SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Feb 26, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #1,457 of 2,082
Thanks, I found a lot of info about BT LE but didn’t find any reference to the lack of simultaneous connection to two devices.
So the mysterious new ‘true wireless earbud’ tech seems to be very secretive...
Sorry, pardon me if I'm a lazy guy. Anyone care to enlighten Graham on true wireless earbud connection?

Feb 26, 2019 at 2:55 AM Post #1,459 of 2,082
That's nonsense. The ear pieces are wired to each other. XM3 doesn't use a true wireless type of connection.
Quite.

The sole reason it hasn’t been implemented is sheer laziness (or commercial reasons). It isn’t technical at all. They’ll probably be using the same Qualcomm CSR chips as everyone else.

This is the only pair of BT headphones I had in years which doesn’t support multi device connectivity in any meaningful form.

Whilst Sony’s BT implementation across their range appears identically inept, I’d not be surprised if the feature magically appears on this year’s XM4.

Feb 26, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #1,460 of 2,082
Quite.

The sole reason it hasn’t been implemented is sheer laziness (or commercial reasons). It isn’t technical at all. They’ll probably be using the same Qualcomm CSR chips as everyone else.

Whilst Sony’s BT implementation across their range appears identically inept, I’d not be surprised if the feature magically appears on this year’s XM4.

Agree 100%, at last a reply that makes sense and something I remarked upon some pages back - nothing more than a greedy marketing ploy...

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #1,461 of 2,082
They’ll probably be using the same Qualcomm CSR chips as everyone else.
I’d not be surprised if the feature magically appears on this year’s XM4.
Compared to the competition, lack of multipoint has been a glaring omission in Sony wireless headphones for years. It's time for them to finally do it, but somehow I wouldn't be surprised if it still isn't forthcoming.

Sony probably makes their own Bluetooth chips that are integrated with LDAC, ANC, etc. There's been speculation that Sony hasn't been willing to pay licensing fees for multipoint.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #1,462 of 2,082
Compared to the competition, lack of multipoint has been a glaring omission in Sony wireless headphones for years. It's time for them to finally do it, but somehow I wouldn't be surprised if it still isn't forthcoming.

Sony probably makes their own Bluetooth chips that are integrated with LDAC, ANC, etc. There's been speculation that Sony hasn't been willing to pay licensing fees for multipoint.

Thats the reason I still use the 1000x version. No need to "upgrade" if no multipoint. If I remember correctly sony mentioned it on the v2, but never got it to work when I tested it in the shops.

Feb 26, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #1,463 of 2,082
I'm just glad that I do not currently care about multipoint Bluetooth being available. I guess because I don't need it I have a hard time understanding why it is viewed as so critical? So by not having this feature, how impactful in terms of actual time needed to facilitate the connection making among devices? Is it minutes or seconds, or is it longer?

Feb 26, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #1,466 of 2,082
I'm just glad that I do not currently care about multipoint Bluetooth being available. I guess because I don't need it I have a hard time understanding why it is viewed as so critical? So by not having this feature, how impactful in terms of actual time needed to facilitate the connection making among devices? Is it minutes or seconds, or is it longer?
I wouldn't call it critical, but it is frustrating in that it's a very basic piece of functionality that seems to exist with all comparable wireless headphones. The XM3s are my daily drivers for both commuting and for work, so I generally leave them paired to my phone, but it does sometimes catch me off guard if I'm at my computer and I open a video.

The PX, aside from supporting multipoint pairing, also allows me to double-press the power button to disconnect the headphones from all currently connected sources, making them instantly available to be paired with a new source. With the XM3s, I need to dig through my phone's menu to unpair them, then dig through the new source's menus to pair them. So to answer your original question: it's seconds but seconds add up, and this is a thoughtless detail in an otherwise thoughtfully-designed set of headphones.

Feb 26, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #1,467 of 2,082
You sound like PX wasn't the right choice too, and that's why you've looking up XM3 to see if it was a better than PX.

For me PX only lasted a few days and I couldn't tolerate another second more for it 3rd grade comfort and ANC.

A little trade off on multipoint connection , in return for a working ANC, LDAC, easiest to use swipe and touch go silent controls, comfort to wear for hours of music listening these are top priority/key features for many.

Feb 26, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #1,468 of 2,082
This is just something I thought I noticed yesterday after I updated my headphones to the latest update.
But it feels like my ANC has gotten worse? I'm never used to hearing people talking when walking behind me but yesterday after the update I heard it so clearly even with music (if the volume wasn't to loud).
I tried turning ANC on and off etc of course, just very weird. But might be a coincidence... Will see if I still hear people that clearly after more use.

Over the weekend, I was using these headphones while my wife was watching youtube videos on her phone. I couldn't hear my wife talk to me, but I could hear the youtube voices pretty clearly. I had full ANC on, and no "vocal focus". She was watching one of those tutorial videos, where it's just one person's voice for the entire track. I would guess that certain frequency voices (just like all other sounds) get blocked better or wrose.

Feb 26, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #1,469 of 2,082
Purchased mine yesterday from John Lewis, £263.00 with friends/employee discount.

I am no audio file but I have owned Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless, also Bose QuietComfort 35 II, also (Beats Studios and Pros, Please don't laugh at me).

The Sony WH-1000XM3, are great for people like me who are Bass Heads but also appreciates some of the higher electronic synths sounds you get from music like Detroit/Chicago House. Even I had to use the Sony connect app and set the headphone to increased Treble, as the bass was sometimes a little bit overpowered for my taste, which is saying something.

My opinion, the XM3 noise cancellation is better than the Bose35 II, but the noise cancellation vacuum effect is more noticeable on the SonyXM3, especially on lower volumes.

The Bluetooth works great, I live in a 3 bedroom house with a ground and first floor and can have my Samsung Note 9, Phone on the ground floor and be anywhere on the first floor without dropping the connection.

The build quilty is great, even though it is plastic you can clearly see/feel how premium these headphones are, I was considering the White pair but very happy I last minute opted for the Black version (Timeless Classic Look)

Also, I was very concerned about the reports of broken hinges and other faults with these headphones, but from what I can see if you are going to lovely use and not abuse them you will have no trouble. Also, John Lewis will directly cover any manufactures faults within 2 years without you having the send them back to Sony.

All in All, I am very pleased with the Sony WH-1000XM3, if you are considering purchasing them, just get them you will be very pleased.

Feb 26, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #1,470 of 2,082
Purchased mine yesterday from John Lewis, £263.00 with friends/employee discount.

I am no audio file but I have owned Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless, also Bose QuietComfort 35 II, also (Beats Studios and Pros, Please don't laugh at me

All in All, I am very pleased with the Sony WH-1000XM3, if you are considering purchasing them, just get them you will be very pleased.

Agree pretty much 100% with your comments, I also love the black version with the copper accents...
Have you updated to the latest firmware? That will tame the excessive bass a little...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back