SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Jan 17, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #1,278 of 2,082
I am not personally feeling like there is a difference in sound after the update. Still sounds dark and excessively bassy to me without EQ.

My opinion of these headphones seems to change by the moment. Probably because they are such a stark contrast to my CD3k's which are my most used headphone. The good news, and what makes me like this model is that with a bit of EQ, while they are still dark and bassy, with detail that feels a little digital, they are ultimately tuned such that it's easy just to sit back and enjoy the music.

Jan 18, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #1,279 of 2,082
The more tracks I've listening to the more I am convinced the new v4.1.1 firmware is with reduced bass boost and livelier high

Screenshot_20190118-142105_Samsung Music.jpg
Screenshot_20190118-142321_Samsung Music.jpg

Jan 18, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #1,281 of 2,082
Like other brands, I don't think Sony will list out everything they've done in the new update, except for the major one.

Jan 18, 2019 at 3:54 AM Post #1,282 of 2,082
Benefits and improvements from the latest update
  • Amazon Alexa is now supported
  • Voice guidance language selection is now supported
That's about all for this tiny update (2.8 to 3.3MB)
Can’t say I notice a difference in this update which all seems rather pointless really with no fixes for the main issues of the cold weather behaviour and awkward Bluetooth implementation.
Pretty sure if Sony had tweaked anything related to EQ or ANC performance it would be mentioned somehow in the release notes - even if it was under the generic heading of ‘bug fixes and performance updates’.

Jan 18, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #1,283 of 2,082
IMHO No audio gear manufacturer would want to admit they got a sound signature wrong.

Jan 18, 2019 at 4:50 AM Post #1,284 of 2,082
I rarely post anything, I'm more of a silent reader, but that voice guidance setting is so unbelievably stupid I kinda have to vent a bit...

On disabling voice guidance you have:
  • voice guidance and beeps on power on/off
  • voice guidance and beeps every single time you use the ANC optimization
  • no voice guidance and actually, no beeps at all, when switching between ANC, ambient mode and ANC off
Who came up with that? Give me voice guidance when I turn that feature on. And give me beeps and no stupid voice when I explicitely turn it off.
The sounds are actually quite memorable and I definitely need no voice guidance every damn time im using the optimization or when I turn on/off headphones that I use every single day. But I get absolutely no feedback on toggling between three different settings with the anc button? Come on. Thats just stupid.

Jan 18, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #1,285 of 2,082
IMHO No audio gear manufacturer would want to admit they got a sound signature wrong.
So, just because the stock signature isn’t to your personal taste (although I think your own views changed on this over the course of the thread) it doesn’t mean Sony got it wrong. Far from it in fact - this is a mass market headphone with a mass market sound signature which average consumers (and reviewers by all accounts) seem to love. Given they way these headphones have been selling, Sony absolutely nailed it sound signature wise.

Should point out the XM3 isn’t really to my taste either - muddy bass yet no real sub bass, recessed mids and not enough sparkle on the high end.

Jan 18, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #1,286 of 2,082
We are all on a quest for great sound.

Jan 18, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #1,288 of 2,082
I really like the sound signature, I disagree a little with others, I do think it has a nice level of sub bass present and although it does have an exaggerated bass compared to most - I think it makes it a great musical headphone. I also don't think the mids and highs lack detail or are that recessed.

Detail wise they are not a patch on Senn 660s or some of my iem's etc however they do have a wonderful engaging musical quality to them.

Not sure if the update has changed the sound much, at a push maybe the bass has been tamed a little but I couldn't say 100% that this is the case.

As per usual with these threads, others will hear differently, just my own experience really.

Jan 18, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #1,290 of 2,082
I really like the sound signature, I disagree a little with others, I do think it has a nice level of sub bass present and although it does have an exaggerated bass compared to most - I think it makes it a great musical headphone. I also don't think the mids and highs lack detail or are that recessed.
Me too, I like the sound signature with audiophile recordings. Not so with bass-head pop music.

Not sure if the update has changed the sound much, at a push maybe the bass has been tamed a little but I couldn't say 100% that this is the case.

As per usual with these threads, others will hear differently, just my own experience really.
That's why I used the words "Reduced bass boost" not "Eliminate bass boost".

Maybe I put it this way, XM3 bass from 250hz towards 20Hz has +2~4dB boost (according to rtings review), with new v4.1.1 firmware probably at +1~2dB boost.

SQ preference are different bcoz ppl are different.

Also, Sony have wide range of headphones for different consumers need. As for 1000XM3, it is aiming at mid-fi users who think stronger bass mean better, you can see why the past few years Beat Audio "Bass-Head headphones are super popular. For audiophile users, they can always try Z1R, just like some say I have a HDxxx, SRxxx, DTxxx and so on...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back