SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Oct 31, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #781 of 2,082
So, I brought my PX's in today instead of the MK3s that I've been using earlier this week, and having them back-to-back on the bus, the MK3 wins. I'll be returning my PX. They sound better in a quiet room, but the MK3s with no bus noise sound better than the PXs and minimal bus noise (on Office ANC). Plus the comfort is night and day between the two. I'll miss the wear sensor on the PX, though (never had any false positives for me).

Nov 1, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #782 of 2,082
So, I brought my PX's in today instead of the MK3s that I've been using earlier this week, and having them back-to-back on the bus, the MK3 wins. I'll be returning my PX. They sound better in a quiet room, but the MK3s with no bus noise sound better than the PXs and minimal bus noise (on Office ANC). Plus the comfort is night and day between the two. I'll miss the wear sensor on the PX, though (never had any false positives for me).
Are you referring to the PXC 550s our something else?

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #785 of 2,082
@dubbzy104 I owned the PX and returned them due to their abysmal comfort, hard to fathom how they were released at that price point with such poor comfort? While I loved the sound of the PX, I do think the xM3 is just excellent sounding and if there are sound quality advantages with the PX, for many people they would never get to know this as the comfort would be just too distracting. Within minutes of putting the PX on, as loose as possible while still sealing properly, the pain started and quickly built to the point where it was an absolute distraction. What a shame. Hopefully B&W has been paying attention to the significant amount of negative impressions of the comfort and never again sacrifice comfort so much simply to get the needed seal.

Nov 2, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #786 of 2,082
Technically, what combo should give you the best sound out of these wired and Bluetooth? Wired with or without NC on? Bluetooth with or without NC on? Ambient sound on at all? As I move through these options I feel some of these options sound better than others, or am I just tricking myself

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #787 of 2,082
Just got my pair of XM3s in from Amazon after a month waiting, yay! Unfortunately when I put them on, I felt the foam over the driver up against my ear right away. My ears are tiny and don't really stick out. I took them off to inspect them and the foam over the driver is sort of lumpy in places (and mostly non-existent in other places) and the foam is pressed up real close to the earcup ring. There doesn't seem to be much room between the two. Is this a common thing? I've already packed them up to return them because I definitely can't wear this pair and I'm thinking of finding a Best Buy or some other place where I can demo them locally. It's too bad too because otherwise they were so lovely.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #788 of 2,082
@dubbzy104 I owned the PX and returned them due to their abysmal comfort, hard to fathom how they were released at that price point with such poor comfort? While I loved the sound of the PX, I do think the xM3 is just excellent sounding and if there are sound quality advantages with the PX, for many people they would never get to know this as the comfort would be just too distracting. Within minutes of putting the PX on, as loose as possible while still sealing properly, the pain started and quickly built to the point where it was an absolute distraction. What a shame. Hopefully B&W has been paying attention to the significant amount of negative impressions of the comfort and never again sacrifice comfort so much simply to get the needed seal.

My thoughts exactly. Personally, they weren't super-uncomfortable, but I definitely felt hotspots on my head and around my ears after 30-45 minutes of use. The strange thing is, it seems like that would be such an easy thing to fix. I wonder if B&W will ever release a Version 2 at some point.

Nov 2, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #789 of 2,082
Just received my pair from UK-Amazon. Definitely an improvement over the XM2s (which I managed to sell taking a small hit from the original price) in terms of comfort as there is a lot less clamping force and the lower weight combined with softer/more padding makes these headphones feel very light. With the XM2s I have tried on a pair of Bose QC35 IIs a few times and the Bose do feel lighter&softer although so much so that they actually felt weird on my head (it felt like I wasn't wearing headphones but some sort of ear flaps. The touch controls have taken a step back from the XM2s as it's both harder and less comfy to swipe, tap or cover the right cup. With the XM2s I didn't really have to touch the cup to get Quick Attention but with the XM3 I have to make good contact with the right cup with my palm. The overall structure is plasticy but a lot less creaky than the XM2s.

The SQ seems clearer with more presence when compared to the XM2s. Oh yeah, the bass... It's indeed too punchy and all-over-the-place. However, using my Anroid phone's built-in EQ and my Mac's eqMac2 EQ app, I was able to get the bass under control. The ANC is amazing. Just now I have a loud dish washing machine running. Using the XM3s I cannot hear it. When I go right next to it, I only hear a very faint humming sound.

I tested the mic with a voice recorder app. I'm glad to report that the recording did not have any echo. There was a slight effect of 'muffled' sound (like someone had put a cloth over the mic) but I did hear every word I had uttered clearly. I'd imagine I don't have to return my unit as the issues some have reported seem a lot worse and no-one seems to be saying that a perfect unit would have a mic that would produce crystal-clear sound.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #790 of 2,082
I just got home with two new pairs of WH1000xm3's from John Lewis! I bought some weeks ago and had and issue with popping in the left ear. I leave the country on Tuesday for 6 months so as soon as they came back in stock I bought two in case one had an issue. I'll take the there back on the way to the airport. Its a bit crazy I know, but Im desperate :)

So far I haven't noticed any popping issues, and I'm guessing this is a new batch as they've only just got them in stock and the supplied cable is different I think. So hopefully they've fixed issues with clicking/popping.

I do feel a bit of tension and discomfort around my jaw or the below my ear. But I have serious aw tension problems anyway. They aren't as light and comfortable as the Bose, but then they probably block out a lot more sound by being so sealed. Th eBose did not feel sealed at all to me.

I will report back with any more findings

Nov 2, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #791 of 2,082
Just received my pair from UK-Amazon. Definitely an improvement over the XM2s (which I managed to sell taking a small hit from the original price) in terms of comfort as there is a lot less clamping force and the lower weight combined with softer/more padding makes these headphones feel very light. With the XM2s I have tried on a pair of Bose QC35 IIs a few times and the Bose do feel lighter&softer although so much so that they actually felt weird on my head (it felt like I wasn't wearing headphones but some sort of ear flaps. The touch controls have taken a step back from the XM2s as it's both harder and less comfy to swipe, tap or cover the right cup. With the XM2s I didn't really have to touch the cup to get Quick Attention but with the XM3 I have to make good contact with the right cup with my palm. The overall structure is plasticy but a lot less creaky than the XM2s.

The SQ seems clearer with more presence when compared to the XM2s. Oh yeah, the bass... It's indeed too punchy and all-over-the-place. However, using my Anroid phone's built-in EQ and my Mac's eqMac2 EQ app, I was able to get the bass under control. The ANC is amazing. Just now I have a loud dish washing machine running. Using the XM3s I cannot hear it. When I go right next to it, I only hear a very faint humming sound.

I tested the mic with a voice recorder app. I'm glad to report that the recording did not have any echo. There was a slight effect of 'muffled' sound (like someone had put a cloth over the mic) but I did hear every word I had uttered clearly. I'd imagine I don't have to return my unit as the issues some have reported seem a lot worse and no-one seems to be saying that a perfect unit would have a mic that would produce crystal-clear sound.

Are yo on an android phone? How did you test the mic, as I cant seem to choose what mic I'm using in Skype or any recording app. So Im unsure whether its using my phones mic or the mic on the headphones. Any advice?

Nov 2, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #792 of 2,082
Are yo on an android phone? How did you test the mic, as I cant seem to choose what mic I'm using in Skype or any recording app. So Im unsure whether its using my phones mic or the mic on the headphones. Any advice?

Yes, I am. Running Android Oreo 8.0. Got the idea to test the mic using a voice recorder from a Youtube review of these headphones. I'm using an app called Easy Voice Recorder (Pro version). The default setting in these apps seems to be the phone mic even if BT headphones are connected. However, in the app settings you can change the mic from the phone mic to Bluetooth.

Nov 2, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #793 of 2,082
Yes, I am. Running Android Oreo 8.0. Got the idea to test the mic using a voice recorder from a Youtube review of these headphones. I'm using an app called Easy Voice Recorder (Pro version). The default setting in these apps seems to be the phone mic even if BT headphones are connected. However, in the app settings you can change the mic from the phone mic to Bluetooth.

Thanks I check two voice recording apps I use regularly and they have no option to choose. I'll download your one. Hopefully no echo issues here either

Also if anyone from the UK is looking to buy, John Lewis just got them back in stock and you get a 2 year warranty which is better than anywhere else I've found

Nov 2, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #794 of 2,082

So I just tested the mic on both my Sony Xm3's, and they sound identical, but not good! Very muffled and rough. Is this similar to yours? Link below

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1NaTOKXXblG

It can't be a fault if its on both and identical. I think as most people have said its just a really bad mic unfortunately

Nov 2, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #795 of 2,082
So I just tested the mic on both my Sony Xm3's, and they sound identical, but not good! Very muffled and rough. Is this similar to yours? Link below

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1NaTOKXXblG

It can't be a fault if its on both and identical. I think as most people have said its just a really bad mic unfortunately

Sounded pretty similar to my test results. Most people with serious mic issues seem to either say that the other person either heard an echo or couldn't understand the speech. As we do not have neither of these issues, it would appear that our mics are as Sony (unfortunately) intended. However, for me, this is not a deal breaker as I rarely take (or make) calls via headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back