to be consistently reported. Damn shame how hard it is to get an on-ear design just right, but clearly with so many variables to account for it is understandable.

Oct 27, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #1,790 of 2,082
I would suggest B&W PX. The sound is amazing! The earpads of XM3 are worse than the QC series and PX in my opinion.
Comfort wise? Not in my experience. The PX were so uncomfortable, painful actually, that despite loving the sound I had to return them. Bought the XM3 right after that and the comfort difference was night and day in favour of the XM3. For me anyway.

Oct 27, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #1,791 of 2,082
Comfort wise? Not in my experience. The PX were so uncomfortable, painful actually, that despite loving the sound I had to return them. Bought the XM3 right after that and the comfort difference was night and day in favour of the XM3. For me anyway.
Indeed., the PX is a little bit heavy for wearing. I have tired the XM3 in BB first, but I just don't like its leather which is too stiff for me in comparison with PX. :dt880smile:

Oct 27, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #1,792 of 2,082
Indeed., the PX is a little bit heavy for wearing. I have tired the XM3 in BB first, but I just don't like its leather which is too stiff for me in comparison with PX. :dt880smile:

I use Dekoni velours on my XM3

Oct 27, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #1,793 of 2,082

I find the top of the pads on the xm3 pinch my ears a little if I don't have them just so. Only really using them until my ears clear up from this damned cold and I can go back to iems. Still better than the xm2 which felt like I had a spike through the top of my head thanks to a hot spot after 20 minutes or so :frowning2:

Oct 27, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #1,794 of 2,082
Lucky you, I really loved the PX style and sound and would happily have kept them, but the comfort was very poor for me. I really like the XM3 so it all worked out in the end.

Oct 27, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #1,795 of 2,082
I find the top of the pads on the xm3 pinch my ears a little if I don't have them just so. Only really using them until my ears clear up from this damned cold and I can go back to iems. Still better than the xm2 which felt like I had a spike through the top of my head thanks to a hot spot after 20 minutes or so :frowning2:
Bummer, different ear shape than mine I suspect. I find the XM3 almost perfect for comfort, as close to perfect as I have had. Maybe the B&O H6 wireless that I owned for a year was better, but not sure. For a portable that I loved comfort wise the Sony MDR 1A was pretty darn terrific. I tend to prefer over-ear as opposed to on-ear.

Oct 28, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #1,797 of 2,082
If you can find em, maybe try the new PX7? B&W's upgraded version of the PX. Other threads mention that they are more comfortable and fixed the ANC from ruining the sound quality on the PXs

Oct 28, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #1,798 of 2,082
If you can find em, maybe try the new PX7? B&W's upgraded version of the PX. Other threads mention that they are more comfortable and fixed the ANC from ruining the sound quality on the PXs
Yes, they used carbon fiber for the arm to make it lighter. And the sound is more similar to P7. I want to try it, but I can't find any dealer in my area.

Oct 28, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #1,799 of 2,082
It wasn't the weight of the PX based on the many, many comments that I read about their lack of comfort, plus for me, it was the clamping force. I understand to get a particular signature the integrity of the seal is important, but the PX was just too tight. Hopefully the clamping force was looked at as well.

Oct 30, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #1,800 of 2,082
I am not sure if thread is correct, but:

New firmware 4.2.2 is available for my Europe model. What is added?

Function for switching the Touch sensor control panel function between active and inactive added.

Guessing controling headphones with touch panel disabled :confused: Not tested yet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back