SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Oct 16, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #646 of 2,082
Excellent summary!

I agree in general, however I am not trying to make a one size fits all with these headphones. They certainly do reduce noise very very effectively and if this is your main “probleml” don’t hessitate to try them! The sound is also very god when eq’ed (for example with power amp). When you don’t need the nc, there are other and soundwise better headphone options - according to my ears

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #647 of 2,082
Watched A Star is Born last week, but couldn't find it soundtrack CD anyway. No choice have to get it from Taiwan.

Ripping it in FLAC0 now. Yeah! ✌

Like all others Pop CD I've purchased recently years,
Black Panther OST, Maroon 5 - Red Pill Blues, especially Drake Scorpion and so on...
A Star Is Born OST is still with the same commercial approach, Heavy Bass tuned :frowning2:

Diggin' My Grave.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #650 of 2,082
Can anybody else who have source with Aptx HD please confirm this? Does Aptx HD work after EQing in Sony app?

My kind apologies for bumping again but this is a deal breaker for me. Can anyone with Android 8.0+ phone tell me if Aptx HD works even after EQing in Sony app?

I'm planning to buy this tomorrow

Oct 17, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #651 of 2,082
My kind apologies for bumping again but this is a deal breaker for me. Can anyone with Android 8.0+ phone tell me if Aptx HD works even after EQing in Sony app?

I'm planning to buy this tomorrow

Hi

If you use aptx, aptx hd or LDAC you won't have any control over the eq using the Sony app although there are a number of media players for Android which do allow for eq adjustments over bluetooth.

Oct 17, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #652 of 2,082
Hi

If you use aptx, aptx hd or LDAC you won't have any control over the eq using the Sony app although there are a number of media players for Android which do allow for eq adjustments over bluetooth.

+1

I just switched from LDAC to Aptx and no EQ from inside the headphone app.

Oct 17, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #653 of 2,082
EQ is only for the SBC codec.

Oct 17, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #654 of 2,082
Oct 17, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #655 of 2,082
In addition, Samsung phones have an equalizer in the sound settings.

EQ in the Sony app is very coarse (adjustments are only 400, 1K, 2.5K, 6.3K, 16K). If you can use a different equalizer, it would give you better control anyway.

Oct 17, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #657 of 2,082
Thank You everyone for your response

EQ in the Sony app is very coarse (adjustments are only 400, 1K, 2.5K, 6.3K, 16K). If you can use a different equalizer, it would give you better control anyway.

True, If I want to reduce bass I need to reduce around 200 Hz as from rtings I can see that bass is boosted in that range but Sony's App EQ starts from 400 which is not going to be useful

One more thing, Is Sony's App EQ is more of a hardware equalizer? because I feel it directly operates headphone's chip to adjust EQ and thats the reason connection is getting downgraded to SBC. Or is it just another DSP?

Oct 18, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #658 of 2,082
True, If I want to reduce bass I need to reduce around 200 Hz as from rtings I can see that bass is boosted in that range but Sony's App EQ starts from 400 which is not going to be useful
The Sony app EQ has a vaguely-titled "Clear Bass" slider (which goes from -10 to 0 to 10) which can be used to dial the bass back quite a bit. I'm not sure exactly what frequency range it controls.

Oct 18, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #660 of 2,082
This seems to be a more active thread so I have also posted the below post here as i could do with some guidance.

Hi Guys , I have just got the XM2 and I am very pleased with the sound quality. I always knew there would be a SQ compromise by going wireless but I am surprised how good they sound
I do have a few issues though and would love some guidance. I have no idea how far a wireless signal is supposed to go but I am rather disappointed that walking about 4 or 5 meters away from the source results in a dropout. I have them set to stable connection preference too. Is this normal for a wireless HP. Am i just expecting too much from them.
The second is I dont like how often it changes mode......can i disable this. This interupts the music and I think it happens too often when i am doing stuff around the house.
I use it with my IBasso DX200 mainly to use offline Tidal albums. I have Tidal HIFI and I am not sure if I am maximising the sound quality. I have looked at posts about LDAC., etc but find myself a little confused.
Also can i turn the touch control off??

Last thing is I would like to pair then with my IPhone too and I did this, but when I went to use them with my DX200 after this I had to go through the whole connection process again. Surely they should connect automatically once I have set them up.

Any guidance would be appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back