SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Jul 4, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #1,681 of 2,082
I don’t think there are any noise cancelling headphones that will block out sound 100%.
Active noise cancelling technology hasn't advanced to that level. However, they are still very effective and useful for noisy environments such as airplanes.

The highest noise reduction is with deep insertion in-ear monitors such as from Etymotic Research, with up to 42 dB isolation. Some of their models are also highly regarded by audiophiles for sound quality.

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #1,682 of 2,082
Active noise cancelling technology hasn't advanced to that level. However, they are still very effective and useful for noisy environments such as airplanes.

The highest noise reduction is with deep insertion in-ear monitors such as from Etymotic Research, with up to 42 dB isolation. Some of their models are also highly regarded by audiophiles for sound quality.

Yes the ER4 line

Jul 4, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #1,683 of 2,082
Active noise cancelling technology hasn't advanced to that level. However, they are still very effective and useful for noisy environments ...

I’m definitely satisfied with what I have or what’s available. I realized I was too particular on totally blocking out sound. I’m just guessing, but I feel like ANC blocks out 75-80% sound. Good enough for me

Jul 6, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #1,684 of 2,082
I know what you mean.
I was debating between Sony m3 , Bose QC, and the new NC700.

After using all 3 I thought that was really annoying that I can hear these slight sounds. Yes even the new NC700

I don’t think there are any noise cancelling headphones that will block out sound 100%.
I thought I might as well use my Vmodas since they block out sound decently.
The result is Noise cancelling provided a better listening experience since I could listen at low volume with no distractions. I tested them at home since I have noisy neighbors and at the Gym since I do not like the music they play. I used to blast my Vmodas to drown out the sound. With my Sony M3s I can enjoy music at a low volume and it feels like I’m in an elevator, lobby, or library.

I realized that it’s because I focused on looking for sound. Once I focused on listening to a song and took off the headphones it was evident that a lot of noise was being blocked out.

My end result was I bought Sony M3s because I paid $220 vs NC700 being $400+.

If you ignore the price difference, how would you describe the ANC and sound quality on the Sony's compared to the Bose? I'm sceptical about the Sony's due to all the reports about them working horrendously when it's cold and windy, which is basically 3-4 months throughout the year where I live. The Bose NC 700 looks like something completely different from Bose compared to their Quiet Comfort series which has gotten my interest but I'm doing some long haul flights in three weeks so I need to decide which I woull be giving a go.

Jul 6, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #1,685 of 2,082
If you ignore the price difference, how would you describe the ANC and sound quality on the Sony's compared to the Bose? I'm sceptical about the Sony's due to all the reports about them working horrendously when it's cold and windy, which is basically 3-4 months throughout the year where I live. The Bose NC 700 looks like something completely different from Bose compared to their Quiet Comfort series which has gotten my interest but I'm doing some long haul flights in three weeks so I need to decide which I woull be giving a go.

I didn't like the earlier versions of the Sony 1000X but the M3 is excellent. I find the sound quality to be much better than Bose. Bose is good but after listening to the Sony 1000XM3 the Bose sound muddy. The Sony noise cancelling is also better. Two things the Bose does better: 1) connects to two devices simultaneously; and 2) will verbally tell you which devices it has connected to.

I mainly use my ANC headphones on airplane trips and in the hotel room so I cannot attest to how they perform in the wind.

Jul 6, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #1,686 of 2,082

Oh man. I heard about the functionality in the cold weather but I don’t experience that in Southern California. If Sony hasn’t solved that cold weather issue and it’s that bad I can see myself ditching the Sony’s. Had price not been a factor maybe I would’ve scrutinized the NC700 sound but from what I remember it wasn’t noticeable to justify a price difference.

Previous to the Sony’s I paid $300 for Vmodas CFW 1 and $380 for beats studio wireless 2
So I’m stoked to spend $220 on something marginally better.

Jul 7, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #1,687 of 2,082
Just bought a pair of the Sony M3 evaluating. I will use the EQ to customize the sound. App works flawlessly and easy to store and comfortable. Wanted a oair that was easy to connect and Sony has worked on this to achieve the connectability. Still early for impression but so far nice and comfortable and easy to use.

Jul 8, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #1,688 of 2,082

I'm in Seattle, and my XM3's survived the winter; I walk to/from the bus stop. On really cold and windy days, the touch controls would think they were held down (to activate siri), but if I turned my headphones off and on again, I didn't have issues. I think maybe the "problem" was because I first turned them on in my warm office/bus. As far as super-windy goes, the XM3s have an amazing "wind reduction" mode that I can't praise enough!

Jul 8, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #1,689 of 2,082
I'm in Seattle, and my XM3's survived the winter; I walk to/from the bus stop. On really cold and windy days, the touch controls would think they were held down (to activate siri), but if I turned my headphones off and on again, I didn't have issues. I think maybe the "problem" was because I first turned them on in my warm office/bus.
Glad to hear that works, as Sony claimed. I don’t recall anyone giving it a try (I would’ve but don’t live in a cold weather climate).
As far as super-windy goes, the XM3s have an amazing "wind reduction" mode that I can't praise enough!
Completely agree. It’s kinda hidden in the app (one notch on the slider away from full NC), but it’s extremely effective.

Jul 8, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #1,692 of 2,082
Recently saw a review of Bose NC 700 with a testing of the Microphone ANC performance. Color me impressed! XM3 mic quality was mediocre in the same noisy environment.

Hopefully, Sony is working on mic ANC processing that can perform as good or better. Personally, I don't even know if it's possible to do better because the performance was amazing! This mic performance would be useful for those talk in noisy environments like the train/bus or city noise for example.

I'm really impressed with Bose's NC processing ability.

Edit: here is the review that tests the microphone performances with ANC.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #1,693 of 2,082
So, I just went to my local Best Buy to try the new Bose NC 700 headphones (they should all have demo models avail. now).

I was NOT impressed at all. It just basically sounds like the QC35II's...Biggest issue is the clamping pressure. Very uncomfortable for me. The NC might be a little better than the QC35II's, but I honestly wonder if that's just because of the clamping pressure. If you apply more pressure, you will have a better seal, and thus, better NC. Perhaps the clamping pressure will reduce after being used for a while. I'm sure many people will use that particular demo model, so I'll check back with it maybe a little bit later, to see if there's less pressure next time...Regardless, I would take the QC35II's over those, because I would just be getting the Bose for the long-term comfort factor.

At the end of the day, though...Trying the new Bose just made me so happy that I have my XM3.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #1,694 of 2,082
From the quick reviews/previews I saw with the Bose NC 700's, they are designed for crystal clear calls (and voice commands) with noise cancellation. It seems like the audio quality plays second fiddle (at least in improvement over the QC35II's). At first I thought I would be jealous of the 700s, but I'm glad I'm sticking with my XM3's

Jul 9, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #1,695 of 2,082
From the quick reviews/previews I saw with the Bose NC 700's, they are designed for crystal clear calls (and voice commands) with noise cancellation. It seems like the audio quality plays second fiddle (at least in improvement over the QC35II's). At first I thought I would be jealous of the 700s, but I'm glad I'm sticking with my XM3's

Personally I've always preferred the more natural Bose noise cancelling headphones over the thicker/warmer Sony's. The NC on the WH1000MK3 was a step up from the QC35II. I have a pair of QC700s coming in later this week, hoping the NC is better still. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back