SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Feb 6, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #1,351 of 2,082
Another stupid design quirk, the auto off only works when there is no BT connection which usually means you have to turn BT off at the phone/tablet first...
Lol.. don't think Sony engineers are stupid ppl.

It make sense to power off when there's no BT connection. Want to power off XM3 when there's a BT connection? Use your finger isn't that hard isn't it?

Feb 6, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #1,352 of 2,082
Don’t use the included USB C to USB A cable. They charge much faster when using a USB C to C cable, connected to a good power brick (eg. one that supports USB Power Delivery). As in, 10 minutes should get you several hours of charge.

Make sure they’re powered on when you have an aux cable plugged in; otherwise you get the un-EQ’d sound from the raw drivers, which is pretty awful (as is the case with most ANC headphones). Not sure about the popping noise you mentioned, though. Does that happen with the same cable in other aux sources?

I highly encourage you to play around with a good EQ—with some effort, the XM3 can be made to sound as good as the P7W. (In my humble opinion, with a good EQ profile they actually sound better than the stock P7W signature.)
XM3 long battery life really put other ANC headphones to shame in comparison. It's a deal breaker for ppl want to use it outdoor without charging it every single day or every few days. Fast charge 10 mins and you'll get around 5 hours of usage another big plus point.

Also with bigger battery capacity and higher current fast charging, there's always a risk of safety concerns. So in protecting user and to prolong XM3 battery lifespan, Sony engineers well thought about it so they purposely set it to you can't use XM3 while you charging it. Thumbs up for Sony engineers :thumbsup::thumbsup:

AUX in are wired to the new custom QN1 integrated circuit (this new processor separates the headphones DAC from its digital amplifier to give a cleaner signal path), so you'll need to put on to have better SQ. Power on also give you XM3 super nice ANC listening environment, which is also the main reason why ppl buying into an ANC headphone.

Yupp agreed XM3 can be sounded as good as P7 with proper EQ fo ppl who like "natural sound". With newer v4.1.1 firmware, you can listen to XM3 straight out of box, perfect for ppl who choose to save the troubles messing around with different EQ. In actual fact, there's a lot of ppl who prefer XM3 original higher bass sound profile too, so if you are one of them don't upgrade XM3 firmware, just stay with original firmware best suited you.

Btw, no ANC make B&W P7 best suit to use at home or indoor only. As everyone know, listening to higher volume to block out outside noises always a risk to impair your hearing. To make thing worst, listening to high volume outdoor always a "DEADLY SAFETY CONCERN" coz chances you being run down by a driver/rider/cyclist are very high.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #1,353 of 2,082

It make sense to power off when there's no BT connection. Want to power off XM3 when there's a BT connection? Use your finger isn't that hard isn't it?

Actually, the better approach would be to auto power off regardless of a BT connection is active or not. When I use it at home or work I often leave my computer for meetings or other distractions and it would suck to have to turn off the BT connection every single time and turn it back on :triportsad:. Yesterday, I was using the headphone and left the computer for a while which ended being overnight and when I got back the battery was almost depleted. If it shuts off automatically like P7W all I had to do was to come back next day, turn it on then enjoy the music without having to recharge. It's all about convenience. Why force the users to take extra steps when it's not necessary?

Feb 6, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #1,354 of 2,082

Agreed, they are not stupid, they are very smart at marketing, holding off a few features (auto off when play stops, multi device simultaneous connection, USB playback) most of which the competition already has, for the next v4 model in 6 mths time...

Feb 6, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #1,355 of 2,082
XM3 long battery life really put other ANC headphones to shame in comparison. It's a deal breaker for ppl want to use it outdoor without charging it every single day or every few days. Fast charge 10 mins and you'll get a few hours usage another big plus point.

Also with bigger battery capacity and higher current fast charging, there's always a risk of safety concerns. So in protecting user and to prolong XM3 battery lifespan, Sony engineers well thought about it so they purposely set it to you can't use XM3 while you charging it. Thumbs up for Sony engineers :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Again, please give me one reason why this is a better approach than allowing users to listen to music while charging? PW7 has close to 20 hours battery life and allows to charge using USB while listening to music through BT. Today, while charging XM3, I had two wires coming out of the headphone (USB-C to charge, 3.5mm for sound) and felt kinda ridiculous.

EDIT: Yes, I also agree that they are not stupid :) but there are certainly missed opportunities in convenience.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #1,356 of 2,082
Using the EQ changes the actual codec ?? It goes from AAC to SBC on iPhone ?
Source ?
If you have a chance, try Android flagship phones, LDAC connection SQ far superior to iPhone AAC connection.

Feb 6, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #1,357 of 2,082
Agreed, they are not stupid, they are very smart at marketing, holding off a few features (auto off when play stops, multi device simultaneous connection, USB playback) most of which the competition already has, for the next v4 model in 6 mths time...
For me, auto off when play stop are pain in the axx, USB playback too.
Ya so excited, me and others have the chance to upgrade again.

Feb 6, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #1,358 of 2,082
Again, please give me one reason why this is a better approach than allowing users to listen to music while charging? PW7 has close to 20 hours battery life and allows to charge using USB while listening to music through BT. Today, while charging XM3, I had two wires coming out of the headphone (USB-C to charge, 3.5mm for sound) and felt kinda ridiculous.

EDIT: Yes, I also agree that they are not stupid :) but there are certainly missed opportunities in convenience.
"higher current fast charging, there's always a risk of safety concerns"
Have you ever heard of Lithium battery explosion? If you do, you don't want your head to be exploded when listening to P7 while charging right?

Feb 6, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #1,359 of 2,082
Yes I guess that high current fast charging is OK just as long as it only burns your house down whilst it sits on a desk, or are we supposed to keep it inside a dustbin whilst it charges?
Surely the smart Sony engineers know how to limit and control lithium charging by now, even though they didn’t back in the early minidisc days...
Anyway if it’s possible to charge and use at the same time using two cables I guess that they didn’t really think about the dangers very well?

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #1,360 of 2,082
Actually, the better approach would be to auto power off regardless of a BT connection is active or not. When I use it at home or work I often leave my computer for meetings or other distractions and it would suck to have to turn off the BT connection every single time and turn it back on :triportsad:. Yesterday, I was using the headphone and left the computer for a while which ended being overnight and when I got back the battery was almost depleted. If it shuts off automatically like P7W all I had to do was to come back next day, turn it on then enjoy the music without having to recharge. It's all about convenience. Why force the users to take extra steps when it's not necessary?
Probably XM3 are designed for mobile users in mind. Perhaps Sony engineers can add this feature for PC user like you.

Btw, I don't listening to my headphone while working in my office or outside as it make me look very unprofessional by doing so. It's very impressive for me to imaging how you can deal with your working environment. Are you working in a sound/movie studio?

Feb 6, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #1,361 of 2,082
Yes I guess that high current fast charging is OK just as long as it only burns your house down whilst it sits on a desk, or are we supposed to keep it inside a dustbin whilst it charges?
Surely the smart Sony engineers know how to limit and control lithium charging by now, even though they didn’t back in the early minidisc days...
Anyway if it’s possible to charge and use at the same time using two cables I guess that they didn’t really think about the dangers very well?
Did you see anyone charge phone, PC or anything with lithium battery in a fire-safe marked dustbin?
There's a limit to do thing that can and can't, smart Sony engineers doesn't mean they can do whatever they like. There's always safety committee there to double check your implementation and mfg safety rules to follow. Product safety always a concern and big challenge, something that you can't do like sci-fi movies, and unlike in the movies ppl do die when explosion happened.

Feb 6, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #1,362 of 2,082
"higher current fast charging, there's always a risk of safety concerns"
Have you ever heard of Lithium battery explosion? If you do, you don't want your head to be exploded when listening to P7 while charging right?

LOL, you do realize Sony still allows you to still listen to music while charging using wired connection? Also, I guess B&W engineers don't know what they are doing so they risk their headphones blowing up while being used? :dt880smile:

Feb 6, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #1,363 of 2,082
Probably XM3 are designed for mobile users in mind. Perhaps Sony engineers can add this feature for PC user like you.

Btw, I don't listening to my headphone while working in my office or outside as it make me look very unprofessional by doing so. It's very impressive for me to imaging how you can deal with your working environment. Are you working in a sound/movie studio?

Even on my phone I don't turn off BT because I have other accessories that use BT. So you turn off your BT just to allow the auto shut off to work??? How does that make sense?
I can see that you are a Sony fan but again, with XM3 they could've done more convenience wise.

Feb 6, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #1,364 of 2,082
LOL, you do realize Sony still allows you to still listen to music while charging using wired connection? Also, I guess B&W engineers don't know what they are doing so they risk their headphones blowing up while being used? :dt880smile:
LOL.. maybe Sony engineers missed that, that's v5.x to the fix to eliminate that. :dt880smile:
P7 with smaller battery and probably B&W didn't care to much about safety concern too.

Feb 6, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #1,365 of 2,082
Newforce perhaps you work for Sony? Maybe that’s why you defend them and their user-unfriendly design decisions so strongly...
Look, I have a pair of Sony 1000mk3 and they are very good, they have excellent comfort, very good audio and outstanding ANC.
I also have Sennheiser PXC550 and B&W P7w, all are very good, all have plusses and minuses.
Sony could have been a bit smarter with one or two user features that the competition already has. I am sure they will put that right with the next model...
In fact the PXC550’s have everything the Sony’s have and far more in user convience, including almost 30hr battery life and full useability whilst charging, no need to implement fast charging...
Guess what, they also have audio pause when you take them off and no ‘off’ switch as such, just turn the ear cups to power off...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back