SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Dec 5, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #1,021 of 2,082
When you increase the room inside the cups, it should reduce the bass right? I noticed that is the reason why AKG K7-- series sound not so much bass. It has much wider sized cups than HD6-- series for example.
Generally true but I think because the drivers are sealed in place in a small housing that has the pcb in as well makes it slightly different, the bass is still there after the micropore mod but its tighter and more controlled so the mids and highs especially vocals are more revealed and gives it a more open sound. I've tried this tape mod on quite a few sets of Sony headphones over the years and it seems to have the same result reeling in the bass, it turns the Z7's into a great set of headphones.

Dec 5, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #1,022 of 2,082
Today's mod for the headfiers who unlike me care about their warranty is a nice fully reversable one that adds a bit more to the cushioning and slightly and I mean slighty gives a bit more air to the headphones.
15440110394772931821217737881524.jpg
Tubular rubber elasticated cord !
15440111451773720349601994985798.jpg
Measure a length to fit inside the cup between the pad and the housing and feed it in pushing it against the inside to form a ring around the insides .
15440113218528927680580443531256.jpg You get an extra 5mm or for you guys in Trump's playground 0.2 of an inch, not mind blowing but it does make a difference. You can get it in different diameters I'm using the 8mm one.

Dec 6, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #1,023 of 2,082
Does also clear bass setting without other EQ behave same way and makes the cans switch to SBC? If so, this makes the app useless for me.

My 1000xm3 is on the way and will be in my hands in a few days. I can't wait to listen my favorite music on 1000xm3 :)

BTW, Really nice modding posts. Thanks for sharing your experiences, appreciated! I look forward to see your further findings.

btw if you do an EQ on the Headphone app, does the BT connection go to SBC instead of LDAC?

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 2:52 AM Post #1,024 of 2,082
If you use the headphone app and wanted to change any of the sound features then you loose the Ldac sound quality priority, which is a shame especially if you bought the headphones to get the best quality sound out of them ( Ldac) I'm personally not a lover or user of EQ I prefer to go the good source & flac/ Wav/ Dsd with a minimum 16/44 and find a good match with headphones ( why I have a decent selection of iems and full size headphones at my disposal) this has been my only second venture into wireless the first being the X2's which I only had for a month before I'd given up on them and why I knew I'd have to mod these this time. Imo Sony have always aimed their sets at people who like the fun warm bassy sound and not the audiophile brigade, your never going to get a true wireless audiophile set to compete with the likes of Audeze or Campfire/ Grado or most mid / high end wired sets but with a little modification you can still keep the fun musical element of the X range but just tame that bass to where it should be.
The mods I've done are non reversable due to the cutting etc but you can improve them without sacrificing the warranty by microporing the inside of the cups to stop the frequency bounce and taking out the foam and just putting a small lightweight piece you can buy cut to fit at the side of the drivers then leave the dust guards attached to the ring and pads so all you've got to do is remove the tape and put back the original foam and it's back to stock. These cans are in no way suitable for classical music as is but I listened to a few acoustic and classical pieces last night with a pair of stock and my modded pair and although I've better cans for this genre of music the X3'S modded are more than acceptable. Anyway that just my opinion and we all hear differently so there's no real wrongs or rights in what you want to hear, main thing is just enjoy your music !

Dec 6, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #1,025 of 2,082
If you use the headphone app and wanted to change any of the sound features then you loose the Ldac sound quality priority, which is a shame especially if you bought the headphones to get the best quality sound out of them ( Ldac) I'm personally not a lover or user of EQ I prefer to go the good source & flac/ Wav/ Dsd with a minimum 16/44 and find a good match with headphones ( why I have a decent selection of iems and full size headphones at my disposal) this has been my only second venture into wireless the first being the X2's which I only had for a month before I'd given up on them and why I knew I'd have to mod these this time. Imo Sony have always aimed their sets at people who like the fun warm bassy sound and not the audiophile brigade, your never going to get a true wireless audiophile set to compete with the likes of Audeze or Campfire/ Grado or most mid / high end wired sets but with a little modification you can still keep the fun musical element of the X range but just tame that bass to where it should be.
The mods I've done are non reversable due to the cutting etc but you can improve them without sacrificing the warranty by microporing the inside of the cups to stop the frequency bounce and taking out the foam and just putting a small lightweight piece you can buy cut to fit at the side of the drivers then leave the dust guards attached to the ring and pads so all you've got to do is remove the tape and put back the original foam and it's back to stock. These cans are in no way suitable for classical music as is but I listened to a few acoustic and classical pieces last night with a pair of stock and my modded pair and although I've better cans for this genre of music the X3'S modded are more than acceptable. Anyway that just my opinion and we all hear differently so there's no real wrongs or rights in what you want to hear, main thing is just enjoy your music !
Maybe it's time for you to drill a hole at each earcup to to achieve your aim?

Dec 6, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #1,027 of 2,082
Dec 6, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #1,028 of 2,082
Incorrect, the hole will help to reduce muddy bass
It will increase the bass overall hence why they are called bass ports plus the driver is sealed in the back with the pcb so adding them there isn't an option, it already has small bass ports on the top of the cups covering these drops the low end too much. Adding damping tames bass adding holes increases it in my experience I've added holes to grados to increase the bass and damping to Fostex Beyer Sony Abyss and Denon to tame it, modding is very individual thing for me as I don't hear over 16k now due to my ears being used for 49 years, but let me know what your findings are if you decide to add a few extra holes.

Dec 6, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #1,029 of 2,082
while plugged in, how much better are the 1000mx3 supposed to sound?

what is the optimal setup for best SQ -- wires plugged in, power on, ANC on ? i'm wondering the facts since I may getting placebo effect

---

I'm also considering returning the headphones even though I love them to try out IEM options in the $400 range. Any recommendations ?

Dec 6, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #1,030 of 2,082

what is the optimal setup for best SQ -- wires plugged in, power on, ANC on ? i'm wondering the facts since I may getting placebo effect

---

I'm also considering returning the headphones even though I love them to try out IEM options in the $400 range. Any recommendations ?
Plugged in personally I thought they sucked but I didn't get them for that plus my wired ones are £500 - £2000 so it's not really a fair comparison but not good nevertheless.

Dec 6, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #1,032 of 2,082
They sound a little better while plugged into a high quality external DAC and amp, but it is not an obvious difference.

Plugged in personally I thought they sucked
Were they powered off? Power on (ANC on or off) is necessary for the active equalization that gives them proper response. Passive wired with power off does indeed sound bad (there was a discussion earlier in the thread).

Dec 6, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #1,033 of 2,082
Final post on the mods, fitted the Dekoni leather V6'S and they fit perfectly a bit more cushioning than stock and have a better feel when on and they encapsulate your ear better ( well mine ) and give good isolation, couple that up with the mods I've done and they have turned out to be a decent set of wireless headphones, thought I'd try them out on a few tracks and ended up listening still 2 hours later with no listening fatigue or sweaty ears at
all and truly enjoyable to use

Dec 7, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #1,035 of 2,082
Man o man all this mod talk. Just get a pair of headphones that sound good in the first place. Try the Aventho wireless for Eg.
I've got plenty that sound good, the point here is I needed over ears and Ldac, tried the Aventho/ Bose/ BW prior to this and all had a lot of pros and cons and the X3'S fitted my requirements better but the modding was a must for me. Coming off this thread now as I've nothing left to offer so everyone can breathe easy again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back