SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Dec 31, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #1,186 of 2,082
Thanks Graham, your correct it has EQ presets but the actual App EQ does not stay on the headphone.

I have to say I really appreciated the 2 device at one time functionality of the 550. It was great for work.

Dec 31, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #1,187 of 2,082
I reviewed the PXC550 so can give some feedback on it. Comfort wise it is a tight headphone that initially was uncomfortable after extended use but over a week became more comfortable to wear. But it has pretty shallow cups and is a bit more clampy that the Sony 1000XM2/3 headphone so will not be better than either Sony model. Sound wise it is a more balanced siganture than the Sony's. One potential issue to not on the PXC550 is that does not go really loud. For me thos was fine but I know many people found it to be too quiet.

Personally I preferred the sound of the PXC550 over any Bose I have tried. As for it being better than Sony it would be better to just point out that it is a different signature.

ANC wise the 550 is less than either Bose or Sony.

One thing the 550 does better than the others is it can be paired to 2 devices simultaneously so you can be listening to music on your computer and answering a call on your phone or vice versa. It also has the ability to have an EQ set that stays with the phone even when connected to another device by BT. The app also supports Tidal music if your into that sort of thing. It actually has some features I have not seen on any other ANC/BT headphone.
Picked up the PXC550 today and listened to a few songs via Tidal and the volume is more than enough and comfort it great so far. I will test is out more tomorrow.

Dec 31, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #1,188 of 2,082
I think the Google Assistant feature is an understated functionality, while walking/jogging, I don't have to get my phone out if I have a text/email, just have Google read out the message, I can reply too using the headset

Dec 31, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #1,189 of 2,082
Picked up the PXC550 today and listened to a few songs via Tidal and the volume is more than enough and comfort it great so far. I will test is out more tomorrow.
awesome! Glad your liking them :). I really liked the PXC550 when I reviewed them.

Jan 1, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #1,190 of 2,082
I've start to think, most others ANC bluetooth headphones has achieve longer playback/battery time was through having light bass or some call it "articulate bass, neutral bass, balanced sound".

So if Sony 1000XM3 choose the same "light bass" SQ approach, think it battery life can be 35-40 hours or even more. Anyone have the same thinking?

Jan 1, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #1,191 of 2,082
I've start to think, most others ANC bluetooth headphones has achieve longer playback/battery time was through having light bass or some call it "articulate bass, neutral bass, balanced sound".

So if Sony 1000XM3 choose the same "light bass" SQ approach, think it battery life can be 35-40 hours or even more. Anyone have the same thinking?
There are numerous things that affect battery consumption -- ANC, volume level, codec selection, Bluetooth, etc. I doubt that bass tuning is a major factor, but you can test it yourself by adjusting the bass in the equalizer and Clear Bass settings.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #1,192 of 2,082
I keep getting amazed at how effective the noise cancellation of the Sony 1000XM3 is. During a recent trip to Europe we flew a short hop on a propeller plane and the XM3 did a very good job at dampening the noise from the propellers. After another leg my wife (who uses a Bose QC35) complained about noisy kids in the row behind us. I was vaguely aware that there were kids there, but they didn't bother me during the flight. In fact, the XM3 cancels noise so effectively that I have to remove it to hear what the flight staff is saying - and yes, I know that you can place your hand on the right earcup, but that looks a bit strange so I prefer to take them off.

Of course, the inevitable result of this is that my wife now wants me to get an XM3 for her, so I guess the next birthday present has been selected!

Jan 2, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #1,193 of 2,082
I've got a pair of QC35IIs, QC20s, and a Chinese-branded NC headphones that I use for travel quite often. Honestly, I'm impressed with the WH-1000XM3s even though I've used Bose for almost a decade. I can agree with everyone else that it's noise cancelling capabilities are impressive and far better than Bose. I think my only complaint is the overall size and prefer the smaller stature of the QC35s. I also believe they're lighter.

I am also blown away by the battery life and welcome the USB C with open arms.

Jan 4, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #1,196 of 2,082
So what’s the conclusion Sony or Bose?
AKG N700NC :wink:

Or Sony if you want the widest range of BT codecs, best ANC, and like a heavier bass oriented sound signature.

Jan 4, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #1,197 of 2,082
Does anyone have any experience with Best Buy in Canada? I'm trying to find out what situation I'm in if I open these and have the driver flex/crackling on my unit but it's taking forever to get a solid, in-writing response out of the support.

Will I be able to exchange my pair? Return it? Does it matter if it's in stock at the time?

I have until the 18th to decide but want to have some time to test before then if possible.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #1,199 of 2,082
Does anyone have any experience with Best Buy in Canada? I'm trying to find out what situation I'm in if I open these and have the driver flex/crackling on my unit but it's taking forever to get a solid, in-writing response out of the support.

Will I be able to exchange my pair? Return it? Does it matter if it's in stock at the time?

I have until the 18th to decide but want to have some time to test before then if possible.
Once you open the box, they are your forever, they don't take back opened headphones...

Edit: sorry reread your post. You would have to buy their warranty and I do not know how fussy they are about replacing products if you claim they are having a problem. My suspicion is it would be a complete hassle...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back