SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Oct 10, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #572 of 2,082
I can't believe whathifi just wrote this, I'm never trusting them again for sound:

"Tonally, there’s a generous extra helping of lovely, deep bass, which helps the WH-1000XM3s produce a satisfying rendition of SBTRKT’s throbbing Trials Of The Past. But this extra bass never threatens to unbalance the presentation – instead it simply reinforces the overall delivery, adding weight and richness in a pleasant, natural and, dare we say it, analogue way."
whathifi is full of sh**. Their reviews are made of 99% fluff. Sometimes I have doubts they're actually listening to the equipment they're testing.

Oct 10, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #573 of 2,082
Wow, not sure what you listen to normally, but something was wrong there. Are they equal to my Utopias or Stax? No, but they cost $300 and have noise cancelling, Bluetooth, and sound much better than the previous model. They definitely are not closed in or congested. Yes, the bass is up a bit, a bit like my Z1r’s but not in any way annoying. Also,they are now 95% as comfortable as the bose.
I heard just about the opposite of everything you just wrote. So have many others. One more thing - the bass distorts on bass heavy electronic music. I think the sound is leaking and feeding back through the mics. "The bass is up a bit"??? It absolutely dominates the entire spectrum like molasses. It also lacks any kind of definition.

Oct 10, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #575 of 2,082
I own the Senn Pxc 550. Worth the upgrade guys?
I'm thinking of buying them in BF (if there will be any offer)

Too much demand at the moment, doubt that it will be available.

Oct 10, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #576 of 2,082
I heard just about the opposite of everything you just wrote. So have many others. One more thing - the bass distorts on bass heavy electronic music. I think the sound is leaking and feeding back through the mics. "The bass is up a bit"??? It absolutely dominates the entire spectrum like molasses. It also lacks any kind of definition.

I guess that is why they just aren’t selling and have had so many bad reviews...
Oh, wait a second...

Oct 10, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #577 of 2,082
I guess that is why they just aren’t selling and have had so many bad reviews...
Oh, wait a second...
I guess that's why everyone on headfi who owns them is saying they sound thick and congested, is reaching for their eq's and deciding whether or not to return them. Who knows? Maybe you like big bass that doesn't have good definition and bleeds into the rest of the spectrum. The z1r has that too, but not as bad as the xm3. However, it seems your view doesn't reflect the majority here at headfi. But I'm glad you like it and hope you feel you haven't wasted your money. Good listening.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #580 of 2,082
Oct 10, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #581 of 2,082
I guess that's why everyone on headfi who owns them is saying they sound thick and congested, is reaching for their eq's and deciding whether or not to return them. Who knows? Maybe you like big bass that doesn't have good definition and bleeds into the rest of the spectrum. The z1r has that too, but not as bad as the xm3. However, it seems your view doesn't reflect the majority here at headfi. But I'm glad you like it and hope you feel you haven't wasted your money. Good listening.

Genuinely curious, why all the anger?

I’d just suggest folks listen for themselves...

Oct 10, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #582 of 2,082
One more thing I am hearing is that when you adjust equalizer then the connection gets downgraded to SBC

Is that true? In that case whats the point of buying this high quality headphone

Oct 10, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #585 of 2,082
Yep.

the AKG N700NC only went with SBC.
Pair 1000XM3 with phone like Samsung S9 series and Note 9, use LDAC codec in Developer Options will get the best sounding.

Some said 1000XM3 was bass heavy, but after trying my many Audiophile recordings CD, some gold edition and Japan press CD, the bass sounded just right amount, when compare the bass amount playback in an Audiophile grade stereo system which consist of 12 inch bass floor standing stereo speakers.

Which mean there are many CD recorded in much heavy bass for commercial attractions purpose, and 1000XM3 just able to reveal how much heavier the bass really are off the lines.

Below are some of my CD collection (out of thousands) . Some of them in gold or special edition

20181010_123957.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back