SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Oct 11, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #587 of 2,082
Pair 1000XM3 with phone like Samsung S9 series and Note 9, use LDAC codec in Developer Options will get the best sounding.

Some said 1000XM3 was bass heavy, but after trying my many Audiophile recordings CD, some gold edition and Japan press CD, the bass sounded just right amount, when compare the bass amount playback in an Audiophile grade stereo system which consist of 12 inch bass floor standing stereo speakers.

Which mean there are many CD recorded in much heavy bass for commercial attractions purpose, and 1000XM3 just able to reveal how much heavier the bass really are off the lines.

Below are some of my CD collection (out of thousands) . Some of them in gold or special edition

I EQ'ed the bass few steps down. but they're not as heavy after the sound optimizer.
I do use my other headphones/CIEMs for music. 1000xm3 for casual/watching videos especially when travelling

Oct 11, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #588 of 2,082
Why do you think so? Is it not matching with your views on sound quality?

CNet's Guttenberg has not reviewed this extensively but

"I gave the headphone to Steve Guttenberg, who writes CNET's The Audiophiliac column, for a listen. Steve can be hard on Bluetooth headphones but had very positive things to say about the WH-1000XM3: Nice treble, warm, natural midrange and bass that was deep but also defined. He didn't have any real complaints about the sound."

That anyone would review this headphones and not even mention that the bass might, to be generous, "not be to everyone's likening" or "appealing to bass heads specially" and instead say that it's actually amazing is completely incredible.

I still today after a month of ownership and daily use can't use this on LDAC without cringing at the bass.

And it's not just me wither, I gave this to a sound engineer I know and told him nothing to see his reaction and he was like "sorry that bass is just too much for me" arter 5 seconds. Seeing A LOT if not most people are saying the same here (basically settling for EQ over SBC to not return them), I'm doubting their impartiality.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #590 of 2,082
Sitting at 34184 ft with a big smile and my xm3s. Yes the bass is rich but the silence around makes it worth every penny. Using LDAC on my old NW zx2 and power amp as the player, so you can eq the bass a little. I am happy:)

Oct 11, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #591 of 2,082
Getting the bass tamed is very easy and once done the xM3 sounds brilliant. I have decided to keep them as there are more things that I like and less that I don't. Seriously, yes the stock bass signature is ridiculous, anybody saying otherwise I have to say I find shocking, the bass is certainly well overcooked, no doubt at all about that. Again, sorry to keep repeating myself, once adjusted, which is very, very easy to achieve this headphone sounds amazing and the noise cancellation seems very effective to me. I use these with public transit (buses) as a frame of reference.

Oct 11, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #592 of 2,082
Genuinely curious, why all the anger?

I’d just suggest folks listen for themselves...
I'm not angry, but I could ask you the same question. I was just responding to your sarcasm in kind. Also I'm just saying your view of the sound is at odds with most in this thread.
Absolutely, I agree. Everyone should decide for themselves. If you like the sound then that's the important thing.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #595 of 2,082
For using LDAC and lower the bass, the best way is use EQ on your MP3 device or smartphone, no?
Or am I wrong ?
I am using LDAC (not that I think it makes any difference in sound quality) and I use the EQ on my phone as provided through Onkyo HF Player.

Oct 11, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #597 of 2,082
I EQ'ed the bass few steps down. but they're not as heavy after the sound optimizer.
I do use my other headphones/CIEMs for music. 1000xm3 for casual/watching videos especially when travelling
I've compared those music downloaded from online music providers, OMG most of them have rripped into much heavy bass when compare to those I've personally ripped original audio CD's into FLAC/MP3.

I think those providers intentionally ripped songs with high bass gain for bass head? Or they are designed for Apple original earpiece and Airpod users? Most of us understand the Apple earpiece is super light on bass, close to no bass due to non sealed earpiece design

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #598 of 2,082
I've compared those music downloaded from online music providers, OMG most of them have rripped into much heavy bass when compare to those I've personally ripped original audio CD's into FLAC/MP3.

I think those providers intentionally ripped songs with high bass gain for bass head?
Streaming services must play the files provided to them by the music label. This is a requirement of their licensing agreement and the music labels are very strict. If you are hearing extra heavy bass, then it is what the music label gave them.

Oct 11, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #599 of 2,082
Oooooh yes, if you commute it is a must to own.

for the NC yes but for sound quality IMHO, your good with the 550

Yes, I'm mostly asking about sound quality, and maximum overall volume. I like the pxc 550, but compared to my pioneer hdj 1500 and fiio q1, the volume is low. I know that while commuting the volume might be an issue, but I'd like the option for it.

Oct 11, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #600 of 2,082
Streaming services must play the files provided to them by the music label. This is a requirement of their licensing agreement and the music labels are very strict. If you are hearing extra heavy bass, then it is what the music label gave them.
I can totally understand their commercial decision to change the tonal balance towards bass heavy approach, otherwise millions of Apple iPhone and Android phone users who's still using their low end original earpiece to listening to music will be very very unhappy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back