SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Aug 31, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #1,756 of 2,082
Any announcements on the x4 coming soon, or should I just pick one up now if I want one?

Thanks
No xm4 this year, only ZX500 and A100

Aug 31, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #1,758 of 2,082
Is there a way to disconnect from the current Bluetooth connection, without doing so from the device? It happens too often when I'm just waking up and turn these on to use with my phone next to me, and they end up connecting to my closed laptop across the room. I dont like having to get up, walk over to it, open it and manually disconnect...Just so I can use it on my phone, when I'm still in bed, half asleep.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #1,759 of 2,082
Is there a way to disconnect from the current Bluetooth connection, without doing so from the device? It happens too often when I'm just waking up and turn these on to use with my phone next to me, and they end up connecting to my closed laptop across the room.
I don't know of any way to change the connection from the headphone side. When you turn off the headphone, was it last connected to the laptop? I think it will prioritize to the last connected device.

What kind of laptop? Do you put it to sleep overnight, and Bluetooth wakes it up? On a Mac, there's a setting for whether to allow Bluetooth to wake up the computer.

Sep 1, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #1,760 of 2,082
I don't know of any way to change the connection from the headphone side. When you turn off the headphone, was it last connected to the laptop? I think it will prioritize to the last connected device.

What kind of laptop? Do you put it to sleep overnight, and Bluetooth wakes it up? On a Mac, there's a setting for whether to allow Bluetooth to wake up the computer.
As far as I recall, on my iphone I simply just go to the BT settings and press the XM3s. Then it writes “connected“...so I don’t have to disconnect from e.g. my iPad first.

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #1,762 of 2,082
So did the big vs little XM3 test again today this time on a flight from Copenhagen to London. The result was essentially the same as Tuesdays train test. The full size has the better anc by a fair margin but the in ear is still good enough that I only have to go to about 60% volume on my iPhone8. This with silicone tips so I expect even better passive isolation with Complys. Interestingly the WF anc don’t go crazy when the plane runs on the runway during take off whereas the WH feels like being inside a cauldron popping popcorn.

Sep 9, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #1,763 of 2,082
A couple of questions about the WH-1000XM3. 1) Anyone using this with an AQ cobalt DAC? 2) Can I still use the app if I'm connecting via a wire?

I just bought the AQ cobalt, which takes some getting used to compared to the AQ black, given the slow roll off filter, etc. It's also more restrained but has a lot more power. So I'm looking for a new pair of headphones, but it strikes me that I could use the XM3, (currently relegated to watching TV while muting the wife :) but not if I can't tame them. I spent most of Sunday ripping CD's to FLAC, which sound amazing with just the 1More Triple Driver plugged into the phone's headphone jack. Largely as whenever I plug the Triple Driver into the DAC it kills the sound stage. I spend some of Saturday in a local HiFi shop, auditioning some new cans, so I know the cobalt is capable of serving both Classical/choral and Rock. Though looking at "best off 2019" lists today, I find the MX3 mentioned quite a lot. But I don't want to spend ages tweaking. I guess I am verging more towards the audiophile end, at this point.

Sep 9, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #1,764 of 2,082
A couple of questions about the WH-1000XM3. 1) Anyone using this with an AQ cobalt DAC? 2) Can I still use the app if I'm connecting via a wire?

I just bought the AQ cobalt, which takes some getting used to compared to the AQ black, given the slow roll off filter, etc. It's also more restrained but has a lot more power. So I'm looking for a new pair of headphones, but it strikes me that I could use the XM3, (currently relegated to watching TV while muting the wife :) but not if I can't tame them. I spent most of Sunday ripping CD's to FLAC, which sound amazing with just the 1More Triple Driver plugged into the phone's headphone jack. Largely as whenever I plug the Triple Driver into the DAC it kills the sound stage. I spend some of Saturday in a local HiFi shop, auditioning some new cans, so I know the cobalt is capable of serving both Classical/choral and Rock. Though looking at "best off 2019" lists today, I find the MX3 mentioned quite a lot. But I don't want to spend ages tweaking. I guess I am verging more towards the audiophile end, at this point.

The app requires the phones to be connected with your phone (or android dap) over BT so probably not

Sep 9, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #1,765 of 2,082
Having used this headphone on several long flights, most recently LHR-LAX my appreciation of this headphone continues to grow. The noise cancellation is excellent, the comfort is very good and the sound is very enjoyable and pleasant to my ears. Yes, I realize that this may not be the headphone that you reach for to listen to 'Take Five' for the 98th time to see if you can hear any new minute details, but that's not the use-case that this headphone is designed for: It's designed to make long flights more bearable, and it does that really well IMHO.

Sep 9, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #1,766 of 2,082
Is there a way to disconnect from the current Bluetooth connection, without doing so from the device?
No, unfortunately. It’s really annoying. The best you can do is hold down the power button to enter pairing mode, then choose the (already previously paired) new device and it’ll connect to that one. The WF-1000XM3 (IEM version) will automatically disconnect from the currently-paired device if you try to re-pair with another device. I hope they bring that to the over-ear XM3 in a software update.

Nope, you cannot use the app if the XM3 are plugged in. That said, the XM3 sound brilliant when driven by a reasonable source (in my experience, either the DragonFly Red or the Spectra X) and EQ’d to reduce the bass bloat.

Sep 16, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #1,767 of 2,082
Hi everyone, first of all thanks for your advice. Month ago I bought a XM3 and I have a problem that is only present when I am traveling in bus at some higher speed. The sound It could be described as the bass in out of control what It makes the rest of frequencys get lower and this is frustrating. It is worth mentioning that this problem Its fixed when I turn off the NC. Anyone else have this problem? when I gave my headphones back to warranty they just tell my that everything is ok but they do not probe them in a ambient outside, they just probe them inside the store. Thank you in advance.

Sep 16, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #1,768 of 2,082
Hi everyone, first of all thanks for your advice. Month ago I bought a XM3 and I have a problem that is only present when I am traveling in bus at some higher speed. The sound It could be described as the bass in out of control what It makes the rest of frequencys get lower and this is frustrating. It is worth mentioning that this problem Its fixed when I turn off the NC. Anyone else have this problem? when I gave my headphones back to warranty they just tell my that everything is ok but they do not probe them in a ambient outside, they just probe them inside the store. Thank you in advance.

I notice when on a plane during take off with the wheels rumbling on the runway that bass goes berserk and it sounds like being inside a cauldron with popping corn. It stops when the wheels leave the ground. It does not happen with the in ear XM3

Sep 25, 2019 at 12:22 AM Post #1,769 of 2,082
So, one of the few annoyances that I have with these headphones...When I first turn it on, and it automatically connects to my phone, the sound I hear is really loud (sometimes it can be jarring). Even if I set the volume at zero on my phone (before playing any sound), if I move it just a smidge, I still get this LOUD sound. Only after setting the volume to zero for a second time, does the volume act normally.

Is there a solution to this? Or, is the solution to just do all of this without the headphones on?

Sep 29, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #1,770 of 2,082
Bought the Sony's today. They are awesome. Sound quality wise is obviously slightly less than nice wired sets but not far off. Makes me question expensive purchases to be honest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back