SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Dec 30, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #1,172 of 2,082
From the look of em I sooo wanted to like the B&W PX'S but they sounded rotten. (Like through a cardboard tube)

Dec 30, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #1,173 of 2,082
FF68DA2B-7576-410D-BD46-660439CD9156.jpeg
My hands free, semi wireless, active noise cancelling, Hi Res, LDAC Bluetooth rig

FiiO M9
ES100
Bose QC 20

Running:
Fiio Music
Qobuz Sublime+ subscription (400 gig micro sim for hi res downloads!)
Spotify premium subscription

My iPhone's message alerts / rings & calls get though to me also. Headphone wires and ES100 can clip to a shirt for the gym or jacket / top shirt pocket for walking / commuting / in home. It all fits inside a jacket pocket. The active noise cancelling is world class. I can wear a warm winter hat over them. Most people i bump into don't notice I am wearing headphones.

Locations use:
Home
Office
Gym
Cafes
Commuting
Walking
Driving (attach car aux to the ES100)
Shower (attach Bluetooth speaker to the ES100)
Home Hifi (attach Hifi to the ES100)

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #1,174 of 2,082
However I have had 2 issues. 1. Bluetooth dropouts/skipping especially when in busy areas (do these things suffer from interference?) even though my phone is less than 2ft away, but also occurs at home

I am having the exact same issue, especially when in bed or on the sofa, laying down and the cans touching the pillow. No matter what mode I use, it skips at least once every minute, which is super annoying. The phone (iPhone XS) is only a few feet away.

Any ideas how to solve this problem? Otherwise I love these cans...

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #1,175 of 2,082
I am having the exact same issue, especially when in bed or on the sofa, laying down and the cans touching the pillow. No matter what mode I use, it skips at least once every minute, which is super annoying. The phone (iPhone XS) is only a few feet away.

Any ideas how to solve this problem? Otherwise I love these cans...
I tried everything I could think off - changing the codec, sample rate, bits per sample etc and nothing made much of a difference, so I returned it.

Dec 30, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #1,177 of 2,082
Ended up not returning my XM3's just yet since Best Buy keeps giving me the runaround with their customer service. I've just been spending the day so far looking at all my options, including:
  • Sony WH-1000XM3 ($449 CDN + Tax - 10% Discount)
  • Master & Dynamic MW50+ ($499 CDN + Tax)
  • Bowers & Wilkins PX ($419 CDN + Tax)
  • AKG N700NC ($379 CDN + Tax)
  • KEF Space One Wireless ($399 CDN + Tax)
  • B&O Beoplay H9i ($499 CDN + Tax)
  • V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless Codex Edition ($393 CDN + Tax)
It's a list of "If X did Y better, I'd get it." and it's super frustrating.
  • Sony = Needs better sound & build.
  • Master & Dynamic = Needs better isolation
  • Bowers & Wilkins = Needs better comfort
  • AKG = Needs better build & comfort.
  • KEF = Looks like it will be heavy on the head?
  • B&O Beoplay H9i = Mixed reviews?
  • V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless = Not a huge fan of the looks.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #1,178 of 2,082
I actually find the AKG build quality not to bad and while not quite as comfortable as the Sony they are close. They have slightly more clamp which ensure they have good seal.

The AKG use buttons instead of touch controls and while a bit on the small side I find them way less finicky.

The one issue build wise is the length adjusters are extremely loose which is annoying. But so far no creaks or groans.

The cups are more compact depth wise than the KEF and NAD headphones and have slightly larger ear openings than them so are not so tight feeling around the ear.

Dec 30, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #1,179 of 2,082
Ended up not returning my XM3's just yet since Best Buy keeps giving me the runaround with their customer service. I've just been spending the day so far looking at all my options, including:
  • Sony WH-1000XM3 ($449 CDN + Tax - 10% Discount)
  • Master & Dynamic MW50+ ($499 CDN + Tax)
  • Bowers & Wilkins PX ($419 CDN + Tax)
  • AKG N700NC ($379 CDN + Tax)
It's a list of "If X did Y better, I'd get it." and it's super frustrating.
  • Sony = Needs better sound & build.
  • Master & Dynamic = Needs better isolation
  • Bowers & Wilkins = Needs better comfort
  • AKG = Needs better build & comfort.
These have very different sound signature.
What sound do you like?/do you want is the most important thing.
If you want a more analytical sound you should go for the M&D or AKG.
If you like full sound and to tap your foot I would vote for the Sony's.
B&O H9 (v1, not heard v2) is also a very good hp, but ANC is just so so.
Personally I think the BW PX sounded strange, especially with voices and ANC.

I am very satisfied with the Sony's and I think its the best hp for my taste.
They sound open, engaging, fun and makes most music sound nice. The good comfort and excellent ANC is bonus.
My other hp are just gathering dust after I got the XM3.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #1,181 of 2,082
What do people who have or had the Bose QC2 vs Sennheiser PXC550 find to be better in sound and comfort? I have the XM2 but I'm looking for something lighter and more breathable. This would be in addition to my Sony.
Thanks in advance!

Dec 30, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #1,182 of 2,082
Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #1,184 of 2,082
What do people who have or had the Bose QC2 vs Sennheiser PXC550 find to be better in sound and comfort? I have the XM2 but I'm looking for something lighter and more breathable. This would be in addition to my Sony.
Thanks in advance!
I reviewed the PXC550 so can give some feedback on it. Comfort wise it is a tight headphone that initially was uncomfortable after extended use but over a week became more comfortable to wear. But it has pretty shallow cups and is a bit more clampy that the Sony 1000XM2/3 headphone so will not be better than either Sony model. Sound wise it is a more balanced siganture than the Sony's. One potential issue to not on the PXC550 is that does not go really loud. For me thos was fine but I know many people found it to be too quiet.

Personally I preferred the sound of the PXC550 over any Bose I have tried. As for it being better than Sony it would be better to just point out that it is a different signature.

ANC wise the 550 is less than either Bose or Sony.

One thing the 550 does better than the others is it can be paired to 2 devices simultaneously so you can be listening to music on your computer and answering a call on your phone or vice versa. It also has the ability to have an EQ set that stays with the phone even when connected to another device by BT. The app also supports Tidal music if your into that sort of thing. It actually has some features I have not seen on any other ANC/BT headphone.

Dec 31, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #1,185 of 2,082
I reviewed the PXC550 so can give some feedback on it. Comfort wise it is a tight headphone that initially was uncomfortable after extended use but over a week became more comfortable to wear. But it has pretty shallow cups and is a bit more clampy that the Sony 1000XM2/3 headphone so will not be better than either Sony model. Sound wise it is a more balanced siganture than the Sony's. One potential issue to not on the PXC550 is that does not go really loud. For me thos was fine but I know many people found it to be too quiet.

Personally I preferred the sound of the PXC550 over any Bose I have tried. As for it being better than Sony it would be better to just point out that it is a different signature.

ANC wise the 550 is less than either Bose or Sony.

One thing the 550 does better than the others is it can be paired to 2 devices simultaneously so you can be listening to music on your computer and answering a call on your phone or vice versa. It also has the ability to have an EQ set that stays with the phone even when connected to another device by BT. The app also supports Tidal music if your into that sort of thing. It actually has some features I have not seen on any other ANC/BT headphone.

I have had the PXC550’s for over 12mths, they replaced 2 sets of Bose QC35’s that I just couldn’t live with due to their steely/gritty/unatural top end.
The 550’s have been very good, the sound signature suits me far better than the qc35’s. Just as much top end but smooth and integrated.
The Senn app has a true parametric equaliser built in but it doesn’t stay fixed when the PXC’s are switched to another device/after power off.
But there is also another equaliser of 3 presets (speech, movie and club) plus a 4th adjustable preset (director) that stays fixed as a change to the sound signature for ever, until changed again.
I found that boosting the bottom end in director mode has really improved the sound of them (for me) - I now have some really good sub-bass slam which does not intrude on any other part of the audio spectrum.
The 550’s ANC is quite poor compared to the qc35, perhaps deliberately so to cut down the hiss level and audio subtraction caused by some ANC designs?
The earcups are a bit small for me and they are not quite as comfortable as the qc35,s but then very few are.
Many good things about the 550’s -
effortless on/off by twisting the earcup, auto-pause when removing them, tap the cup twice to get audio pass through which also pauses the music, easy to pair to 2 devices at once and to switch between as well as other previously paired devices.
They also can be used whilst being charged, in fact the usb port also works as a usb speaker device as well as a charge port
Call quality is reported to be very good to excellent although I cannot confirm as I have never used them fir taking/making calls...

Volume level can be a problem if you have a lot of older lower volume recordings and the ANC is not that brilliant but if they are not your main priorities then I would highly recommend them.

Santa brought me a pair of 1000mk3 for Christmas and I am currently doing a lot of comparing and trying to come to conclusions... :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back