SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Oct 11, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #601 of 2,082
Oct 12, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #602 of 2,082
I find the bass a bit heavy but I think the XM3 is still a darned fine sounding headphone. So I am another Head-fit member who is happy with their XM3...

Oct 12, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #603 of 2,082
Getting the bass tamed is very easy and once done the xM3 sounds brilliant. I have decided to keep them as there are more things that I like and less that I don't. Seriously, yes the stock bass signature is ridiculous, anybody saying otherwise I have to say I find shocking, the bass is certainly well overcooked, no doubt at all about that. Again, sorry to keep repeating myself, once adjusted, which is very, very easy to achieve this headphone sounds amazing and the noise cancellation seems very effective to me. I use these with public transit (buses) as a frame of reference.

With the iPhone 8 it stays on aac, according to the Sony app.
After listening to various music genres, LDAC streaming is the best sounding codec.

Oct 12, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #604 of 2,082
Couldn't stop try getting 1000XM3 to deliver more, I starting re-ripping my CD collection into FLAC with 0 compression. Listening to The Weavers Guantaramera, able to hear the foot tapping on the stage sound much clean and clear in Bluetooth LDAC streaming is truly amazing. :)

20181012_140943.jpg

Oct 12, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #605 of 2,082
I am using LDAC (not that I think it makes any difference in sound quality) and I use the EQ on my phone as provided through Onkyo HF Player.

I have 2 questions

1. If I reduce the bass through Sony app and then again change the codec to LDAC, will it work? I mean is it possible to change to LDAC after EQing the bass down
2. Can I save EQ in Sony App so that from next time I don't need to work on both Bass and LDAC

I am using TIDAL which doesn't have EQ and I have to rely on Sony App's EQ. If both 1 and 2 are not possible then this is a deal breaker for me

Oct 12, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #606 of 2,082
Couldn't stop try getting 1000XM3 to deliver more, I starting re-ripping my CD collection into FLAC with 0 compression. Listening to The Weavers Guantaramera, able to hear the foot tapping on the stage sound much clean and clear in Bluetooth LDAC streaming is truly amazing. :)

Why 0? I think the levels of compression effect the encoding speed & not playback. I use level 8 for my FLAC rips.

Oct 12, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #607 of 2,082
Why 0? I think the levels of compression effect the encoding speed & not playback. I use level 8 for my FLAC rips.

Isn't flac lossless???

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #608 of 2,082
The reason, the higher compression level the phone utilize more processing power to decode, which also mean drain more phone battery

Oct 12, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #609 of 2,082
I have 2 questions

1. If I reduce the bass through Sony app and then again change the codec to LDAC, will it work? I mean is it possible to change to LDAC after EQing the bass down
2. Can I save EQ in Sony App so that from next time I don't need to work on both Bass and LDAC

I am using TIDAL which doesn't have EQ and I have to rely on Sony App's EQ. If both 1 and 2 are not possible then this is a deal breaker for me
If you have UAPP you can listen to Tidal and use the EQ.

Oct 13, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #610 of 2,082
No. EQ in the Sony app only works in SBC.

If you have UAPP you can listen to Tidal and use the EQ.
If you have a Samsung phone, another option is to use the built-in equalizer in the sound settings.

Oct 13, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #611 of 2,082
If you have a Samsung phone, another option is to use the built-in equalizer in the sound settings.

I just checked these settings on my Note 8 and was impressed at how rich they are. Are these not overridden if the Sony app is installed/used?

BTW, I don't yet have the XM3 (I decided to wait a few months to see if there are reports of headband cracking), but it's encouraging to know there's a way to fine tune the sound even if LDAC is used.

Oct 13, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #613 of 2,082
For Android users, certainly Onkyo HF Player and Neutron are both excellent choices of player software that both include advanced equalizers. I don't hear any difference between aptX and LDAC, personally, so if you can use the Sony app with aptX I would feel pretty good about that, although I haven't used the Sony EQ as I am more than pleased with what Onkyo HF Player offers in that respect.

Oct 13, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #614 of 2,082
I tried them today. I am convinced nobody at Sony uses these headphones because my ears touch the drivers again, just like the WH-1000XM2.

That is really unacceptable on a pair headphones. The type of headphones with the same problem are Beats headphone which is not something to be associated with.

Oct 13, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #615 of 2,082
I tried them today. I am convinced nobody at Sony uses these headphones because my ears touch the drivers again, just like the WH-1000XM2.

That is really unacceptable on a pair headphones. The type of headphones with the same problem are Beats headphone which is not something to be associated with.
My ears don't touch the drivers so maybe the testers have smallish ears?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back