SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Jun 5, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #1,651 of 2,082
Hello, this Noise issue is only with ANC on, with ambient sound it´s less and without any NC there is no Problem, so it´s 100% from Noise Canceling.
But i´m wondering about this problem ist coming last days, maybe it's the temperatures, this Sound issue came to me with sommer temperatures about 25° Celsius and above.
Does it happen during specific step-movements? Maybe the headphone is being bumped just enough to disrupt the seal around your ears, leaking in extra noise? I had something similar on the bus, where small bumps in the road can cause the heapdhone's seal to break. I ended up adjusting the headband a size larger on the left side, which also removed the driver flex I was experiencing (a clicking/popping sound separate from the music)

Jun 9, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #1,653 of 2,082
Hmmm...surprised no one has mentioned the new Bose Noise Cancelling headphones (Bose 700). I will, of course, give them a fair try, but the fact that the two reviews on youtube haven't even mentioned sound quality is a huge red flag, and points to them just trying to highlight the positives because Bose gave them a set to review.

Jun 17, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #1,654 of 2,082
I have started experiencing the infamous creaking noise since a couple of weeks ago and it's not going away. It's on the right side and is pretty horrible. Every time I move my mouth/jaw or turn my head slightly I hear it.
Did someone say it's covered under warranty? Is this a defect that pretty much covers all units or just a batch?

Jun 18, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #1,655 of 2,082
I have started experiencing the infamous creaking noise since a couple of weeks ago and it's not going away. It's on the right side and is pretty horrible. Every time I move my mouth/jaw or turn my head slightly I hear it.
Did someone say it's covered under warranty? Is this a defect that pretty much covers all units or just a batch?
Mine was under warranty. I'm not sure if it's all units. When you talk to Sony support, they'll run the serial number (located right below the "L" on the left earcup arm, if I recall correctly)

Jun 18, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #1,656 of 2,082
I just noticed these headphones are now on sale for $399 Cdn. They never go on sale...so it makes me wonder if the Mk4 is just around the corner? Anyone hear of any news?

Jun 18, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #1,657 of 2,082
I just noticed these headphones are now on sale for $399 Cdn. They never go on sale...so it makes me wonder if the Mk4 is just around the corner? Anyone hear of any news?
Seems likely to me.

Jun 19, 2019 at 1:07 AM Post #1,658 of 2,082
Sony has been launching a new model each year at the Berlin IFA consumer electronics show in September. This year should be especially interesting because Bose is finally updating their product line and Sony will be motivated to meet the challenge..

Jun 22, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #1,660 of 2,082
I'd be very surprised if the MW65 does not support AAC. The MW60 supports AAC.... I see M&D doesn't list it explicitly in their online product pages though....
It would be a mistake to not include AAC. I find AAC to sound every bit as good as Apt X or Apt X HD, but that is just from general listening impressions, not deliberate testing. Still, if I would have to carefully set up a testing routine, listen very hard for small differences that might or might not even be real, I could be imagining them, in my mind that suggests for practical application the codecs sound the same. I mean, who analyses and concentrates to that extent on minutiae differences rather than listening to the music? It would defeat the purpose I think.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #1,662 of 2,082
I agree with this and I quite like AAC. My point was that I would expect the MW65 to support AAC since the MW60 does. It is strange M&D does not list AAC explicitly in their product pages....
For sure, I knew what you were saying, I was just jumping in as I find so often people completely ignore AAC when it just sounds so darn good as well. Glad to come across another fan of AAC. To be fair, I simply use LDAC with the XM3 and my phone as it is supported, not sure if I feel there is any benefit though, but I haven't compared as I never seem to be too inclined. I like to just listen. Cheers.

Jun 22, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #1,663 of 2,082
For sure, I knew what you were saying, I was just jumping in as I find so often people completely ignore AAC when it just sounds so darn good as well. Glad to come across another fan of AAC. To be fair, I simply use LDAC with the XM3 and my phone as it is supported, not sure if I feel there is any benefit though, but I haven't compared as I never seem to be too inclined. I like to just listen. Cheers.

Ah, gotcha. Yes, it's too much work to pick out differences between these codecs. SBC is obvious, the others not so much.

Jun 22, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #1,664 of 2,082
Ah, gotcha. Yes, it's too much work to pick out differences between these codecs. SBC is obvious, the others not so much.
That is my feeling. SBC yes, it clearly isn't for critical listening, or should I say hobbyist listening? Cheers.

Jun 27, 2019 at 6:32 AM Post #1,665 of 2,082
I got these yesterday as according to every review online, they offer the best noise cancelling available. However when I tried them, while they do actually cancel noise (to an extent) they hiss at me, and if I tap my arm I can still hear it. It does mask external noise, granted. but I want silence, not hissing. Are the headphones broken? Am I missing something? I have the app, and I've done the setup, disabled auto power off. I also moved the environment slider all the way to the left, (so the car and the people are no longer present on the image) but at that point is switches from a soft rumble to a hiss. This is with a OnePlus 6 phone running Android 9 (Pie) over Bluetooth 5.0, (A2DP, LE, aptX HD available) running USB Audio Player Pro via Dragonfly Black DAC, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back